Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Whirlpool Surround - Grout Between Tile and Wood Trim

This might be a little off-topic for this group but I'm guessing I am
not the first to encounter this. We are finishing the master bath in
our new home and I'm working on the whirlpool tub surround. The tub
deck is covered with porcelain tile that has been grouted with latex
fortified grout. I have installed a decorative trim around the
surround leaving a grout gap of about 1/4" between tile and the oak
trim.

Question is: Should I use the tile grout in this area or a latex tub/
tile caulk? I think the grout would look good between the wood and
tile but I'm concerned about staining the wood and the grout cracking.

Thanks for suggestions.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 31, 11:47*am, RonB wrote:
This might be a little off-topic for this group but I'm guessing I am
not the first to encounter this. *We are finishing the master bath in
our new home and I'm working on the whirlpool tub surround. *The tub
deck is covered with porcelain tile that has been grouted with latex
fortified grout. *I have installed a decorative trim around the
surround leaving a grout gap of about 1/4" between tile and the oak
trim.

Question is: Should I use the tile grout in this area or a latex tub/
tile caulk? *I think the grout would look good between the wood and
tile but I'm concerned about staining the wood and the grout cracking.

Thanks for suggestions.

RonB

The wood *will* expand & contract and the grout will fail. Caulk.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Limp Arbor wrote:
Question is: Should I use the tile grout in this area or a latex tub/
tile caulk? I think the grout would look good between the wood and
tile but I'm concerned about staining the wood and the grout cracking.

Thanks for suggestions.

RonB

The wood *will* expand & contract and the grout will fail. Caulk.

What he said. I've had great success with this stuff...
http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-52116/Detail

The small aerosol can is great, because it is easy to get in and around
tight spaces, and gives you better control because you're holding it
down by the tip. Not having to constantly squeeze a trigger, alone,
makes it worth it.

Also, this stuff will NOT grow mold or fungus.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 08:47:13 -0700 (PDT), RonB
wrote:

This might be a little off-topic for this group but I'm guessing I am
not the first to encounter this. We are finishing the master bath in
our new home and I'm working on the whirlpool tub surround. The tub
deck is covered with porcelain tile that has been grouted with latex
fortified grout. I have installed a decorative trim around the
surround leaving a grout gap of about 1/4" between tile and the oak
trim.

Question is: Should I use the tile grout in this area or a latex tub/
tile caulk? I think the grout would look good between the wood and
tile but I'm concerned about staining the wood and the grout cracking.

Thanks for suggestions.

RonB

....there are "grout-like" products that will help you in this
situation...Custom (which HD carries) makes a squeeze-tube "Polyblend
Ceramic Tile Caulk" formulated for use around tubs and countertops. It
has a texture like hard grout, but will afford the flexibility needed
between dissimilar surfaces. If you use hard grout it will crack
along the wood edge. Make sure your wood is sealed and finished REAL
good.

cg
Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey - Thanks to All. I am going to use the same colored tub/tile
caulk that I used between the tub and deck tile; and between the wall
tile and the deck surface tiles. Should maintain a good flexible
closure.

RonB