Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Laminating sheet metal

wrote in message
I've just finished up rebuilding my shop built drum sander this
weekend and I'm really happy with how it's turned out, more on that
coming in the future. The problem is that I decided to use that
phenolic coated plywood for the top surface of the table. I used the
same stuff on my router table and it's held up pretty well there. But
after 15 minutes of use on the sander it's already scratched to hell,
so clearly it's not going to hold up. Doh!

The table is a stress-skin design with the 3/4 ply on top, about 1-1/2
high box made from 3/4 ply, and the bottom is 3/8 ply. It's about
30"x20", was a fair bit of work, and fits perfectly.

It seems like the only thing that's going to hold up is going to be
stainless steel. I highly doubt I'm going to get anything to stick to
that phenolic. So I'm thinking I need to screw 1/4 ply over it, then
I can laminate to that. Can I laminate steel to wood? Contact
cement?

-Kevin

Can you get a sheet of that slick UHMV plastic? Screw it down and replace
as needed.