Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Resources on working brass

I am interested in seeing what simple methods are out there for
working brass. I found a great source of brass stock online and have
considered the following tools I currently have at my disposal:

band saw
disc sander (plate mounted as saw blade in ts)
dremel tool

I need to make some understatedly decorative pivots - ? - plates
mounted on the sides of a pair of stacked cherry file trays that will
allow the top one to pivot up and away from the bottom, exposing the
bottom file tray's contents.

I have also been considering brass carving on the face (decorative)
but did not turn up anything on "the google".

Perhaps piercing for a lighter look as the pieces will be about 3/4
inch wide to help prevent racking as the upper file tray is lifted.

I'm thinking drill and dremel. Not enough work to warrant a nice
jigsaw (which I don't see another use for as I look at my extensive
and horribly overdue honeydew list). Then patinated in some fashion.
Wonder if I could fake that roughish sand-cast look somehow and
patinate it? That would be attractive against the cherry.

Thanks for any assistance with resources on brass working.

D'ohBoy