Mike Bittel

Default Molding Process

After several posts to this grouip and the advice of many I decided to
purchase a Jet Planer/Molder. I found some cool profiles that I like at
moldingknives.com and need to order those too.

I just had a few general questions about the process...

1. I am creating a 11/16" X 2 1/4" casing out of red oak. I was planning
to buy 1-By Oak from my local lumberyard. I know that I need to plane the
thickness down to 11/16" but what width should I start out with? I just
want to minimize on waste.

2. Does it make sense for me to purchase stock from my lumber company (for
example Red Oak 1x4 @ $1.59/ft) or would I get a better deal by going to a
lumber mill?

3. I am planning to buy the knives from moldingknives.com. This seems like
a decent supplier but I welcome other sources if anyone has them.

Thanks,
-Mike

Jeff Thunder

In article ,
"Mike Bittel" writes:
After several posts to this grouip and the advice of many I decided to
purchase a Jet Planer/Molder. I found some cool profiles that I like at
moldingknives.com and need to order those too.

1. I am creating a 11/16" X 2 1/4" casing out of red oak. I was planning
to buy 1-By Oak from my local lumberyard. I know that I need to plane the
thickness down to 11/16" but what width should I start out with? I just
want to minimize on waste.

You might want to rethink the planing part. Typically, your final molding
thickness will be less than the thickness of the stock before you start to
run it through the machine. It's safest to try things out on a small (scrap)
piece first. FWIW, I usually do just fine with stock about 1/16" wider than
finished dimension. It's important that your stock have a consistent width.
Running it through a planer on edge works well for this.

2. Does it make sense for me to purchase stock from my lumber company (for
example Red Oak 1x4 @ $1.59/ft) or would I get a better deal by going to a
lumber mill?

Do you have the equipment to take rough stock and mill it to size?

3. I am planning to buy the knives from moldingknives.com. This seems like
a decent supplier but I welcome other sources if anyone has them.

The knives Grizzly sells for their molder work just fine in the Jet.
They have a decent selection of profiles and good prices.

Have fun. These machines are pretty slick!

--
Jeff Thunder
The From: header above is wrong on porpoise