Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Jet JWP-16OS: 16" 3HP Planer

All,

I've had this planer for several years, and it has been doing a great
job considering what I've thrown at it. But recently, the height
adjustment wheel will sometimes move as the stock goes through. I've
verified that both table locks are snug, but that doesn't mean that
the cutter head isn't moving over the course of the cut.

Generally, I don't take a heavy cut - usually only turn the handle 1/4
- 1/3 of a rotation at a time. But this seems to happen when I have a
wide board, or one that has some "rough" grain or knots.

I was just wondering if anyone else was having this problem, or if
there was an adjustment I didn't read about in the manual.

Thanks,
Tim
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim" wrote in message
All,

I've had this planer for several years, and it has been doing a great
job considering what I've thrown at it. But recently, the height
adjustment wheel will sometimes move as the stock goes through. I've
verified that both table locks are snug, but that doesn't mean that
the cutter head isn't moving over the course of the cut.

Generally, I don't take a heavy cut - usually only turn the handle 1/4
- 1/3 of a rotation at a time. But this seems to happen when I have a
wide board, or one that has some "rough" grain or knots.

I was just wondering if anyone else was having this problem, or if
there was an adjustment I didn't read about in the manual.

Thanks,
Tim

IMHO if the locks are snug they are not snug enough. They really should
prevent this from happening.
Anyway, I had a planer that had no locks at all that would "self adjust"
during use. The fix was to remove all lash/slack in the adjustment gears.
I let the repair shop make this adjustment.

13" planer Jeff Woodworking 18 January 8th 08 10:09 AM
Rockwell-Invicta 6"x13" planer Brad[_2_] Woodworking 1 November 22nd 07 01:04 AM
For Sale - Porter 16" jionter and Delta 18" Wedgebed planer Marty Phee Woodworking 0 October 17th 06 03:53 PM
"planer friendly" glues? marc rosen Woodworking 0 January 3rd 06 12:47 AM
Should I purchase this used 8" jointer & 15" planer??? [email protected] Woodworking 11 November 11th 05 03:59 AM