Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A BORG Story

I walked into my local BORG, located a materials cart, and went to the sheet
goods section to buy some 1/4" birch plywood and 1/4" MDF. I looked around
for awhile and a young man came up and helpfully asked whether he could help
me. Sure, I said and told him what I wanted. He replied that they don't
stock those any more. As I stood there speechless, he offered my hardboard
instead of MDF and showed some yellowish looking plywood (all very warped).
He did not know what kind of wood the yellow plywood was, but he knew it was
from China. He then told me they had some of what I wanted left over cut
into 2x4 foot sections, which served my needs for the moment, but....

As I wandered about I also noticed that they are now stocking plywood in
metric thicknesses. I really don't know how to substitute for 1/4" birch,
which I use a lot of for cabinet door panels. Oh well, the good part of the
story is I now have almost no reason at all to enter a BORG. That's worth
something!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John B" wrote in message
[...]

Which is why you need a good working relationship with a LUMBERYARD.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John B" wrote in message
[...]

My local lumberyard only carries plywood made in China, however the local
Lowes carries US and Canada made Plywood. Go Figure?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John B" wrote in message
I walked into my local BORG, located a materials cart, and went to the
sheet goods section to buy some 1/4" birch plywood and 1/4" MDF. I looked
around for awhile and a young man came up and helpfully asked whether he
could help me. Sure, I said and told him what I wanted. He replied that
they don't stock those any more. As I stood there speechless, he offered my
hardboard instead of MDF and showed some yellowish looking plywood (all
very warped). He did not know what kind of wood the yellow plywood was, but
he knew it was from China. He then told me they had some of what I wanted
left over cut into 2x4 foot sections, which served my needs for the moment,
but....

Ask another "clerk" get another answer. I was told that the company that
manufactured the "fence gate kit" that they had been stocking, went out of
business a couple of years ago. I have been buying them elsewhere ever
since.

As I wandered about I also noticed that they are now stocking plywood in
metric thicknesses. I really don't know how to substitute for 1/4" birch,
which I use a lot of for cabinet door panels. Oh well, the good part of
the story is I now have almost no reason at all to enter a BORG. That's
worth something!

Is it sold as metric or is it simply not 3/4", 1/4", etc? Where have you
been buying actual 1/4" thick plywood lately? I have not seen that stuff in
over 10 years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John B wrote:
[...]

Yeah, and if you can *find* their so-called 1/4" MDF, you will find that
it's not a true 1/4" but something less than that (the same thickness as
1/4" plywood I suppose). I still have some TRUE 1/4" MDF that's
incredibly useful; I use it for jigs and all kinds of stuff, but now I'm
not sure anyone even makes it any more.

And don't get me started on the plywood thing...

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Upscale"
wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
Is it sold as metric or is it simply not 3/4", 1/4", etc? Where have
you
been buying actual 1/4" thick plywood lately? I have not seen that
stuff

in
over 10 years.

Neither have I, but I suspect most home owners buying 1/4" ply at the Borg
pickup 6mm without knowing (or caring) about the difference.

So what Borg is it, that sells 6mm plywood? All I've seen for several
years is
5.5mm or 5mm.

Probably the ones in Canada. In Houston I mostly see 7/32" sold as 1/4" or
23/32" sold as 3/4".

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Steve Turner wrote in news:q4Qul.12593$pr6.11835
@flpi149.ffdc.sbc.com:

And don't get me started on the plywood thing...

Well, I grew up in Holland and was all metric until '69, when it slowly
started to fade some. Guess my surprise when I went back and found a Borg
("Gamma") that had what looked like 8x4 ft sheetgoods with absolutely crayz
measurements in cm.

It is all in the eyes of the beholder. Just a pain to measure accurately,
whether in cm, mm, or SAE.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

Odd - Lowe's carried Chile wood - owned by the oil cartel. Texas species
of tree. Figures. Take the jobs, take the business, take the species developed
for efficient plywood production. Figures.

Martin