Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Inspiration--Steampunk Workshop

More brass than wood, but inspirational nonetheless.

http://steampunkworkshop.com/

Also, he's got a link to the RepRap http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/WebHome
which I had never heard of before--it's conceptually similar to that gadget
that uses a laser to grow parts out of a pool of plastic--less precise but
can work with a wider range of materials. Again not woodworking, but looks
interesting nonetheless, especially considering that it's open sourced and
DIY.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
More brass than wood, but inspirational nonetheless.

http://steampunkworkshop.com/

Also, he's got a link to the RepRap
http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/WebHome which I had never heard of
before--it's conceptually similar to that gadget that uses a laser to
grow parts out of a pool of plastic--less precise but can work with a
wider range of materials. Again not woodworking, but looks interesting
nonetheless, especially considering that it's open sourced and DIY.

Cool! I wonder if there's a SketchUp plug-in for that. ;-)

I'm off to look at UV lasers...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
More brass than wood, but inspirational nonetheless.

http://steampunkworkshop.com/

Also, he's got a link to the RepRap
http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/WebHome which I had never heard of
before--it's conceptually similar to that gadget that uses a laser to
grow parts out of a pool of plastic--less precise but can work with a
wider range of materials. Again not woodworking, but looks
interesting nonetheless, especially considering that it's open
sourced and DIY.

Cool! I wonder if there's a SketchUp plug-in for that. ;-)

I'm off to look at UV lasers...

The RepRap doesn't use a laser, instead it uses an extruder--that way it can
work with most thermoplastics and not just UV-hardening resins. One of the
neat things about it is that it's designed so that the pieces can be made
using a RepRap--one of the rituals of the community is that the first
project one does on a RepRap is make the parts for two more and distribute
them to others at cost. Can be built for less than the price of a Ridgid
table saw. There's another project that uses a laser, but that one looks
like one's into loaded Unisaw price territory.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J. Clarke wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote:

I'm off to look at UV lasers...

The RepRap doesn't use a laser, instead it uses an extruder--that way it
can work with most thermoplastics and not just UV-hardening resins. One
of the neat things about it is that it's designed so that the pieces can
be made using a RepRap--one of the rituals of the community is that the
first project one does on a RepRap is make the parts for two more and
distribute them to others at cost. Can be built for less than the price
of a Ridgid table saw. There's another project that uses a laser, but
that one looks like one's into loaded Unisaw price territory.

I like the idea of the print head extruder, but I've worked on a project
where we made several generations of (semi-precision) prototype parts
with one of the laser devices, and I confess: I've been thoroughly spoiled.

Once I had my Unisaur, I knew there was no going back.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 13, 9:58*am, Morris Dovey wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
More brass than wood, but inspirational nonetheless.

http://steampunkworkshop.com/

Also, he's got a link to the RepRap
http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/WebHomewhich I had never heard of
before--it's conceptually similar to that gadget that uses a laser to
grow parts out of a pool of plastic--less precise but can work with a
wider range of materials. *Again not woodworking, but looks interesting
nonetheless, especially considering that it's open sourced and DIY.

Cool! I wonder if there's a SketchUp plug-in for that. ;-)

If it doesn't, I wouldn't be interested. G ( and, you, sir, have a
touch of the ladle/paddle...)

Other than that, that whole deal is some totallyawesomefarking
amazing. But... I am having too much fun as it is. Any more and I'd
explode.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
J. Clarke wrote:
More brass than wood, but inspirational nonetheless.

http://steampunkworkshop.com/

Also, he's got a link to the RepRap
http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/WebHome which I had never heard of
before--it's conceptually similar to that gadget that uses a laser to
grow parts out of a pool of plastic--less precise but can work with a
wider range of materials. Again not woodworking, but looks interesting
nonetheless, especially considering that it's open sourced and DIY.

Cool! I wonder if there's a SketchUp plug-in for that. ;-)

Actually there is a plug in for Sketchup to run a 3D printer.

I'm off to look at UV lasers...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

"Morris Dovey"

Cool! I wonder if there's a SketchUp plug-in for that. ;-)

Actually there is a plug in for Sketchup to run a 3D printer.

You mean this foam printer?:

http://www.phlatboyz.com/

It would be fun to make model airplanes with.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote

"Morris Dovey"

Cool! I wonder if there's a SketchUp plug-in for that. ;-)

Actually there is a plug in for Sketchup to run a 3D printer.

You mean this foam printer?:

http://www.phlatboyz.com/

It would be fun to make model airplanes with.

No, it creates a 3d model. I forget where I saw it but the news was
announcing the next version of the plug-in and that it was a huge
improvement IIRC.
I don't recall the exact plug-in however these links show what I am talking
about.

http://www.cadspan.com/tools

http://www.cadinfo.net/editorial/z402.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:10:43 -0500, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
.. .
J. Clarke wrote:
More brass than wood, but inspirational nonetheless.

http://steampunkworkshop.com/

Also, he's got a link to the RepRap
http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/WebHome which I had never heard of
before--it's conceptually similar to that gadget that uses a laser to
grow parts out of a pool of plastic--less precise but can work with a
wider range of materials. Again not woodworking, but looks interesting
nonetheless, especially considering that it's open sourced and DIY.

Cool! I wonder if there's a SketchUp plug-in for that. ;-)

Actually there is a plug in for Sketchup to run a 3D printer.

Are you guys using the Pro or free version of Sketchup?
Anyone tried the DVDs or online training from
http://www.go-2-school.com/ ?

I'd love a copy of SoftPLAN, Chief Architect, or ArchiCAD, but funds
don't match aspirations. My copy of Punch Home Design Architectural
Series 18 isn't doing what I want (simple hardline drawings for the
downtown Building Permit Nazis. I'm sure glad 99.8% of my work is in
the county!) TC3E is excruciatingly slow in manual mode, placing each
joist, stud, and board. sigh

Is the Layout prog the ticket for me?

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 22, 10:30*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Are you guys using the Pro or free version of Sketchup?

Pro has surprisingly few additional bells and whistles, but they're
critical bells and whistles. I bought my Pro license off of a guy on
eBay. His company had bought a bunch of seats and they were selling
off some of them. I think I paid something like $30 for mine. It was
a bit of a gamble, but the guy had good feedback and specific comments
about other people that had bought SU Pro from him.

Anyone tried the DVDs or online training fromhttp://www.go-2-school.com/?

I never paid for any. I downloaded the tutorial videos and burned
them to a disk, then I watched them on the big screen in the living
room with my feet up.

I'd love a copy of SoftPLAN, Chief Architect, or ArchiCAD, but funds
don't match aspirations. *My copy of Punch Home Design Architectural
Series 18 isn't doing what I want (simple hardline drawings for the
downtown Building Permit Nazis. I'm sure glad 99.8% of my work is in
the county!) TC3E is excruciatingly slow in manual mode, placing each
joist, stud, and board. *sigh

Is the Layout prog the ticket for me?

Yep. You won't be doing Shuttle drawings in SketchUp, but for your
run-of-the-mill building department submittal it does the trick
quickly. It can make it look like you've done a lot more work than
you have...not that I'd ever work that way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Are you guys using the Pro or free version of Sketchup?

I own the Pro version, but not for woodworking and only because I
recently built a new single family residence for a client solely using
SketchUp for design and building plans (except for foundation).

The Pro version is primarily needed for "presentation" of models and
plans, additional printing options, and added import/export features. If
you don't need these functions, you really would be wasting money on the
Pro version as there is no difference in drawing/modeling functionality
between it and the free version.

Anyone tried the DVDs or online training from
http://www.go-2-school.com/ ?

Check out go-2-school.com free iTunes podcast/videos on the Apple's
iTunes store ... some of the best produced out there.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 04:38:10 -0500, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Are you guys using the Pro or free version of Sketchup?

I own the Pro version, but not for woodworking and only because I
recently built a new single family residence for a client solely using
SketchUp for design and building plans (except for foundation).

The Pro version is primarily needed for "presentation" of models and
plans, additional printing options, and added import/export features. If
you don't need these functions, you really would be wasting money on the
Pro version as there is no difference in drawing/modeling functionality
between it and the free version.

That's great news. It has been a slow year.

Anyone tried the DVDs or online training from
http://www.go-2-school.com/ ?

Check out go-2-school.com free iTunes podcast/videos on the Apple's
iTunes store ... some of the best produced out there.

Bueno, bwana.

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:

Hey Swingman, any chance that you could post a list of the ruby
scripts you use? I'm curious.

Too many to list. Here's a PrintScrn dump of my SketchUp Plug In DIR:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/PlugInDir.jpg

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

workshop Cuprager UK diy 11 August 22nd 06 07:38 PM
new workshop BuilderBob46 Woodworking 7 May 4th 06 03:49 AM
Workshop Temperature/Workshop Heat Unquestionably Confused Woodworking 1 February 20th 05 06:34 PM
workshop Steven Van Densen Woodturning 5 July 24th 03 10:26 PM
workshop Steven Van Densen Metalworking 11 July 24th 03 05:47 AM