Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hybrid Table Saw

I've been looking into getting a new table saw to replace our aging
Craftsman contractor style saw. I'm limited to 110v so the top of the
line for me is most likely a hybrid saw. I'm leaning towards the Delta
36-717B (Biesemeyer fence). The one concern I have with this saw is
that the motor trunions are table mounted versus cabinet mounted. From
what I've read, the table mounted option is more difficult to adjust -
I'm just not sure how much more difficult.

I've also looked at the Steel City saws, which offer cabinet mounted
trunions. The Steel City saws are now coming with the granite tops -
and the models I've looked at do not have T-slot type miter slots.
That and the general 'newness' of granite tables makes me a bit leary
of the Steel City.

Does anyone have any experience with the Delta saw? How big an issue
is the table mounted trunions? Any other concerns I should consider?
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

I have the Delta 36-750, a similar but earlier model. I have been
completely satisfied with it.
Adjustment was without difficulty. It has not needed re-adjustment since I
bought it approx. 15 years ago.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have the 717 with the Delta fence. I'm pretty pleased with the saw,
the power, the fence alignment and the general quality of the saw. I'm
just a weekend hobbyist and it suits my needs perfectly. The only
downside is the blade guard, which is a pain to remove, and the fact
that there is no riving knife.

Mike wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
[...]

Is granite a good saw surface? I sometimes am a bit clumsy and drop
things. Seems like a granite surface could get chipped.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"scritch" wrote in message

Is granite a good saw surface? I sometimes am a bit clumsy and drop
things. Seems like a granite surface could get chipped.

I would not have a tablesaw with a granite top. Unless you are very careful,
in a few years you will have enough chips in it to make you regret it. I
have never used a granite top saw but have used surface plates for years. It
chips very easly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 12, 9:39*pm, "CW" wrote:
"scritch" wrote in message

Is granite a good saw surface? *I sometimes am a bit clumsy and drop
things. *Seems like a granite surface could get chipped.

I would not have a tablesaw with a granite top. Unless you are very careful,
in a few years you will have enough chips in it to make you regret it. I
have never used a granite top saw but have used surface plates for years. It
chips very easly.

Steel City puts a 10 year warranty on the granite top - that would
ease my mind as far as chipping goes. The big drawback with the
granite top for me is that the miter slots do not have the t-slots
that accept the washer on the bottom of the miter bar. Also, the
throat plate is on the thin side and rectangular - I believe that the
Delta saw uses a standard sized, oval plate - much easier/cheaper to
find dado/zero clearance inserts.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
m...

"scritch" wrote in message

Is granite a good saw surface? I sometimes am a bit clumsy and drop
things. Seems like a granite surface could get chipped.

I would not have a tablesaw with a granite top. Unless you are very
careful, in a few years you will have enough chips in it to make you
regret it. I have never used a granite top saw but have used surface
plates for years. It chips very easly.

Darned granite! It's just the latest 'sexy' gimick to come down the
pike. As for guarantees, you can bet that the bean counters are all over
the details and the one that sticks out is the chipping of the surface.
It's probably not covered for chips - only for fractures. In five years you
won't be able to find a saw still using this material.
As for the table mounted trunnion my Ridgid 3650 is made that way and it
uses a short levered cam to help to move the one end during adjustment.
I've only had to do it once in 5 years and it was quite easy. Ridgid has
also gone with the granite top- sheesh!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 12, 10:47*pm, "C & E" wrote:
"CW" wrote in message

m...

"scritch" wrote in message

[...]

Granite is cheap. It /is/ a sexy gimmick, IMHO. I don't think chips
would impede the table's usefulness.
What I don't like, is that magnetic fingerboards don't work.

BTW, I own a Delta hybrid 2 HP...with a General Biesemeier clone. I'm
very happy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 12, 11:20*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 12, 10:47*pm, "C & E" wrote:

"CW" wrote in message

om...

[...]

The model of my saw is 36-653C. It needs a link-belt as the one that
is on it is lumpy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

C & E wrote:

"CW" wrote in message
m...

"scritch" wrote in message

[...]

I think all this granite is a result of China getting into the granite
surface business. I bought a granite surface plate a couple of years
ago. $20, including shipping!!!!

I agree with you, this granite fad is not cast in stone, and will pass
as more and more slips result in chips.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:

I've been looking into getting a new table saw to replace our aging
Craftsman contractor style saw. I'm limited to 110v so the top of the
line for me is most likely a hybrid saw. I'm leaning towards the Delta
36-717B (Biesemeyer fence). The one concern I have with this saw is
that the motor trunions are table mounted versus cabinet mounted. From
what I've read, the table mounted option is more difficult to adjust -
I'm just not sure how much more difficult.

I have the 35-714 which appears to be the steel topped version of the
same saw. Though I'm new to woodworking and haven't used it much,
I've been pleased with it so far.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike" wrote in message
On Mar 12, 9:39 pm, "CW" wrote:
"scritch" wrote in message

Steel City puts a 10 year warranty on the granite top - that would
ease my mind as far as chipping goes.

Yeah, I bet that 10 year warrnaty does not cover abuse. Most all warranties
rule out abuse. Dropping something on it and breaking it would be
considered abuse.

The big drawback with the
granite top for me is that the miter slots do not have the t-slots
that accept the washer on the bottom of the miter bar. Also, the
throat plate is on the thin side and rectangular - I believe that the
Delta saw uses a standard sized, oval plate - much easier/cheaper to
find dado/zero clearance inserts.

I have never used the t-slots so that would not be a problem for me, I have
removed or not installed the washer on the accessories that use the washer
in the slot. For me it creates more problems that it solves.3

Make your own throat plates, in batches. I use 1/2" Baltic Birch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just a comment on "Delta saw uses a standard sized, oval plate": There are
actually quite a few different sizes, that look about the same because they
are the same oval shape. The new Delta takes pride in how much wider the
opening is, to make it easier to change the blade. Within a given
manufaturer they have not always been interchangeable between models. I
wanted to get an insert like Norm uses, with the interchangeable small
wooden inserts in an aluminum piece, and found they were no longer made for
my old Powermatic 63, so I had to crank up the milling machine and make one.
So don't assume because they are oval they are interchangeable!
Bob Wilson

"Leon" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
On Mar 12, 9:39 pm, "CW" wrote:
"scritch" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 12, 5:33*pm, Mike wrote, in part:

I've also looked at the Steel City saws, which offer cabinet mounted
trunions. The Steel City saws are now coming with the granite tops -
and the models I've looked at do not have T-slot type miter slots.
That and the general 'newness' of granite tables makes me a bit leary
of the Steel City.

I have the Steel City granite-topped 3 hp hybrid... has the t slots,
nervous about destroying them. Haven't removed the washers from my
miter gauges yet tho.

Chipped the edge of the throat plate opening (minor). Much more
careful now! Cannot use magnetic feather boards, but no rust.

So far, so good!

D'ohBoy