Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HF Dust Collector

One dust collector Harbor Freight sold got really good reviews, but
apparently they don't sell it any longer. Does anyone know if they simply
gave the same machine a new number, or if they made significant changes?

Also, has anyone ever used the 5-gallon bucket dust separator? It is, of
course, never going to be as good as a full cyclone, but is it worth the $8
they want?

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
One dust collector Harbor Freight sold got really good reviews, but
apparently they don't sell it any longer. Does anyone know if they simply
gave the same machine a new number, or if they made significant changes?

Also, has anyone ever used the 5-gallon bucket dust separator? It is, of
course, never going to be as good as a full cyclone, but is it worth the $8
they want?

Except for the bottom bag it looks just like the one I bought about six
years ago (on sale for $150). I use mine with two 55 gal drums with Lee
Valley separator lids and have been happy.

I don't know about the 5 gal separator, but this shop-built lash-up
works well:

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/MiniCyclone/

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 17 Feb 2009 21:48:05 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

One dust collector Harbor Freight sold got really good reviews, but
apparently they don't sell it any longer. Does anyone know if they simply
gave the same machine a new number, or if they made significant changes?

Also, has anyone ever used the 5-gallon bucket dust separator? It is, of
course, never going to be as good as a full cyclone, but is it worth the $8
they want?

Puckdropper

If anything, any pre-DC unit will protect the fan blade. I don't
have this separator, but I do have a trash-cap lid that was shop made.
The accept goes straight up and flares at the bottom. The inlet
makes a sharp turn against the upper trash-cap wall. I probably spent
3 hours to make it, but it does a fine job. The $8 lid for 5-gallon
bucket is better than nothing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
One dust collector Harbor Freight sold got really good reviews, but
apparently they don't sell it any longer. Does anyone know if they simply
gave the same machine a new number, or if they made significant changes?

Also, has anyone ever used the 5-gallon bucket dust separator? It is, of
course, never going to be as good as a full cyclone, but is it worth the
$8
they want?

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some
writers are incorrigible.

I just got the 5 gal. bucket top. I haven't had a chance to hook it up yet.
As soon as I do, and use it some, I'll give a mini review. I wonder about
emptying the bucket... 5 gal. just isn't a whole lot of wood dust/chips.
We'll see.

I think the $20 trashcan lid would be more useful. And, I even wonder if my
orig. idea of 2 hose fittings mounted on either the top or sides of a 20
gal. trashcan would be even more cost effective.

I will say this, the shop-vac set up I put in, works (much) better than I
thought it would.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

On Tue 17 Feb 2009 03:48:05p, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com
wrote in :

One dust collector Harbor Freight sold got really good reviews, but
apparently they don't sell it any longer. Does anyone know if they
simply gave the same machine a new number, or if they made significant
changes?

Also, has anyone ever used the 5-gallon bucket dust separator? It is,
of course, never going to be as good as a full cyclone, but is it
worth the $8 they want?

Puckdropper

Like Morris said, that looks like the one I bought except for the bottom
bag. I use a trash can separator with it.

I bought the five gallon separator when all I had was a shop vac. It filled
up pretty fast. I haven't used it since I put the shop vac inside a muffler
box.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

One dust collector Harbor Freight sold got really good reviews, but
apparently they don't sell it any longer. Does anyone know if they simply
gave the same machine a new number, or if they made significant changes?

Also, has anyone ever used the 5-gallon bucket dust separator? It is, of
course, never going to be as good as a full cyclone, but is it worth the
$8 they want?

Puckdropper

I just got a flier in the mail with it advertised. Been using mine for
several years, but made a few adjustments. I pulled the impeller off and
used it to power a cyclone, venting the dust outside the building. Do not
have the problem with losing cfm through the filter bag and get the dust
away from the shop.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" wrote in
:

I just got a flier in the mail with it advertised. Been using mine
for several years, but made a few adjustments. I pulled the impeller
off and used it to power a cyclone, venting the dust outside the
building. Do not have the problem with losing cfm through the filter
bag and get the dust away from the shop.

Deb

Thanks Deb, I've been trying to find out when it's going on sale.

I've been sold on the cyclone idea for a long time, so I'll have to see
about either building or buying one.

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote in
:

Puckdropper wrote:
One dust collector Harbor Freight sold got really good reviews, but
apparently they don't sell it any longer. Does anyone know if they
simply gave the same machine a new number, or if they made
significant changes?

Also, has anyone ever used the 5-gallon bucket dust separator? It
is, of course, never going to be as good as a full cyclone, but is it
worth the $8 they want?

Except for the bottom bag it looks just like the one I bought about
six years ago (on sale for $150). I use mine with two 55 gal drums
with Lee Valley separator lids and have been happy.

I don't know about the 5 gal separator, but this shop-built lash-up
works well:

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/MiniCyclone/

Maybe they improved it a little bit. (Or probably found a cheaper
supplier for the bottom bag.)

The MiniCyclone idea looks interesting. An hour or so of playing around
in the shop could easily yield a completed project. (The truely frugal
woodworker only needs 7" of 2x4, too!)

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dan wrote in
:

On Tue 17 Feb 2009 03:48:05p, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
:

One dust collector Harbor Freight sold got really good reviews, but
apparently they don't sell it any longer. Does anyone know if they
simply gave the same machine a new number, or if they made
significant changes?

Also, has anyone ever used the 5-gallon bucket dust separator? It
is, of course, never going to be as good as a full cyclone, but is it
worth the $8 they want?

Puckdropper

Like Morris said, that looks like the one I bought except for the
bottom bag. I use a trash can separator with it.

I bought the five gallon separator when all I had was a shop vac. It
filled up pretty fast. I haven't used it since I put the shop vac
inside a muffler box.

Well, the trash can separator looks like it'll work a little more
smoothly with the DC. Plus it looks like less maintenance.

I've just got to ask though... How big of grounding wire do I need for
the metal trash can? Is #12 going to be big enough, or should I take
apart a pair or jumper cables? (Do I need to drive a new grounding rod,
too?) :-)

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

The MiniCyclone idea looks interesting. An hour or so of playing around
in the shop could easily yield a completed project. (The truely frugal
woodworker only needs 7" of 2x4, too!)

OTOH, 21.625" of 2x4 cutoff is enough to take care of yourself /and/
have a second set to give away.

The guy who carried my second set away called back a year later to order
solar heating panels...

....and come to think of it, I /do/ still have some 2x4 cutoffs. Hmmm.

Thank you!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote

I've just got to ask though... How big of grounding wire do I need for
the metal trash can? Is #12 going to be big enough, or should I take
apart a pair or jumper cables? (Do I need to drive a new grounding rod,
too?) :-)

Don't forget the lightening rod!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
I've been sold on the cyclone idea for a long time

As have I, and thanks to a prior thread where it was noted that Grizzly
is currently offering free shipping on selected items, I finally took
the plunge and had one of these delivered:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP...ollector/G0440

Haven't installed any ducting yet, but so far so good. A very nice machine.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote

Puckdropper wrote:
I've been sold on the cyclone idea for a long time

As have I, and thanks to a prior thread where it was noted that Grizzly is
currently offering free shipping on selected items, I finally took the
plunge and had one of these delivered:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP...ollector/G0440

Haven't installed any ducting yet, but so far so good. A very nice
machine.

--

That ought to do the trick. Two questions. Do you have high enough ceiling
for that to go under? Did you get the noise reduction (muffler) kit?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 18, 8:18*am, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Steve Turner" *wrote

Puckdropper wrote:
I've been sold on the cyclone idea for a long time

As have I, and thanks to a prior thread where it was noted that Grizzly is
currently offering free shipping on selected items, I finally took the
plunge and had one of these delivered:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP...ollector/G0440

Haven't installed any ducting yet, but so far so good. *A very nice
machine.

--

That ought to do the trick. *Two questions. *Do you have high enough ceiling
for that to go under? *Did you get the noise reduction (muffler) kit?

I'm still looking into this source.
http://www.cycloneseparator.com/index2.html
Anybody here have any experience with this product/company?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Steve Turner" wrote

Puckdropper wrote:
I've been sold on the cyclone idea for a long time

As have I, and thanks to a prior thread where it was noted that Grizzly is
currently offering free shipping on selected items, I finally took the
plunge and had one of these delivered:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP...ollector/G0440

Haven't installed any ducting yet, but so far so good. A very nice
machine.

--

That ought to do the trick. Two questions. Do you have high enough ceiling
for that to go under? Did you get the noise reduction (muffler) kit?

Yes, my gara^h^h^h^h *shop* has 9-foot ceilings so there is plenty of
room, but it will fit under an 8-foot ceiling too. The spec sheet on
that web page mentions that the overall height is 93-1/4". If I
remember I will post a picture of it tonight.

I didn't get the muffler, but I thought about it. I wanted to see just
how loud it was first, and indeed this thing ROARS, but I can't imagine
that little muffler making a world of difference... I'm thinking some
kind of sound isolation box mounted over the motor would probably be
more effective, but I wouldn't want to do anything that would cause the
motor to overheat.

--
For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote in
:

Puckdropper wrote:
I've been sold on the cyclone idea for a long time

As have I, and thanks to a prior thread where it was noted that
Grizzly is currently offering free shipping on selected items, I
finally took the plunge and had one of these delivered:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP...ollector/G0440

Haven't installed any ducting yet, but so far so good. A very nice
machine.

You'll have to let me know how that works out for you. The feedback I
read on the Internet was about 50% positive, which is too low for
something that runs as much as that one does.

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
One dust collector Harbor Freight sold got really good reviews, but
apparently they don't sell it any longer. Does anyone know if they simply
gave the same machine a new number, or if they made significant changes?

Also, has anyone ever used the 5-gallon bucket dust separator? It is, of
course, never going to be as good as a full cyclone, but is it worth the
$8 they want?

Puckdropper
--

I believe that using a 30 gallon garbage can will be most effective and that
you can make an effective lid (I've seen them on the web) but be sure to

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dan Dan is offline

On Wed 18 Feb 2009 02:31:57a, "Lee Michaels"
wrote in news:008ed092$0$1030$c3e8da3
@news.astraweb.com:

"Puckdropper" wrote

I've just got to ask though... How big of grounding wire do I need for
the metal trash can? Is #12 going to be big enough, or should I take
apart a pair or jumper cables? (Do I need to drive a new grounding rod,
too?) :-)

Don't forget the lightening rod!

I've got it isolated by putting it on rubber casters and then never
touching it or going near it.

But now you've got me considering hooking it up to an inverter unit so I
can use the trash can to power the DC.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"C & E" wrote in
:

[...]

The Thien baffle looks like a cheap and easy way to improve a DC's
efficiency. Thanks.

Stopped by HF today, and they didn't have any of the 2 hp DC's in stock.
I got a rain check, so if they don't get any until the sale ends, I can
still get it for the sale price.

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a couple of their bucket top separator lids. I stack three buckets
on top each other with holes cut in the base of two so I have a very deep
container. I just wrapped the joints with duct tape. I have three of these
in a row with them in series for more capacity. The first one generally
fills to the top first. When I take it out to empty it, I slide the other
two over and put the newly emptied one in the last position before the
vacuum. It works great. I have tubing going in a ring around the shop to
the wool stations and also a separate set of tubes high and low with holes
drilled in them to pull in the airborn dust.

All that is connected to a wall mounted 6 HP vacuum.

Works great and is cheap.

I give the sawdust chips and shavings to a local scout troop to make fire
starters with. I suspect they have anough to repopulate a small forest at
this point.

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
One dust collector Harbor Freight sold got really good reviews, but
apparently they don't sell it any longer. Does anyone know if they simply
gave the same machine a new number, or if they made significant changes?

Also, has anyone ever used the 5-gallon bucket dust separator? It is, of
course, never going to be as good as a full cyclone, but is it worth the
$8
they want?

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some
writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 17 Feb 2009 21:48:05 GMT, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

One dust collector Harbor Freight sold got really good reviews, but
apparently they don't sell it any longer. Does anyone know if they simply
gave the same machine a new number, or if they made significant changes?

Also, has anyone ever used the 5-gallon bucket dust separator? It is, of
course, never going to be as good as a full cyclone, but is it worth the $8
they want?

Puckdropper

I'd have to dig out my manual, but other than the plastic bottom bag, it looks
like mine..
I can check on the micron and air flow claims on the old model, if needed..

As to cyclones, I've always heard that the 5 gal. ones were fro shop vacs and
too small for a DC..

Does it have 4" fittings, or 2 1/2"?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

JDS Dust Force or Harbor Freight dust collector? HerHusband Woodworking 4 October 28th 07 10:15 PM
JDS dust collector [email protected] Woodworking 0 June 27th 06 05:46 AM
HF Dust collector Jimmy Woodworking 11 December 9th 05 12:34 PM
Anyone have a JDS Dust-Force dust collector? [email protected] Woodworking 4 August 15th 05 05:48 PM
Dust Collector and compressing dust into burnable logs tiredofspam Woodworking 25 February 23rd 05 03:04 AM