Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Liquid Nails Type Products Question

I am putting up 1" foam board on the cellar walls and have a question
about "Liquid Nails" type products. The substrate is brick, our
basement wall is field stone to the ground level and 24" of brick
above that to the sill plate.

Years back (1976) I insulated a building by gluing foam board to the
concrete block using an adhesive that called for putting globs of glue
on the foam board, pressing the board to the wall, pulling back and
waiting about 10 minutes. Then when the board was pressed back onto
the wall it was THERE to stay. Great stuff!

I can't find that adhesive now. All the brands that H.D. and Lowes
carry (and several of the local lumber yards) carry are the type that
want you to press the board to the wall and brace or nail in place
until the adhesive cures. Nailing is not an option on the brick wall
and bracing is very awkward.

Any thought on where, or even if, that old type of contact adhesive is
available? Or is every thing so "safe" now that it is gone for good.

Thanks,

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
Danielson, CT

http://neme-s.org/
New England Model Engineering Society
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Errol Groff" wrote in message

I can't find that adhesive now. All the brands that H.D. and Lowes
carry (and several of the local lumber yards) carry are the type that
want you to press the board to the wall and brace or nail in place
until the adhesive cures. Nailing is not an option on the brick wall
and bracing is very awkward.

Any thought on where, or even if, that old type of contact adhesive is
available? Or is every thing so "safe" now that it is gone for good.

Thanks,

Errol Groff

Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
Danielson, CT

I used a polyurethane adhesive in a caulking gun cartridge that had a short
bracing time and holds very well. I got it at Chase Lumber in Woodstock but
I don't recall the brand. Aubuchon also carries some but the price is about
double what Chase charges.

There was a TV add for one of the construction adhesives where they guy put
the wood on a ceiling, hold it about 10 seconds and it is set. Anyone
remember? The neighbor was banging away and this guy comes over and glues
his hammer to the ceiling. Cute ad, but the brand escapes me.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 15, 2:52*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

snip

There was a TV add for one of the construction adhesives where they guy put
the wood on a ceiling, hold it about 10 seconds and it is set. *Anyone
remember? *The neighbor was banging away and this guy comes over and glues
his hammer to the ceiling. *Cute ad, but the brand escapes me.

Might have been Permatex Super something. The hammer demo was
possible, but a little extreme in reality. I've used a bunch on
projects for some months, and it does work fairly fast. The other
Permatex version is more of a regular construction adhesive and a
little cheaper. Most of the box stores should have it. HTH

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Talk to SikaFlex tech service in metro Detroit.

They have an 800#.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 15, 3:15*pm, Errol Groff wrote:
I am putting up 1" foam board on the cellar walls and have a question
about "Liquid Nails" type products. *The substrate is brick, our
basement wall is field stone to the ground level and 24" of brick
above that to the sill plate.

Years back (1976) I insulated a building by gluing foam board to the
concrete block using an adhesive that called for putting globs of glue
on the foam board, pressing the board to the wall, pulling back and
waiting about 10 minutes. *Then when the board was pressed back onto
the wall it was THERE to stay. *Great stuff!

I can't find that adhesive now. *All the brands that H.D. and Lowes
carry (and several of the local lumber yards) carry are the type that
want you to press the board to the wall and brace or nail in place
until the adhesive cures. *Nailing is not an option on the brick wall
and bracing is very awkward.

Be careful to read labels. Some of these contain chemicals which
DISSOLVE foam board

Posted to rec.woodworking

Errol Groff wrote:
[...]

Use two adhesives: One, like contact cement, that's very aggressive and
another, like Liquid Nails, that takes a bit to set but is otherwise
permanent.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I just installed some foam boards on my basement walls, and used "LocTite
Instant Grab" foamboad adhesive. It worked pretty much as advertised.

I live in the middle-Atlantic area, and the HDs and Lowes carry it here.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yeah, it's me again. You really should google (in quotes) "owens corning
basement insulation system". The furring strips embedded in the channels
hold the insulation in place and you really don't need adheisve. This is
what I used..

Dow "Wallmate" is a similar product.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 15, 4:55*pm, Joe wrote:
On Feb 15, 2:52*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

snip
There was a TV add for one of the construction adhesives where they guy put
the wood on a ceiling, hold it about 10 seconds and it is set. *Anyone
remember? *The neighbor was banging away and this guy comes over and glues
his hammer to the ceiling. *Cute ad, but the brand escapes me.

Might have been Permatex Super something. The hammer demo was
possible, but a little extreme in reality. I've used a bunch on
projects for some months, and it does work fairly fast. The other
Permatex version is more of a regular construction adhesive and a
little cheaper. Most of the box stores should have it. HTH

Joe

Oops! Looked at the red tubes of adhesive at the project and they all
are LocTite. My error.
Whatever, pretty good stuff.

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

be wary of the adhesive the big boxes sell for the foambaord... I used
it in an attic, and the foamboard fell off after 6 months.... nail it
up if you have to (furring strips

shelly