Posted to rec.woodworking

Default sharpies and poly and skunk lines on a cribbage board

I have never tested it but just had the thought of using a Shellac
coat first since Shellac is sort of the universial undercoat for
seperation. However, not sure if the alcohol will also act as a
solvent on the sharpie ink and cause the same problem.

Another possibility is to try water based poly.

On Feb 5, 2:41*pm, "Larry C" wrote:
Hello,

I am making a few cribbage boards. *I am drawing the "skunk" lines on the
board *My first try I did it with a fine point sharpie. *I let the sharpie
dry for about an hour. *When I put on the first coat of spray poly (aerosol
can, oil based ) the sharpie bled all over the place. *Which surprised me
because if the kids touch anything with those markers it is there forever..

I sanded it all off and tried to draw the lines after a coat of poly but the
marker didn't work well.

Do I need to go buy a paint marker or use a different method with the poly.
Please don't say paint with a fine brush.

Thanks

Larry C