Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Applying veneer

I have been trying to learn how to apply veneer on a small project. Based on
some early discussions in rec.woodworking I was using the technique of
applying PVA glue to both surfaces, let it dry then place the veneer on the
substrate and use an iron to heat the veneer and activate the glue. When I
did this the veneer started cracking from the heat and also pulled apart at
the butt joints (I needed three panels of veneer to span the small table
top). Any suggestion on how to apply veneer?

Russ

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 20:25:00 -0500, "Russ Stanton"
wrote:

I have been trying to learn how to apply veneer on a small project. Based on
some early discussions in rec.woodworking I was using the technique of
applying PVA glue to both surfaces, let it dry then place the veneer on the
substrate and use an iron to heat the veneer and activate the glue. When I
did this the veneer started cracking from the heat and also pulled apart at
the butt joints (I needed three panels of veneer to span the small table
top). Any suggestion on how to apply veneer?

Russ

Hi Russ,

There are both glue issues, and issues of technique.

This might help:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=3&o q=veneer

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Russ Stanton" wrote in message
I have been trying to learn how to apply veneer on a small project. Based
on some early discussions in rec.woodworking I was using the technique of
applying PVA glue to both surfaces, let it dry then place the veneer on the
substrate and use an iron to heat the veneer and activate the glue. When I
did this the veneer started cracking from the heat and also pulled apart at
the butt joints (I needed three panels of veneer to span the small table
top). Any suggestion on how to apply veneer?

Russ

I just used something called Better bond found at this sight
http://www.veneersupplies.com/ worked great.

I am also new to veneering this sight was wealth of information
http://www.joewoodworker.com/articles.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Russ Stanton" wrote in message
I have been trying to learn how to apply veneer on a small project. Based
on some early discussions in rec.woodworking I was using the technique of
applying PVA glue to both surfaces, let it dry then place the veneer on the
substrate and use an iron to heat the veneer and activate the glue. When I
did this the veneer started cracking from the heat and also pulled apart at
the butt joints (I needed three panels of veneer to span the small table
top). Any suggestion on how to apply veneer?

Russ

You can apply cold press veneer to the substrate surface only. Apply the
wood veneer immediately and clamp.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Russ Stanton wrote:
I have been trying to learn how to apply veneer on a small project.
Based on some early discussions in rec.woodworking I was using the
technique of applying PVA glue to both surfaces, let it dry then
place the veneer on the substrate and use an iron to heat the veneer
and activate the glue. When I did this the veneer started cracking
from the heat and also pulled apart at the butt joints (I needed
three panels of veneer to span the small table top). Any suggestion
on how to apply veneer?

A. Your iron on problem was most likely caused by too hot an iron for too
long and/or trying to apply it too soon after you applied the glue to it.
The glue added a LOT of water to the veneer which means the veneer was much
enlarged...it needs to return to its former size before ironing on; it is
going to take a couple of days at least. I've not done a lot of iron on
veneering but I've had better results with the procedure by applying glue
ONLY to the substrate. That way the veneer doesn't curl up into a tube

B. Cold pressing is better IMO. The biggest problem with that is getting
sufficient pressure in the center. The conventional answer is a veneer
press or shaped cauls but I think this would work well (haven't tried it but
will one day)...

3/4 ply oversized
3"-4" thick foam rubber oversized
cover sheet (brown wrapping paper, etc)
veneer
glue
substrate
3/4 ply oversized

Clamping the plywood to the substrate along the edges compresses the foam,
foam applies a relatively even pressure over all the substrate.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
MB MB is offline

(I needed three panels of veneer to span the small table
top). Any suggestion on how to apply veneer?

What is the overall dimensions?

I assume you are taping these pieces together with veneer tape?

I like to use Unibond 800. It's NOT water based, so the veneer won't
curl when the glue is applied. Unibond also has a long open time, so
you don't have to scramble to get all the clamps tight befor ethe glue
starts to set.

I usually buy it at:

http://www.vacupress.com/veneerglue.htm

I also bought a veneering DVD from this site. He goes over the basics
in great detail and it was really helpful.

Mitch

Using my veneer trim or chamfer bits to make a veneer arris bent Woodworking 0 December 27th 06 04:00 AM
Applying veneer over solid wood pete Woodworking 6 July 16th 06 02:04 PM
Applying wax Barry Lennox Woodworking 22 July 13th 05 12:38 PM
Applying Mini wax over ? Keith Young Woodturning 3 November 6th 04 12:36 PM
Applying a Finish Nick Bratby Woodturning 1 October 16th 03 06:48 PM