Posted to rec.woodworking

Default heavy picture frame

I have been asked to make a frame for a stained glass window. The
intent is that this frame will then be hung inside a window so that
the sun can pass through. Anyway, the glass is maybe 2x3 feet and
pretty heavy; and they have requested a simple miter. My question is:
are biscuits strong enough to hold all this together or do I need
something else?

Thanks
Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 9:05*am, DejaVoodoo wrote:
I have been asked to make a frame for a stained glass window. *The
intent is that this frame will then be hung inside a window so that
the sun can pass through. *Anyway, the glass is maybe 2x3 feet and
pretty heavy; and they have requested a simple miter. *My question is:
are biscuits strong enough to hold all this together or do I need
something else?

Thanks
Mark

I would consider pocket screws in addition to the biscuits. Having a
mechanical means of keeping the joint together would be a good thing,
considering the circumstances.

-Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 8:24*am, N Hurst wrote:
On Jan 30, 9:05*am, DejaVoodoo wrote:

I have been asked to make a frame for a stained glass window. *The
intent is that this frame will then be hung inside a window so that
the sun can pass through. *Anyway, the glass is maybe 2x3 feet and
pretty heavy; and they have requested a simple miter. *My question is:
are biscuits strong enough to hold all this together or do I need
something else?

Thanks
Mark

I would consider pocket screws in addition to the biscuits. Having a
mechanical means of keeping the joint together would be a good thing,
considering the circumstances.

-Nathan

I was thinking the same thing, but the frame will be visible on both
side so screws are not really acceptable. Perhaps a couple dowels
though the joint would look ok.

Thanks
Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

DejaVoodoo wrote:
I have been asked to make a frame for a stained glass window. The
intent is that this frame will then be hung inside a window so that
the sun can pass through. Anyway, the glass is maybe 2x3 feet and
pretty heavy; and they have requested a simple miter. My question is:
are biscuits strong enough to hold all this together or do I need
something else?

Thanks
Mark

I have been making picture frames for my wife's paintings for years.
Some have been bigger than yours, some smaller. She paints on canvas
and uses 1" X 2' pine or fir for the stretchers. I have never made one
for a stained glass of that size.

One factor that will effect the strength is the width of the frame.
Mine are about 2" wide. The wider frames could receive 2 biscuits.

Once assembled, the only stress on the mitered joints will be the
downward pull in the plane of the frame. There will be no twisting, nor
stretching in the plane of the frame that would increase the angle of
the sides. I don't believe you will have a problem.

If on evaluation you are still concerned you could use biscuits for the
miter joints, and add a thin plywood gusset in each of the bottom
corners to increase the joint strength when it is in the hanging position

Do you know who was the first people to use "biscuits"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 7:05*am, DejaVoodoo wrote:
I have been asked to make a frame for a stained glass window. *The
intent is that this frame will then be hung inside a window so that
the sun can pass through. *Anyway, the glass is maybe 2x3 feet and
pretty heavy; and they have requested a simple miter. *My question is:
are biscuits strong enough to hold all this together or do I need
something else?

Thanks
Mark

no. at 6sqft, it will be at least 10 lbs of glass + lead, so say
15lbs.

you can do a spline for a lot more strength.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/ChaniArts

Posted to rec.woodworking

If on evaluation you are still concerned you could use biscuits for the
miter joints, and add a thin plywood gusset in each of the bottom
corners to increase the joint strength when it is in the hanging position

Do you know who was the first people to use "biscuits"

What is a gusset? And I thought Norm invented biscuits as well as
brads...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 9:31*am, DejaVoodoo wrote:
On Jan 30, 8:24*am, N Hurst wrote:

[...]

Depending on the species, you can get or make pocket hole plugs out of
a dowel rod of the same wood, and it should match up close enough that
it should be acceptable. Rockler carries cherry and walnut, and I'm
sure you could find some of the more exotic species... though the $$$
will probably add up pretty quickly.

-Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking

You can cover up pocket holes even more easily with pre-made wood
plugs:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5756

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 8:24*am, N Hurst wrote:

[...]

Do they have to be mitered corners? A rail-and-stile construction
would be stronger, especially if the tenons were deep and an inch up
from the bottom.
Maybe you could pin the tenons with some ebony pins and bevel
(flattened pyramids) the heads, leaving them slightly raised.
That kinda stuff looks very Greene & Greene.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 9:05*am, DejaVoodoo wrote:
I have been asked to make a frame for a stained glass window. *The
intent is that this frame will then be hung inside a window so that
the sun can pass through. *Anyway, the glass is maybe 2x3 feet and
pretty heavy; and they have requested a simple miter. *My question is:
are biscuits strong enough to hold all this together or do I need
something else?

Thanks
Mark

Even without contrasting wood this looks very nice when done.

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip010511sn.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 8:24*am, N Hurst wrote:

[...]

That kinda stuff looks very Greene & Greene.- Hide quoted text -

My preference would be to do a lap joint (that is how I did all my
face frames on my kitchen cabinets - it is a very strong joint), but
they want miters. I'm thinking I can get 2 biscuits in each joint. I
have not actually seen the wood yet - I think it is pine, but I will
not know until I get it tomorrow. They have burned some lettering
into it already, so I kind of have to get it right the first time.

Thanks
Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 8:24*am, N Hurst wrote:

[...]

I agree that 2 biscuits, properly glued and clamped would make a very
tough joint.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 9:05 am, DejaVoodoo wrote:
I have been asked to make a frame for a stained glass window. The
intent is that this frame will then be hung inside a window so that
the sun can pass through. Anyway, the glass is maybe 2x3 feet and
pretty heavy; and they have requested a simple miter. My question is:
are biscuits strong enough to hold all this together or do I need
something else?

Do a spline. Make a jig that is like an upside-down U that rides your
table saw fence. One side has a tall face. This you can use as a
tenoning jig btw. To that face you attach a 45 degree block. This
allows you to first assemble the frame just with glue on the miters.
Then after that has cured you run the corners through on edge. Make
sure you use a blade that makes a square cut at the top like one of
the cutters from your dado set. Then you make a 1/8" spline with the
grain running across the joint. I attach a sacrificial strip of wood
on the edge of the 45 degree block every time I change the cut so
there is no tearout on the back side of the cut. You'll have to
supersize the jig to handle a frame this big but it will work.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

DejaVoodoo wrote:
My preference would be to do a lap joint (that is how I did all my
face frames on my kitchen cabinets - it is a very strong joint), but
they want miters. I'm thinking I can get 2 biscuits in each joint. I
have not actually seen the wood yet - I think it is pine, but I will
not know until I get it tomorrow. They have burned some lettering
into it already, so I kind of have to get it right the first time.

My choice would be a joint whose name I can't conjure up (and I can't
seem to find any pictures of it) but it's a mortise and tenon joint
that's completely hidden and looks like a regular miter on the outside.
A blind mortise and tenon miter? The tenons (on the rails) take the
shape of a 90-degree right triangle and stop 1/4" shy of the end of the
board, and the stiles obviously have a triangular shaped mortise
recessed into a regular miter to receive them. I can find a picture of
it later on (when I get home from work)...

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DejaVoodoo writes:
I have been asked to make a frame for a stained glass window. The
intent is that this frame will then be hung inside a window so that
the sun can pass through. Anyway, the glass is maybe 2x3 feet and
pretty heavy; and they have requested a simple miter. My question is:
are biscuits strong enough to hold all this together or do I need
something else?

Thanks
Mark

Splined miters. Lots of good long-grain to long-grain glue surface.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

DejaVoodoo wrote:
On Jan 30, 8:24 am, N Hurst wrote:
[...]

There are plugs available for pocket screws that can virtually render
the pocket invisible.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

DejaVoodoo wrote in
@v5g2000pre.googlegroups.c
om:

On Jan 30, 9:53*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 30, 9:31*am, DejaVoodoo wrote:

On Jan 30, 8:24*am, N Hurst wrote:

-

My preference would be to do a lap joint (that is how I did all
my face frames on my kitchen cabinets - it is a very strong
joint), but they want miters.

How bout a half-lap miter? I drew one up:

http://www.areddy.net/misc/halflapmiter.gif

Looks like a miter, but extra strength, lots of gluing surface.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DejaVoodoo" wrote in message
I have been asked to make a frame for a stained glass window. The
intent is that this frame will then be hung inside a window so that
the sun can pass through. Anyway, the glass is maybe 2x3 feet and
pretty heavy; and they have requested a simple miter. My question is:
are biscuits strong enough to hold all this together or do I need
something else?

Thanks
Mark

Mark, many years ago I used to do stained glass. A good stained glass
piece will have its own frame to hold every thing together. Your frame
should only be for decoration and should not have to add any support what so
ever. What you will need to do is "securely" attach the top of the frame
you build to the top of the stained glass frame. Technically you should not
need sides or a bottom to your frame.

Having said that if you want the stained glass to float inside your frame I
would biscuit the mitered corners and then drill 2 holes in the top and 2 in
the bottom into the corners. Counter sink and plug the holes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 1:43*pm, "Leon" wrote:
[...]

technically, you don't need the top. the glass and lead panel will sag
due to weight. without a bottom support, the panel will wind up on the
floor and the top of the lead or zinc glass frame will still be
attached to the top piece of the wood frame. the larger the panel, the
sooner this will occur.

Having said that if you want the stained glass to float inside your frame *I
would biscuit the mitered corners and then drill 2 holes in the top and 2 in
the bottom into the corners. *Counter sink and plug the holes.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/ChaniArts
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 06:05:56 -0800 (PST), DejaVoodoo
wrote:

I have been asked to make a frame for a stained glass window. The
intent is that this frame will then be hung inside a window so that
the sun can pass through. Anyway, the glass is maybe 2x3 feet and
pretty heavy; and they have requested a simple miter. My question is:
are biscuits strong enough to hold all this together or do I need
something else?

Thanks
Mark

From an engineering standpoint there is no way to know this. Depends
on the frame, thickness, width, wood, size, weight, glue, biscuit
size, etc. Biscuits are not the strongest joint, but may or may not
be adequate for your application. Get extra strength using metal "L"
braces, which you could mortise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

How bout a half-lap miter? *I drew one up:

http://www.areddy.net/misc/halflapmiter.gif

Looks like a miter, but extra strength, lots of gluing surface.- Hide quoted text -

NICE!!!! I just need to figure out how to cut it!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie" wrote in message
On Jan 30, 1:43 pm, "Leon" wrote:
[...]

Well I wonder how long that takes to happen. I have 2 pieces in my home
that I made in the early 80's that are similar in size and they hang from a
chain on each corner, no sag yet.

That said, on larger panels we soldered a support as inconspicousely as
possable from the top of the frame to the bottom of the frame.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DejaVoodoo wrote in
.
com:

How bout a half-lap miter? *I drew one up:

http://www.areddy.net/misc/halflapmiter.gif

Looks like a miter, but extra strength, lots of gluing
surface.- Hide quo

ted text -

NICE!!!! I just need to figure out how to cut it!

Not difficult. The bottom piece is a simple half lap, then cut the
miter.

The top piece could be cut with a dado and the piece on a 45* miter.
I'd probably cut this piece first, then the other to fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DejaVoodoo" wrote in message
My preference would be to do a lap joint (that is how I did all my
face frames on my kitchen cabinets - it is a very strong joint), but
they want miters. I'm thinking I can get 2 biscuits in each joint. I
have not actually seen the wood yet - I think it is pine, but I will
not know until I get it tomorrow. They have burned some lettering
into it already, so I kind of have to get it right the first time.

What about spline joints? Lots of strength and they wouldn't be visible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
DejaVoodoo wrote:
[...]

Here is the joint I was talking about:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/3239848003/

Much stronger than a biscuit, and from the outside it appears just like
a regular butt miter with no external evidence of what's inside.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 30, 8:24 am, N Hurst wrote:

[...]

You could also use flat metal "L" brackets on the back.

I used to make my own frames (various sizes up to 40"x60"), always glued the
miters with cyanoacrylate glue, no brackets, no nails. Never had one come
apart but they were only holding canvas on stretchers. The joint needs to
be smooth though and if it is a chopped joint it won't be; the trick with
those is to rub over the surfaces with a piece of chalk...the chalk fills in
the low spots, the glue soaks into the chalk and binds it to both the wood
and the mating surface.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mitered half laps,or mitered bridle joints, (sometimes called mitered slip
joints), would work.

If your not sure what I'm talking about, search Google images. I pulled up
a bunch.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Here is the joint I was talking about:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/3239848003/

Much stronger than a biscuit, and from the outside it appears just like
a regular butt miter with no external evidence of what's inside.

I saw a frame made with those joints, with the addition is tapered pegs
through the mortise and tenon.
Cool part, is it had NO glue. You could pop the pegs out and take it
apart.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 23:03:39 -0600, Steve Turner
wrote:

Steve Turner wrote:
DejaVoodoo wrote:
[...]

Steve is right on. I really like this mortised miter idea for the OP.
It is strong, traditional, classic, and low cost. Easy to make a
table saw (or router table) jig using from the wood scrap bins.

Picture Frame Dave Woodworking 3 September 25th 06 08:16 PM
Back for a 5x7 picture frame. Doug Miller Woodworking 0 May 20th 06 03:34 PM
Back for a 5x7 picture frame. Fly-by-Night CC Woodworking 0 May 20th 06 02:08 AM
PICTURE FRAME J T Woodworking 0 January 11th 05 06:52 AM
picture frame gary livingstone Woodworking 7 October 9th 03 12:01 AM