Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tool Handle finish

On 20 Jan 2009 00:39:30 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

We've got a few outdoor/garden tools (like a snow shovel that's older than
I am) that need a new finish on the handles. What would be the best thing
to use for this?

Being outdoor tools, they sometimes get left outside or otherwise abused,
so the finish needs to stand up to this.

Puckdropper

I use whatever is in a used can or finishes nearing disposal. Paint,
BLO, varnish are all good choices. Grease on the iron parts helps
prevent rust. Leaving tools outdoors will certainly shorten their
life.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote in
:

On 20 Jan 2009 00:39:30 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

We've got a few outdoor/garden tools (like a snow shovel that's older
than I am) that need a new finish on the handles. What would be the
best thing to use for this?

Being outdoor tools, they sometimes get left outside or otherwise
abused, so the finish needs to stand up to this.

Puckdropper

I use whatever is in a used can or finishes nearing disposal. Paint,
BLO, varnish are all good choices. Grease on the iron parts helps
prevent rust. Leaving tools outdoors will certainly shorten their
life.

BLO seems to be the most common suggestion, so I'll give that a try. I
think we've got a can somewhere.

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote :

[...]

I also use BLO, but I put it in 2" black ABS (sewer) pipe capped at
one end, held vertically. I put the handles in to soak for a couple of
days, then wipe off & let them dry. don't leave them in too long,
otherwise you will get linseed oil blisters coming out for the next
few years. DAMHIKT

Luigi

Tool Handle finish Peter Huebner Woodworking 1 January 20th 09 01:02 PM
Tool Handle finish DGDevin Woodworking 0 January 20th 09 05:44 AM
Tool Handle finish Ed Pawlowski Woodworking 0 January 20th 09 03:26 AM
FA: Turning tool handle insert Ken G. Woodturning 7 March 19th 06 03:45 AM
wooden tool handle finishing AArDvarK Woodworking 6 August 12th 04 01:15 PM