Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cheaper to ship it from the US?

I have a DeWalt DW3401 bandsaw in need of a new top wheel. In the UK it
is going to cost me £100 or so ($150) for the wheel, not even including
bearings.

Can somebody in the US or Canada look it up for me (at your favourite
spare parts center) so I can see if it actually works out cheaper to buy
it over there and ship it over, or even have a well-travelled friend pick
one up for me next time he's over that way?

Thanks in advance..

Posted to rec.woodworking

PCPaul wrote:
I have a DeWalt DW3401 bandsaw in need of a new top wheel. In the UK it
is going to cost me £100 or so ($150) for the wheel, not even including
bearings.

Can somebody in the US or Canada look it up for me (at your favourite
spare parts center) so I can see if it actually works out cheaper to buy
it over there and ship it over, or even have a well-travelled friend pick
one up for me next time he's over that way?

Thanks in advance..

It appears the DW3401 is only sold in the UK. The model is not listed
on DeWalt's US web site and a Google search turns up UK links only.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 21:14:08 +0000, Nova wrote:

PCPaul wrote:
I have a DeWalt DW3401 bandsaw in need of a new top wheel. In the UK it
is going to cost me £100 or so ($150) for the wheel, not even including
bearings.

Can somebody in the US or Canada look it up for me (at your favourite
spare parts center) so I can see if it actually works out cheaper to
buy it over there and ship it over, or even have a well-travelled
friend pick one up for me next time he's over that way?

Thanks in advance..

It appears the DW3401 is only sold in the UK. The model is not listed
on DeWalt's US web site and a Google search turns up UK links only.

Ah... OK. Thanks for looking. Another dig reveals that it's very closely
related to the DW738/9 or the Elu 3401/3501 - are they any better or are
they UK only too?

I'd JFGI it myself but searches from here seem to be heavily biased to UK
results...
Posted to rec.woodworking

PCPaul wrote:

[...]

It would seem the DW738 and DW739 are also UK only for the same reasons.
The Elu models get the same results as being UK only.

Note: The only DeWalt bandsaw available in the US is a portable hand
held model:

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=8921

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

PCPaul wrote:

[...]

Aha. Thanks for that, I'll shut up now ;-)

I wonder whay they do that.. surely it's only changing the motor for a
240V/50Hz version that differs? Maybe it's just a badge engineering
exercise by DeWalt UK of some Chinese rubbish.

Thanks anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

PCPaul wrote:

It would seem the DW738 and DW739 are also UK only for the same reasons.
The Elu models get the same results as being UK only.

Note: The only DeWalt bandsaw available in the US is a portable hand
held model:

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=8921

Aha. Thanks for that, I'll shut up now ;-)

I wonder whay they do that.. surely it's only changing the motor for a
240V/50Hz version that differs? Maybe it's just a badge engineering
exercise by DeWalt UK of some Chinese rubbish.

Thanks anyway.

My guess is the band saw is made by Elu and sold under the DeWalt brand
as the manual for the parts break down for the DeWalt and the Elu are
identical.

DeWalt does sell some of the Elu tools under the DeWalt labile in the US
but the band saw isn't one of them.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Finishing a toy balsa ship Ignoramus1280 Woodworking 23 March 1st 07 05:02 PM
How to ship an Atlas bed? Rex B Metalworking 16 October 29th 05 12:54 AM
how to ship RB Home Repair 9 March 7th 05 04:20 PM
Can Ship NOW! Bill Warren Electronics 0 September 18th 04 11:57 PM