Rex B

Default How to ship an Atlas bed?

Hey guys
There's a guy in Philly that wants my 42" Atlas bed.
Is UPS the best way to ship it?
Any idea what the bare bed weighs?
--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Jon Elson

Rex B wrote:

Hey guys
There's a guy in Philly that wants my 42" Atlas bed.
Is UPS the best way to ship it?

Try Fed Ex ground. They are really resonable, and a lot more careful
that the gorillas at UPS. Don't think they could break an Atlas bed?
I wouldn't put it past them.

Any idea what the bare bed weighs?

It really couldn't be more than 100 Lbs.

Jon

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:10:09 GMT, Ignoramus3242 wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:44:45 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
There's a guy in Philly that wants my 42" Atlas bed.
Is UPS the best way to ship it?

Try Fed Ex ground. They are really resonable, and a lot more careful
that the gorillas at UPS. Don't think they could break an Atlas bed?
I wouldn't put it past them.

Now if I suddenly end up with an Atlas bed in my driveway, I will know
who it is from... cool...

Heeeeeyyyyy...there's an idea...we all send Iggy random stuff without
return address labels, and see if he can identify what came from whom...

woodworker88

FexEx Ground if it is under their weight and size restrictions, FedEx
Freight if it is not. Even though the weight may not be an issue, size
may be. Many shippers have length+girth restrictions. Have you
thought about how you are going to pack it? I would build a wood
"crate" with 1x2's around it, screwing the wood to other pieces to
secure the bed inside a cushion. This way if it falls, the wood will
crush and not the metal cracking or breaking.

DeepDiver

wrote:

Now if I suddenly end up with an Atlas bed in my driveway, I will know
who it is from... cool...

Heeeeeyyyyy...there's an idea...we all send Iggy random stuff without
return address labels, and see if he can identify what came from whom...

I'll volunteer to be that test subject (or joke victim)! Perhaps Ron Moore
would like to start off with his South Bend 7" shaper...

- Michael

DeepDiver

"Jon Elson" wrote in message

Try Fed Ex ground. They are really resonable, and a lot more careful
that the gorillas at UPS.

UPS might hire gorillas, but FedEx hires monkeys. Very stupid monkeys.

I'm not a high volume shipper, yet of the relatively few packages I've sent
or received through FedEx Ground, I've had a very high percentage of
problems. FedEx has lost packages, billed me for services not used, screwed
up my loss claims, were unable to re-route a package that kept going to the
wrong address (and then kept being kicked back to their depot -- they knew
where it was but couldn't "pull it out" of it's endless cycle of
mis-delivery), and their Web site services suck. Furthermore, the only way
you can have someone ship a package to you on your own FedEx account is if
you let FedEx do a "will call" pick-up (with the exorbitant extra fees for
that service which defeats the whole purpose of the effort).

Yes, I've saved some shipping costs using my FedEx Ground account. But I've
lost those savings many times over due to the numerous problems I've had
with FedEx. My biggest gripe with UPS is that they charge extra service
counter fees for retail customers. And sometimes those counter fees don't
match the prices quoted on their Web site or in software that uses UPS's
shipping rate API (like Ebay's shipping calculator).

As for UPS breakage, in my experience, that can always be traced to poor
packaging by the shipper. Yes, heavy items require extra padding and sturdy
boxes or crates (imagine that!). Of course, that's true with any shipper.

- Michael

Bugs

It weighs more than 100#. I've moved mine several times.
Bugs

Rex B

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:10:09 GMT, Ignoramus3242 wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:44:45 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:

There's a guy in Philly that wants my 42" Atlas bed.
Is UPS the best way to ship it?

Try Fed Ex ground. They are really resonable, and a lot more careful
that the gorillas at UPS. Don't think they could break an Atlas bed?
I wouldn't put it past them.

Now if I suddenly end up with an Atlas bed in my driveway, I will know
who it is from... cool...

Heeeeeyyyyy...there's an idea...we all send Iggy random stuff without
return address labels, and see if he can identify what came from whom...

Sort of a variation on the "What Is It?" threads?

OK Iggy, post your address.
Rex B

Default How to ship an Atlas bed? - more info & questions

OK, I weighed and measured this last night.

it's 5.75" X 5.75" X 36 inches long
It weighs right at 50 pounds.

So even with a lead screw and 6 change gears I should be under the
70-lbs UPS limit.

The length was a bit of a surprise, BTW. This lathe had a model number
ending in -42, so I figured the bed was 42". but it's just 36".
I always thought there were just two lengths, 42, and 54.
Anyone have any knowledge on this?

- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

Rex B wrote:
Hey guys
There's a guy in Philly that wants my 42" Atlas bed.
Is UPS the best way to ship it?
Any idea what the bare bed weighs?

Jon Elson

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:10:09 GMT, Ignoramus3242 wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:44:45 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:

There's a guy in Philly that wants my 42" Atlas bed.
Is UPS the best way to ship it?

Try Fed Ex ground. They are really resonable, and a lot more careful
that the gorillas at UPS. Don't think they could break an Atlas bed?
I wouldn't put it past them.

Now if I suddenly end up with an Atlas bed in my driveway, I will know
who it is from... cool...

Heeeeeyyyyy...there's an idea...we all send Iggy random stuff without
return address labels, and see if he can identify what came from whom...

My wife would sure be happy if I did some of that!

Jon

Jon Elson

DeepDiver wrote:

"Jon Elson" wrote in message

[...]

I have had a rotary table and a logic analyzer smashed by UPS. I have
never had
anything even get the corner of the box mashed a little by Fed Ex.

I have sent a number of packages Fed Ex, billing to the recipient's Fed
Ex number.
I take it to the local Kinko's copy place - they are owned by Fed Ex.
There may not
be one convenient to your location, though.

Yes, I've saved some shipping costs using my FedEx Ground account. But I've
lost those savings many times over due to the numerous problems I've had
with FedEx. My biggest gripe with UPS is that they charge extra service
counter fees for retail customers. And sometimes those counter fees don't
match the prices quoted on their Web site or in software that uses UPS's
shipping rate API (like Ebay's shipping calculator).

The insurance at the old "Mailboxes-R-Us" UPS store is really
exorbitant, like
$1 per $100 declared value. When I ship a $10,000 - $25,000 shipment, this
wipes me out! Fed Ex is less than 1/4 that rate! Why should I have to
pay for
UPS' carelessness?

As for UPS breakage, in my experience, that can always be traced to poor
packaging by the shipper. Yes, heavy items require extra padding and sturdy
boxes or crates (imagine that!). Of course, that's true with any shipper.

Yes, sure, I have to have 4-6" of high-density foam custom molded to the
shape
of the equipment, with extra cardboard corners inside the box, to keep
UPS from
smashing stuff. 2" of bubble wrap seems to be enough to protect a
package with
Fed Ex. Obviously, your experience seems to be the exact opposite.

Jon

Jon Elson

Bugs wrote:

It weighs more than 100#. I've moved mine several times.
Bugs

Just the bed, no headstock, tailstock, carriage, etc. on the 10" lathe
we're talking about here. The late 12" bed with the thicker ways
is going to weigh a little more. I know I've picked up the bed of
my old 10" lathe all by myself, and 100 Lbs to me is a pretty heavy
load.

Jon

Jon Elson

Rex B wrote:

OK, I weighed and measured this last night.

it's 5.75" X 5.75" X 36 inches long
It weighs right at 50 pounds.

So even with a lead screw and 6 change gears I should be under the
70-lbs UPS limit.

The length was a bit of a surprise, BTW. This lathe had a model
number ending in -42, so I figured the bed was 42". but it's just 36".
I always thought there were just two lengths, 42, and 54.
Anyone have any knowledge on this?

Is it for a 10" Atlas lathe? I've never seen beds of other length, but
I have heard
reports of shorter beds made for special purposes. 36" is pretty short,
you'd only
get 18" between centers with that. Couldn't be a bed for a 6" lathe,
could it?

Jon

Martin H. Eastburn

I just sent a $4K through one of the converted stores UPS - paid $46 insurance.
That means (like warranty) they have poor grade of delivery. I suspect it is
partly a payoff of the local office take.

Oh - they took the controller - I didn't pack it - I wanted them to quality (and insure)
the package... Their packing doubled the weight and I paid for shipping 2x weight
and likely 2x insurance.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Jon Elson wrote:

DeepDiver wrote:

[...]

Rex B

Jon Elson wrote:

Bugs wrote:

It weighs more than 100#. I've moved mine several times.
Bugs

Just the bed, no headstock, tailstock, carriage, etc. on the 10" lathe
we're talking about here. The late 12" bed with the thicker ways
is going to weigh a little more. I know I've picked up the bed of
my old 10" lathe all by myself, and 100 Lbs to me is a pretty heavy
load.

Actually, this turned out to be a bit of an oddity.
Model number is H36
Bed length is exactly 36 inches.
Weight without feet is 50 lbs.

I thought all Atlas machines were either 42" bed or 54"

Rex B

Jon Elson wrote:

Rex B wrote:

OK, I weighed and measured this last night.

it's 5.75" X 5.75" X 36 inches long
It weighs right at 50 pounds.

So even with a lead screw and 6 change gears I should be under the
70-lbs UPS limit.

The length was a bit of a surprise, BTW. This lathe had a model
number ending in -42, so I figured the bed was 42". but it's just 36".
I always thought there were just two lengths, 42, and 54.
Anyone have any knowledge on this?

Is it for a 10" Atlas lathe? I've never seen beds of other length, but
I have heard
reports of shorter beds made for special purposes. 36" is pretty short,
you'd only
get 18" between centers with that. Couldn't be a bed for a 6" lathe,
could it?

No, I know the difference. This says Atlas H36, and it's all 10" stuff.
Spindle is 1.4x8 tpi. I've had a 10F TH54. This is the same lathe,
with babbit bearings and a short bed.
Gary Brady

Rex B wrote:

The length was a bit of a surprise, BTW. This lathe had a model number
ending in -42, so I figured the bed was 42". but it's just 36".
I always thought there were just two lengths, 42, and 54.
Anyone have any knowledge on this?

Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

I have a V48. 48" bed with 30" between centers, babbited bearing
headstock, single large pulley on the countershaft,not the curved
spokes, 8 speed instead of 16.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX