cmorettz

Default Logan or Atlas for first lathe purchase?

I have found a couple of lathes for sale locally, and would
like to hear your opinions and/or recomendations.

I am looking for a small lathe to do various things icluding
gunsmithing. I have a very small shop(ok its a storage shed)
so a small footprint is a must. I have 110v power available
and 220v might be possible, Ill have to ask my elect.
I have found so far:

Atlas/Craftsman 6 X 36 in great condition with 3 & 4 jaw chuck
4 hours away $500

Logan 9"? X ? (he thinks it 36-40 inches) 3 & 4 jaw chuck, quick
change
tool holder,owner thinks it has 3/4 horse motor, and was sure it
has V shaped ways. He thinks 3 or 4 guys could load it. 110v $1200
I am hoping it is actually a 10 inch but plan to be disappointed
when I go look at it. Sorry for the lack of info, I will post
more details after I go look at the logan.

I did a google search and found a page about logan lathes that seemed
to know what they were about, but you never know.
on that page the 9" logan is 28 inch max between ctrs. and the
10" model seems to be a much better machine.

I havent seen either machine, but my thinking is going like this so
far.

if the machine is actually a 10" logan lathe, is it worth $1200?
would it be worth twice what an atlas costs?
I have to consider mileage on such a heavy machine (400+ lbs).
the logan is relatively close.
BTW, when I say "worth" I guess I mean is machine "A" $xxx amount
more capable than machine "B"? (worth more)

If it is a 9 inch logan how does it compare to the Atlas
capability wise?

I believe the Atlas units are fairly light and could be shipped
cross country. they are going on ebay for $300 and up depending
on condition, plus shipping.

Sorry for the long post and scattered thoughts, It is past my
bedtime.
Thanks for your time
pc

Rex B

cmorettz wrote:
I have found a couple of lathes for sale locally, and would
like to hear your opinions and/or recomendations.

I am looking for a small lathe to do various things icluding
gunsmithing. I have a very small shop(ok its a storage shed)
so a small footprint is a must. I have 110v power available
and 220v might be possible, Ill have to ask my elect.
I have found so far:

Atlas/Craftsman 6 X 36 in great condition with 3 & 4 jaw chuck
4 hours away $500

The working size of that is 6x18. The overall length is about 36".
Those are nice little lathes, with emphasis on "little".
Threading is by change gears, no QC available.
Note there is a Mk1 and a Mk2 model. The Mk2 has a very square head.
All the gears, pulleys, and small castings on either are Zamac, i.e. pot
metal. This is a lathe sold by Sears.
A good Mk1 will bring ~$450, a Mk2 ~$650 on ebay

Logan 9"? X ? (he thinks it 36-40 inches) 3 & 4 jaw chuck, quick
change
tool holder,owner thinks it has 3/4 horse motor, and was sure it
has V shaped ways. He thinks 3 or 4 guys could load it. 110v $1200
I am hoping it is actually a 10 inch but plan to be disappointed
when I go look at it. Sorry for the lack of info, I will post
more details after I go look at the logan.

I did a google search and found a page about logan lathes that seemed
to know what they were about, but you never know.
on that page the 9" logan is 28 inch max between ctrs. and the
10" model seems to be a much better machine.

I have a 9x17 Logan, with QC box. I used an engine hoist to unload it.
Everything is either cast iron or steel.
A very nice machine, and much more than any Atlas or Craftsman metal lathe.

if the machine is actually a 10" logan lathe, is it worth $1200?

Only if it's pristine and well tooled. At that price it should LOOK like
it's been well-cared for, and I don't mean "nice paint". it should also
come with everything you need, 3-jaw, 4-jaw, faceplate, drive dogs,
centers, steady rest, follow rest.

would it be worth twice what an atlas costs?

If you were comparing 10" to 10", no.
But a 9" Logan is in a different league than a 6" Atlas.
I have seen the 9" lathes go for more money than the 10" on a number of
occasions. I think the smaller lathes are rarely in a production
environment, but rather are cared for by an individual hobbyist who
paid a goodly price for a precision machine. I see nice 10" and
larger Logans go in the $800 range. I would not part with mine for
$1000, but I'd be tempted at $1200.

If it is a 9 inch logan how does it compare to the Atlas
capability wise?

I just sold a 10x36 Atlas, because the Logan was better made by far, and
I have yet to run into anything that required the extra size.

I believe the Atlas units are fairly light and could be shipped
cross country. they are going on ebay for $300 and up depending
on condition, plus shipping.

I shipped a MK2 from TX to CO, in 3 boxes, for $35 via UPS.

The Atlas will get you started and help you learn what you really want,
but you will likely upgrade once you get up to speed. The Logan could
suit your needs indefinitely. Also, Scott Logan maintains parts and
support for the products his Granddad built.
I'd try to negotiate the price on the Logan. But if it's local and
like-new, and you can afford it....
--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Rex B

cmorettz wrote:

Logan 9"? X ? (he thinks it 36-40 inches) 3 & 4 jaw chuck, quick
change
if the machine is actually a 10" logan lathe

If it is a 9 inch logan

9" Logans have the model number on the QC box brass plate.
A 9" w/ QC will be 9B-17-1 or 9B-28-1. The 17 or 28 is the length
between centers.
Other models may not have the model number.
Get the serial number from the Logan, and email Scott Logan

He can tell you the model number, the specifications, when it was first
sold, and who bought it. He can also sell you a manual and parts list
for a fair price.

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer

Jerry Foster

"cmorettz" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Have had an older (built in 1946) 10" Logan for several years and am very
happy with it. I've found parts support to be very good. The machine will
still hold .001. It came with a roll-around full of tooling, some of which
needed some cleaning up and/or missing parts made/bought. I gave $700 for
it, but that was a few years ago.

Jerry

RoyJ

The Atlas is for the mass market, the Logan is a real, abeit junior,
machine. I have the very plain Logan 200 vintage mid '40s. Loose change
gears, 10" x24", 1/2 hp, cast iron legs. I haven't really done the some
tight accuracy testing but I think it will hold .001", faces a 10" steel
disk with ease.

Whole thing weighs about 425 pounds, breaks down so the biggest piece
weighs 210 pounds. A couple of husky guys can crank it out of a basement
via the stairs.

Bought mine through an estate, I have around $500 or so in it. I suspect
that I could get just a bit more out of it if needed. I did need to get
a new chuck and a new headstock bearing to get it working right.

cmorettz wrote:
[...]

DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
cmorettz wrote:
I have found a couple of lathes for sale locally, and would
like to hear your opinions and/or recomendations.

I am looking for a small lathe to do various things icluding
gunsmithing. I have a very small shop(ok its a storage shed)
so a small footprint is a must. I have 110v power available
and 220v might be possible, Ill have to ask my elect.
I have found so far:

Atlas/Craftsman 6 X 36 in great condition with 3 & 4 jaw chuck
4 hours away $500

Which version? There was one with bronze bearings (I have one
of these) and one with Timken roller bearings. Mine was rather old and
worn, and it also proved to be rather weak, when a parting tool got
caught and broke off part of the T-slot on the compound.

I currently have a 12x24" Clausing -- made by the company which
merged with Atlas, but made for industrial use, not for hobbyists.

Logan 9"? X ? (he thinks it 36-40 inches) 3 & 4 jaw chuck, quick
change
tool holder,owner thinks it has 3/4 horse motor, and was sure it
has V shaped ways. He thinks 3 or 4 guys could load it. 110v $1200
I am hoping it is actually a 10 inch but plan to be disappointed
when I go look at it. Sorry for the lack of info, I will post
more details after I go look at the logan.

I'm helping a friend with a 10 Logan "PowerMatic" -- made (not
very long) after the line was bought from Logan. It turns to to be
*much* closer to the original Logans than the later ones with the
"PowerMatic" name.

It is a *lot* more machine than either version of the 6x18
Atlas, and I would choose it over the Atlas in a heartbeat.

That quick-change toolpost is a very good thing, and I wonder
whether it also happens to have a quick-change gearbox? The one which
I am helping with does, along with both cross and longitudinal power
feed separate from the threading feed (good for preserving the accuracy
of the leadscrew for threading.)

I did a google search and found a page about logan lathes that seemed
to know what they were about, but you never know.

If you found Scott Logan's site, that is the mother lode of
information. He also sells parts for the old machines, as well as
manuals and parts lists.

on that page the 9" logan is 28 inch max between ctrs. and the
10" model seems to be a much better machine.

The main question is whether you know how to test for bed wear,
as this could be a problem in either machine.

I havent seen either machine, but my thinking is going like this so
far.

if the machine is actually a 10" logan lathe, is it worth $1200?
would it be worth twice what an atlas costs?

I'm not sure about that price. I paid not much more than that
for my 12x24 Clausing, with a 3-Jaw chuck, and a bed turret (really nice
for production runs.) And there have been a lot of shops closing
recently, which should being the prices down. (But then again, a 9" or
10" machine is better suited if you need to get it down into a cellar.)

I have to consider mileage on such a heavy machine (400+ lbs).
the logan is relatively close.

And my Clausing was closer to 900 pounds, IIRC. I had to pay to
get it shipped from New York, after winning it on eBay (from a vendor
who I trusted.)

BTW, when I say "worth" I guess I mean is machine "A" $xxx amount
more capable than machine "B"? (worth more)

I would spend the extra for the 9" or 10" over the 6" -- but I
would personally prefer the 12" which I got.

If it is a 9 inch logan how does it compare to the Atlas
capability wise?

*Much* better than a 6" Atlas. My 6" Atlas is pretty much in
retirement.

I believe the Atlas units are fairly light and could be shipped
cross country. they are going on ebay for $300 and up depending
on condition, plus shipping.

Yes -- and they could be used for you to make your learning
mistakes on, before you get a really *nice* machine.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Scott S. Logan

On 13 Apr 2005 14:49:15 -0700, "cmorettz" wrote:

Logan 9"? X ? (he thinks it 36-40 inches) 3 & 4 jaw chuck, quick
change
tool holder,owner thinks it has 3/4 horse motor, and was sure it
has V shaped ways. He thinks 3 or 4 guys could load it. 110v $1200
I am hoping it is actually a 10 inch but plan to be disappointed
when I go look at it. Sorry for the lack of info, I will post
more details after I go look at the logan.

In particular, get the Model Number and Serial Number. The Model
Number should be on a nameplate either on the front of the headstock,
or on the Quick Change Gearbox, if so equipped. The Serial Number is
a 5 digit number, stamped on top of the bed, right hand end, between
the front V and flat ways.

I did a google search and found a page about logan lathes that seemed
to know what they were about, but you never know.
on that page the 9" logan is 28 inch max between ctrs. and the
10" model seems to be a much better machine.

Well, if the page you found is at http://lathe.com, yes, we probably
know what it is about. My Grandfather founded the company.

The seller may have been referring to the overall length of the Lathe,
or may have the wrong swing size. Capacities of Logan Lathes are
listed at http://lathe.com/models.htm.

I havent seen either machine, but my thinking is going like this so
far.

if the machine is actually a 10" logan lathe, is it worth $1200?
would it be worth twice what an atlas costs?
I have to consider mileage on such a heavy machine (400+ lbs).
the logan is relatively close.
BTW, when I say "worth" I guess I mean is machine "A" $xxx amount
more capable than machine "B"? (worth more)

I'm a bit biased, but I would say that a comparable Logan is more
rugged and capable than the same sized Atlas.

If it is a 9 inch logan how does it compare to the Atlas
capability wise?

Well, if nothing else, according to your numbers, the Logan has 50%
more swing capacity.

Sorry for the long post and scattered thoughts, It is past my
bedtime.

Youi're forgiven. Good night.

| Scott Logan - ssl "at" lathe.com |
| Logan Actuator Co. http://www.lathe.com |
| Harvard, IL |
|++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++|
| Parts and Accessories for Logan Lathes and |
| Montgomery Wards Lathes |
| Logan-Lilly Mine Hoist Safety Controllers |
"Measure Twice, Cut Once"

RCM FAQ - http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal
Metal Web News - http://www.metalwebnews.com/
Help squash SPAM: http://www.cauce.org/

cmorettz

Hi all.... I really want to thank you for the well thought out

The owner told me twice that it was a logan.
I went to see it today , it is a South Bend...go figure.
Model B5 , Cat # 677R bed length 4.5
s/n 178456 B101 mark on bed . $1200
It does have a 3 and 4 jaw chuck, some dogs, all the gears, and new
paint,
but I think for that money I can do a lot better.
for instance there is a 13" X 30 Southbend on ebay now for $750
currently,
only problem its in Nashville.

Another is close in KC area is an elgin collet lathe with about 30
collets
the owner knows almost nothing about it . He thinks there is no power
feed
and I cant see from the pictures. auction # 7508201038. no bids at $50
with $400 BIN. cheap, close, but useful?

I forgot to state in my original post that Im in the Wichita, Ks area.
If any one knows of a good machine in the $1000 range , 220v max,
within say 500 miles of wichita please let me know.

thanks for your time
pc

Rex B

I forgot to state in my original post that Im in the Wichita, Ks area.
If any one knows of a good machine in the $1000 range , 220v max,
within say 500 miles of wichita please let me know.

There was an Atlas 12x36, QC box, auto apron for $700
Wichita Falls TX, which I believe is in your range.
http://www.thriftynickelads.com

Check the national listings.
Also, check the online classified for the OKC newspaper, and maybe Tulsa
--
- -
Rex Burkheimer

DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
cmorettz wrote:
Hi all.... I really want to thank you for the well thought out

The owner told me twice that it was a logan.
I went to see it today , it is a South Bend...go figure.
Model B5 , Cat # 677R bed length 4.5
s/n 178456 B101 mark on bed . $1200

That could explain the price. South Bend is better known as a
desirable hobbist lathe (in the US), so the prices on those tend to be
high.

It does have a 3 and 4 jaw chuck, some dogs, all the gears, and new
paint,
but I think for that money I can do a lot better.
for instance there is a 13" X 30 Southbend on ebay now for $750
currently,
only problem its in Nashville.

Of course, you don't know what it will be when it closes -- and
SouthBend machines tend tos start a "feeding frenzy" more than other
(and often better) machines.

Another is close in KC area is an elgin collet lathe with about 30
collets
the owner knows almost nothing about it . He thinks there is no power
feed
and I cant see from the pictures. auction # 7508201038. no bids at $50
with $400 BIN. cheap, close, but useful?

It depends. I would not consider it a good choice for a *first*
lathe, as it has *no* longitudinal feed -- other than a second hand
crank on the cross feed. The whole assembly is held by a hand nut run
up from below the bed, and you lose any settings when you shift it. It
is a "second-op" lathe, I think (that is -- it is used to perform second
operations on a part which was started in another machine) -- and is
sort of like an oversized jeweler's lathe. You can't single-point cut
threads with it. If you could get a bed turret for it, you could use a
Geometric die head (or something similar) for cutting common threads,
but not for unusual ones.

I forgot to state in my original post that Im in the Wichita, Ks area.
If any one knows of a good machine in the $1000 range , 220v max,
within say 500 miles of wichita please let me know.

A bit out of my reach (Northern VA -- too close to Washington
DC), so I'll just wish you luck.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564