Posted to rec.woodworking

Default GLOAT New Makita compound slider saw

No bargains here, but what a bargain! After 20+ years of dicking around with
substandard chop saws, bought willynilly with least price being the primary
consideration, I have to say that I am pleased. It is smooth, quiet, and the
cuts with the included blade are Seelky Smoooth(tm). Far exceeds my
expectations. This was in the aftermath of a hurried browse through
craigslist this weekend for RAS bargains, brought on by... hmmm... usenet
shopping fever. I looked at a few, but really, what I wanted was
troublefree, clean crosscuts up to 12" wide through 8/4. For me, the Makita
LS1013FL is the right choice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

MikeWhy wrote:
No bargains here, but what a bargain! After 20+ years of dicking around
with substandard chop saws, bought willynilly with least price being the
primary consideration, I have to say that I am pleased. It is smooth,
quiet, and the cuts with the included blade are Seelky Smoooth(tm). Far
exceeds my expectations. This was in the aftermath of a hurried browse
through craigslist this weekend for RAS bargains, brought on by...
hmmm... usenet shopping fever. I looked at a few, but really, what I
wanted was troublefree, clean crosscuts up to 12" wide through 8/4. For
me, the Makita LS1013FL is the right choice.

Nice. My buddy has a 12" Makita (non-slider), and it's an excellent
machine. A Makita would probably have been my choice as well if -MIKE-
hadn't suckered me into going the Craftsman RAS route. Incidentally, he
still hasn't emailed me his phone number so my wife could cuss him out. :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
MikeWhy wrote:
[...]

:-)

I had it reasoned out that, if it didn't work out to my liking, I could just
turn around and sell it for double what I paid. After a good cleanup and
with the recall parts, it would still be a bargain for the next guy. In the
end, the ones I looked at were sad and sorry looking. I came home dejected
and ordered the CS that evening to feel whole again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

MikeWhy wrote:
No bargains here, but what a bargain! After 20+ years of dicking around
with substandard chop saws, bought willynilly with least price being the
primary consideration, I have to say that I am pleased. It is smooth,
quiet, and the cuts with the included blade are Seelky Smoooth(tm). Far
exceeds my expectations. This was in the aftermath of a hurried browse
through craigslist this weekend for RAS bargains, brought on by...
hmmm... usenet shopping fever. I looked at a few, but really, what I
wanted was troublefree, clean crosscuts up to 12" wide through 8/4. For
me, the Makita LS1013FL is the right choice.

NICE!
I like the light.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
Nice. My buddy has a 12" Makita (non-slider), and it's an excellent
machine. A Makita would probably have been my choice as well if -MIKE-
hadn't suckered me into going the Craftsman RAS route. Incidentally, he
still hasn't emailed me his phone number so my wife could cuss him out.
:-)

LOL.
Hey man, I'm in the book. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
MikeWhy wrote:
No bargains here, but what a bargain! After 20+ years of dicking around
with substandard chop saws, bought willynilly with least price being the
primary consideration, I have to say that I am pleased. It is smooth,
quiet, and the cuts with the included blade are Seelky Smoooth(tm). Far
exceeds my expectations. This was in the aftermath of a hurried browse
through craigslist this weekend for RAS bargains, brought on by...
hmmm... usenet shopping fever. I looked at a few, but really, what I
wanted was troublefree, clean crosscuts up to 12" wide through 8/4. For
me, the Makita LS1013FL is the right choice.

NICE!
I like the light.

It has a built-in, retractable zero clearance insert. That works better
since I work as much by feel these days... The electronic soft start and
quiet motor are absolute killer.

Now to build a proper home for it. Any thoughts on how to make a
micro-adjustable height inset for the bench? Maybe micro adjustable wedges
under the mount points oughta be good enough.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
No bargains here, but what a bargain! After 20+ years of dicking around
with substandard chop saws, bought willynilly with least price being the
primary consideration, I have to say that I am pleased. It is smooth,
quiet, and the cuts with the included blade are Seelky Smoooth(tm). Far
exceeds my expectations. This was in the aftermath of a hurried browse
through craigslist this weekend for RAS bargains, brought on by... hmmm...
usenet shopping fever. I looked at a few, but really, what I wanted was
troublefree, clean crosscuts up to 12" wide through 8/4. For me, the
Makita LS1013FL is the right choice.

What, no Kapax??? Enjoy your new saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 15:37:31 -0600, "MikeWhy"
wrote:

No bargains here, but what a bargain! After 20+ years of dicking around with
substandard chop saws, bought willynilly with least price being the primary
consideration, I have to say that I am pleased. It is smooth, quiet, and the
cuts with the included blade are Seelky Smoooth(tm). Far exceeds my
expectations. This was in the aftermath of a hurried browse through
craigslist this weekend for RAS bargains, brought on by... hmmm... usenet
shopping fever. I looked at a few, but really, what I wanted was
troublefree, clean crosscuts up to 12" wide through 8/4. For me, the Makita
LS1013FL is the right choice.

I've had some experience with the Makita at work and they are a very
nice, smooth cutting saw. On two of the models we had pass through
(they ended up going out in the field to the trim crew) they developed
a tendency to not positively lock into position (there was still play
back and forth after turning the knob to lock the angle). Never really
got to check it out but I suspect it might have been just a sawdust
build up on the "thingy" not allowing it to fully engage into the
detent. Just something to maybe watch out for down the road and if so
make a part of your regular maintenance.

Lenny
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

You bet. It'll take a few years to give it the same use that a production
crew dishes out, but I'll watch out for that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
No bargains here, but what a bargain! After 20+ years of dicking around
with substandard chop saws, bought willynilly with least price being the
primary consideration, I have to say that I am pleased. It is smooth,
quiet, and the cuts with the included blade are Seelky Smoooth(tm). Far
exceeds my expectations. This was in the aftermath of a hurried browse
through craigslist this weekend for RAS bargains, brought on by...
hmmm... usenet shopping fever. I looked at a few, but really, what I
wanted was troublefree, clean crosscuts up to 12" wide through 8/4. For
me, the Makita LS1013FL is the right choice.

What, no Kapax??? Enjoy your new saw.

No, no Kapax. But I'll spend the difference on a new filter for the air
cleaner and 150 bft of walnut. (I have to be hallucinating, but the dust
collection seems to work better with the dust bag attached than with the
shop vac. )