Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bamboo wood

I am looking for a source for bamboo wood. I see it being used for flooring and
even shelving. Have any of you guys used it for some of your projects? TIA Chuck
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chuck wrote:
I am looking for a source for bamboo wood. I see it being used for
flooring and even shelving. Have any of you guys used it for some of
your projects? TIA Chuck

Technically, it's grass, but we know what you meant.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 5, 7:28*pm, Chuck wrote:
I am looking for a source for bamboo wood. I see it being used for flooring and
even shelving. Have any of you guys used it for some of your projects? TIA Chuck

I have a stand of it in the back corner of the property. You are
welcome to come and take as much of it as you'd like...PLEASE!

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a stand of it in the back corner of the property. You are
welcome to come and take as much of it as you'd like...PLEASE!

If you live anywhere near a zoo, call them and they'll come get it for
feed.
Elephants love the stuff.

Sorry to the OP for not giving answers.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 5, 7:51*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
I have a stand of it in the back corner of the property. *You are
welcome to come and take as much of it as you'd like...PLEASE!

If you live anywhere near a zoo, call them and they'll come get it for
feed.
Elephants love the stuff.

Sorry to the OP for not giving answers.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

I just love this kinda banter... It's funny, you know.... it really
is....
..
..
..
Now... having had this chuckle.. I am a firm believer and proponent of
hemp and bamboo.
You see, in my little world, God had a sense of humour. Weed and
grass... yup.. there's all the answers.
But guess what? All the DuPont/DOW/Unilever *******s would MUCH rather
sell us that nylon-kinda ****. THEY pay for the politicians, so we're
screwed.
If you find a way to go 500 miles for 24 cents???? You're dead.
..
..
..
Dead.

Posted to rec.woodworking
MB MB is offline

Bamboo plywood was recently discussed

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...39058d6d70f603

Try searching google for "bamboo building material". You might find a
info for getting sticks. logs or whatever they are called

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chuck wrote:
I am looking for a source for bamboo wood. I see it being used for
flooring and even shelving. Have any of you guys used it for some of
your projects? TIA Chuck

I found a couple:

http://calibamboo.com/index.html

http://www.bamboohardwoods.com/items.asp?Cc=PLY/VENEER

I am trying to find a local source rather than pay all the freight.
This might be something I would use once I have a few projects under my
belt.

--
Just James

"Never utter these words: ‘I do not know this, therefore it is false.’
One must study to know; know to understand; understand to judge." ~
Apothegm of Narda
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
.
Now... having had this chuckle.. I am a firm believer and proponent of
hemp and bamboo.
You see, in my little world, God had a sense of humour. Weed and
grass... yup.. there's all the answers.
But guess what? All the DuPont/DOW/Unilever *******s would MUCH rather
sell us that nylon-kinda ****. THEY pay for the politicians, so we're
screwed.
If you find a way to go 500 miles for 24 cents???? You're dead.

I'm in the planning stages of building a small trailer for behind
my motorcycle. Talking to a friend yesterday, he suggested bamboo.
I thought about it for a minute because the strength to weight
factors are really good, but then I realized I'd have to convince
some VDOT inspector to give it a license plate . . . :-(

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In the state of Ohio you get a trailer weighed and they list it as 'Home
built ' .
I have a trike titled 'Home made with motor cycle tags.

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jerry - OHIO wrote:
In the state of Ohio you get a trailer weighed and they list it as 'Home
built ' .
I have a trike titled 'Home made with motor cycle tags.

Oh, I know the process for Virginia. It's pretty similar, but I just
can not imagine a VDOT inspector seeing a bamboo frame and letting
it go . . . even if it was strong enough for the purpose.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Oh, I know the process for Virginia. It's pretty similar, but I just
can not imagine a VDOT inspector seeing a bamboo frame and letting
it go . . . even if it was strong enough for the purpose.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Why is that? The bamboo lumber I've encountered is a laminate and VERY
strong. Bamboo is some tough material.

Some guys are so old school, they just can't approve anything too
new-fangled.

I was helping a friend build an addition on his house-- just a 40 x 20
rectangle with only one perpendicular interior wall. We used trusses for
the roof. The inspector said I needed to tie the perpendicular interior
wall into the exterior walls better, or the top of the exterior wall
would push out, which we all know can happen with traditional roof rafters.

I showed him how the 21 roof trusses were doing this... and much better
than "one" cap plate of "one" wall. He didn't buy it. He still had old
school rafters on the brain.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 13:11:18 -0600, "MikeWhy"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:51:24 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Jerry - OHIO wrote:
In the state of Ohio you get a trailer weighed and they list it as
built ' .
I have a trike titled 'Home made with motor cycle tags.

Oh, I know the process for Virginia. It's pretty similar, but I just
can not imagine a VDOT inspector seeing a bamboo frame and letting
it go . . . even if it was strong enough for the purpose.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Why is that? The bamboo lumber I've encountered is a laminate and VERY
strong. Bamboo is some tough material.

Likely a bit of stigma involved. Bamboo poles just shout "Rickshaw!" Me
personally, I would just as soon not have to worry about the vehicle in
front of me disintegrating.

Bamboo is probably quite a bit stronger than many of the materials
used by car companies. Certainly stronger than any more common type of
dimensional lumber sold at Home Depot or the typical lumvber yard.
With a homemade trailer in front of me, I'd be far more worried about
the wheels falling off.

I just can't shake the mental image of hemp rope lashing the sticks
together, or runaways from Deliverance moving a load of 'shine on rough
nailed, rotted through timbers and carriage bolted moldy old front tractor
tires salvaged from the side yard "compost" heap. I'm not the vehicle
inspector, and you don't have to convince me of anything. Ounce for ounce,
I'd be happiest with a TIG welded tubular steel chassis and a proper set of
disc brakes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 13:50:52 -0600, "MikeWhy"
wrote:
I just can't shake the mental image of hemp rope lashing the sticks
together, or runaways from Deliverance moving a load of 'shine on rough
nailed, rotted through timbers and carriage bolted moldy old front tractor
tires salvaged from the side yard "compost" heap. I'm not the vehicle
inspector, and you don't have to convince me of anything. Ounce for ounce,
I'd be happiest with a TIG welded tubular steel chassis and a proper set
of
disc brakes.

The strength and merits of Bamboo vs Steel is a very popular
"discussion" on the internet. You would think they were religions or
political affiliations.

Interesting... Not hemp lashings, but hemp "composite" lugs.
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...ng-bamboo.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 14:37:08 -0600, "MikeWhy"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:
I just can't shake the mental image of hemp rope lashing the sticks
together, or runaways from Deliverance moving a load of 'shine on rough
nailed, rotted through timbers and carriage bolted moldy old front tractor
tires salvaged from the side yard "compost" heap. I'm not the vehicle
inspector, and you don't have to convince me of anything. Ounce for ounce,
I'd be happiest with a TIG welded tubular steel chassis and a proper set
of
disc brakes.

The strength and merits of Bamboo vs Steel is a very popular
"discussion" on the internet. You would think they were religions or
political affiliations.

Interesting... Not hemp lashings, but hemp "composite" lugs.
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/0...ng-bamboo.html

That IS interesting!

Posted to rec.woodworking

MikeWhy wrote:

I just can't shake the mental image of hemp rope lashing the sticks
together, or runaways from Deliverance moving a load of 'shine on rough
nailed, rotted through timbers and carriage bolted moldy old front tractor
tires salvaged from the side yard "compost" heap. I'm not the vehicle
inspector, and you don't have to convince me of anything. Ounce for ounce,
I'd be happiest with a TIG welded tubular steel chassis and a proper set of
disc brakes.

I'm talking about a small trailer pulled by a *motorcycle* so weight
is a major concern. I'm probably going to use aluminum. For a
bigger trailer pulled by my truck or van I'd use steel also.
Real bamboo is tubular, not the stuff that's been converted into
dimensional lumber, and has some nice strength to weight characteristics.
Finding the right kind might be difficult.

Anyway, I never really thought about it seriously, just a 2 minute
I-wonder-if-I-could thought, terminated by the realization that
somebody at VDOT would be looking at it eventually. It would be
light, though.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...
MikeWhy wrote:

[...]

I ride also. Vehicle inspection as a last chance sanity check is a good
thing from that perspective. I wouldn't want a rickshaw dumping its load on
the road in front of me. All the same, it doesn't have to look like the
bamboo stick bicycle trailers I saw in a web search. Google them, and then
tell me if those pictures don't give you the heebeejeebies. My concerns were
with the flimsy connections, which are completely addressed at the bamboo
bicycle link I subsequently posted. A lug made from pre-preg composites
would solve the problem. That, and firing the stalks to prevent splintering
and sudden deconstruction while in use. I think that kind of construction is
rather pretty cool. I might give it a try at some point (but maybe not in a
trailer, at least at first).

Posted to rec.woodworking

hello,

I am looking for a source for bamboo wood. I see it being used for flooring
and even shelving. Have any of you guys used it for some of your projects?
TIA Chuck

Shop Co has bamboo flooring at $2.1 a ft²! I just bought 300ft² for
flooring... in addition, it's a fairly light bamboo, which is good (to
darken bamboo, it is boiled and this makes it softer, so as a rule of thumb,
with bamboo, the lighter the harder)...
it is sold by boxes of roughtly 25ft² for 49$ or so.

But I also used that same flooring to make bamboo sushi sets... pass the
slats in the planer to get 1/2 finished boards. since you still have the
tongues and groves, it is easy to glue them together to make large boards.
bamboo seems to glue well...

regards, cyrille

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 5, 8:13 pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 5, 7:51 pm, -MIKE- wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, hemp is wind pollinated, which means anyone
growing a stand of potent females for use for anything *beside*
cordage is going to have a disappointing crop, and the seeds
will likewise be useless. One could argue convincingly that
prohibition has done more for the quality of present day
cannabis than generations of the most knowledgeable
Dutch horiticulturists.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Cyrille de Brebisson wrote:
hello,

I am looking for a source for bamboo wood. I see it being used for
flooring and even shelving. Have any of you guys used it for some of
your projects? TIA Chuck

Shop Co has bamboo flooring at $2.1 a ft²! I just bought 300ft² for
flooring... in addition, it's a fairly light bamboo, which is good (to
darken bamboo, it is boiled and this makes it softer, so as a rule of
thumb, with bamboo, the lighter the harder)...
it is sold by boxes of roughtly 25ft² for 49$ or so.

But I also used that same flooring to make bamboo sushi sets... pass the
slats in the planer to get 1/2 finished boards. since you still have the
tongues and groves, it is easy to glue them together to make large boards.
bamboo seems to glue well...

regards, cyrille

Thanks for the info. Chuck B.

Bamboo trvlnmny Woodworking 4 April 11th 08 06:28 PM
bamboo wood wineguy Woodworking 2 July 21st 07 12:30 AM
looking for 3/4" bamboo wineguy Woodworking 4 July 19th 07 06:02 PM
crafts made in green, natural material, such as wood, bamboo, bines, conch, etc. Most is handcrafted. [email protected] Woodturning 0 May 19th 07 08:16 AM
bug infested bamboo [email protected] Woodworking 1 June 23rd 06 07:44 PM