Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

Default additional thoughts on jointer

Ok, so I buy the cheaper Craftsman jointer
I will be buying rough cut lumber and will
want to face joint one side of it before planning Will there
be much difference between the Craftsman
and the Jet for doing this, Not counting the longer
base of the Jet. I want what ever I buy to be able to
do the job I want. I know you get what you pay for,
but sometimes we buy more than we need too.
At my age, 62, I am not going to be doing this as
production, but something I want to enjoy and not get
frustrated with either. That's happened with some
more economic tools I've used.
cc
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 15:09:43 GMT, "CC"
wrote:

Ok, so I buy the cheaper Craftsman jointer
I will be buying rough cut lumber and will
want to face joint one side of it before planning Will there
be much difference between the Craftsman
and the Jet for doing this, Not counting the longer
base of the Jet. I want what ever I buy to be able to
do the job I want. I know you get what you pay for,
but sometimes we buy more than we need too.
At my age, 62, I am not going to be doing this as
production, but something I want to enjoy and not get
frustrated with either. That's happened with some
more economic tools I've used.
cc

I would prefer to buy a quality used jointer than a new cheap one for
the same price. Long heavy iron in/out tables and solid fence are
features to look for. Dust collection not so important for jointers.
Check local newspapers and Craigslist.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"CC" wrote in message
Ok, so I buy the cheaper Craftsman jointer
I will be buying rough cut lumber and will want to face joint one side of
it before planning Will there
be much difference between the Craftsman
and the Jet for doing this, Not counting the longer
base of the Jet. I want what ever I buy to be able to
do the job I want. I know you get what you pay for,
but sometimes we buy more than we need too.
At my age, 62, I am not going to be doing this as
production, but something I want to enjoy and not get
frustrated with either. That's happened with some
more economic tools I've used.
cc

Simply put the longer the beds are on a jointer, the longer the board you
can straighten or flatten. Typically you can pretty and successfully mill a
board in the 4'-5' length range with a 6"-8" jointer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
news

Simply put the longer the beds are on a jointer, the longer the board you
can straighten or flatten. Typically you can pretty and successfully mill
a board in the 4'-5' length range with a 6"-8" jointer.

One more thought on this subject. IMHO standard length stock, 8' and longer
is too long to easily successfully mill on a 6"-8" jointer. IMHO these
sized jointers work better on "scrap" sized pieces of stock or stock that is
cut to approximate shorter finish length prior to jointing. Personally I
don't like to use the jointer in the middle of a project or after cutting
stock to approximate required length. I want to prep all of my stock prior
to cutting the wood to length.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 10:46:22 -0600, Leon wrote:

One more thought on this subject. IMHO standard length stock, 8' and
longer is too long to easily successfully mill on a 6"-8" jointer. IMHO
these sized jointers work better on "scrap" sized pieces of stock or
stock that is cut to approximate shorter finish length prior to
jointing. Personally I don't like to use the jointer in the middle of a
project or after cutting stock to approximate required length. I want
to prep all of my stock prior to cutting the wood to length.

OTOH, if an otherwise nice board is bowed, cutting it into 2 or 3 parts
before face jointing it saves a lot of wood :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

In issue 168 (Feb/Mar 2006) of WOOD there is a comparison of various 8" jointers.

Why buy:
1. Face joint rough cut lumber in common widths for furniture or cabinets.
2. Longer stock. Roughly 1.5 times length of bed about 9 ' compared to 6'
3. Less motor strain.
It may be too much if
1. You have a small shop. Usually about 6' long and up to 2' deep plus another 6 to 7 feet of infeed and outfeed room. Makes for a wall about 20 feet long.
2. Cost.

The upshot of all this is:
1. Wood Mag Best Buy is Powermatic 60B at $1,200.
2. Best cost effective buy is Grizzly G0586 at $655.

What I come out of this with is:
1. If you have the room and can afford it, buy the 8".
2. If cost is a factor, buy a used 8".
3. If you do not have the room, buy a 6"

P D Q

"CC" wrote in message ...
Ok, so I buy the cheaper Craftsman jointer
I will be buying rough cut lumber and will
want to face joint one side of it before planning Will there
be much difference between the Craftsman
and the Jet for doing this, Not counting the longer
base of the Jet. I want what ever I buy to be able to
do the job I want. I know you get what you pay for,
but sometimes we buy more than we need too.
At my age, 62, I am not going to be doing this as
production, but something I want to enjoy and not get
frustrated with either. That's happened with some
more economic tools I've used.
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CC" wrote in message
Ok, so I buy the cheaper Craftsman jointer
I will be buying rough cut lumber and will want to face joint one side of
it before planning Will there
be much difference between the Craftsman
and the Jet for doing this, Not counting the longer
base of the Jet. I want what ever I buy to be able to
do the job I want. I know you get what you pay for,
but sometimes we buy more than we need too.
At my age, 62, I am not going to be doing this as
production, but something I want to enjoy and not get
frustrated with either. That's happened with some
more economic tools I've used.
cc

After reading some of the advice so far, think through what you are going to
build and what the longest piece you will *normally* need to handle will be.
For me, anything I'm going to *usually* make which will require jointing is
going to be no more than about 6' long. My 6" jointer is all I've needed
for a bunch of years. And, it's all I can see needing for a lot more.
Don't gauge what you need on someone else's requirements. As someone else
alluded to, sometimes we buy a lot more than what we need.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks again everyone,
I don't anticipate doing anything longer than 6' and
don't have the room for an 8" jointer. Most of what I
do will probably be in the shorter sizes, maybe once in a
while something longer, but it may work out for that
using roller stands. I think the smaller jointer will work
for what I mostly will be doing. I have a new Craftsman
hybrid saw with a 50" table that takes up a lot of room on a mobile
base and this will have to have one too. I have a 1 1/2 car garage
as my shop area so everything needs to be able to move around.
CC

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
news

"Leon" wrote in message
news

Simply put the longer the beds are on a jointer, the longer the board you
can straighten or flatten. Typically you can pretty and successfully
mill a board in the 4'-5' length range with a 6"-8" jointer.

One more thought on this subject. IMHO standard length stock, 8' and
longer is too long to easily successfully mill on a 6"-8" jointer. IMHO
these sized jointers work better on "scrap" sized pieces of stock or stock
that is cut to approximate shorter finish length prior to jointing.
Personally I don't like to use the jointer in the middle of a project or
after cutting stock to approximate required length. I want to prep all of
my stock prior to cutting the wood to length.

I don't know Leon... I've got a Delta DJ-20 8" jointer and I've run 12'
stock over it successfully... did a couple dozen pieces that long one day.
Granted it takes muscle to keep proper pressure exerted on the stock as it
passes over the knives, but it comes out straight if I do my part. Roller
stands would probably help... and a stock feeder would be wonderful.

I should probably note that most of the time I'm working with stock 8' or
less in length, particularly after bands awing pieces from rough cut stock.
I frequently forgo the jointer and thickness planner and use hand planes on
stock 2' and under.

I think there is some "rule" floating around out there about being able to
joint boards twice the length of your tables or some such thing...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Edelenbos" wrote in message

"CC" wrote in message
[...]

The only thing I'd add to that is how wide is the stock you usually use?
I've used a bunch of 8" wide white oak lately... it "just" fit on my 8"
jointer for face jointing as the rough cut edges wandered a bit. I'd really
like to have a 12" jointer. ;~)

John

....ever notice how from the side jointers resemble boats (sail boat hull, or
perhaps a ship such as an aircraft carrier)? There is that unending quest
for a bigger boat... I mean jointer. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

One more thought on this subject. IMHO standard length stock, 8' and longer
is too long to easily successfully mill on a 6"-8" jointer.

My DJ-20 does well with 8' stock, but longer than that is a pain.

Personally I
don't like to use the jointer in the middle of a project or after cutting
stock to approximate required length.

It depends on what I'm building.

For critically visible furniture parts, I like to choose more carefully.
Sometimes, I even bandsaw the stock diagonally to "straighten the
grain." Even though I _can_ joint longer stock, I find precutting to
rough length saves wood and makes for faster prep. This also allows
working around grain reversals on the species that come from shorter trees.

For trim or hidden furniture parts, I'm with you all the way. If I need
many long parts, I just buy 7/8" s4s, letting my favorite dealer use his
huge machines. I'll then joint a face & edge, and finish with the drum
sander.

Since I'm usually less concerned with a true _jointed_ board for trim,
I'll usually smooth out the dealer's work with the planer and drum
sander. That stock will never see my jointer.

I do my precutting with a 6" 18V cordless DeWalt circular saw and a
crayon.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"CC" wrote in message
[...]

You can face joint up to 9 or 10" wide stock on a 6" jointer. Remove
the guard and joint a 6" wide flat part, kind of like a 6" wide shallow
rabbet. Place the flattened 6" wide jointed part on a 6" wide piece of
ply at least as long as your board and run it through your planer,
flattening the other side. Now run the jointed side up through your
planer and flatten/thickness the board.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
You can face joint up to 9 or 10" wide stock on a 6" jointer. Remove
the guard and joint a 6" wide flat part, kind of like a 6" wide shallow
rabbet. Place the flattened 6" wide jointed part on a 6" wide piece of
ply at least as long as your board and run it through your planer,
flattening the other side. Now run the jointed side up through your
planer and flatten/thickness the board.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I have some 8" and 11" stuff that I despaired
of truing up properly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

m...

"CC" wrote in message
[...]

I have had the difference between "want" and "need" explained more than
once. Luckily one member of my household has intelligence. So far, my 6"
planer hasn't kept me from doing something I wanted to do. I really want to
get a 12" thickness planer. (Note word usage there... "want".)

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:

The only thing I'd add to that is how wide is the stock you usually use?
I've used a bunch of 8" wide white oak lately... it "just" fit on my 8"
jointer for face jointing as the rough cut edges wandered a bit. I'd
really like to have a 12" jointer. ;~)

John

...ever notice how from the side jointers resemble boats (sail boat
hull, or perhaps a ship such as an aircraft carrier)? There is that
unending quest for a bigger boat... I mean jointer. ;~)

You can face joint up to 9 or 10" wide stock on a 6" jointer. Remove
the guard and joint a 6" wide flat part, kind of like a 6" wide shallow
rabbet. Place the flattened 6" wide jointed part on a 6" wide piece of
ply at least as long as your board and run it through your planer,
flattening the other side. Now run the jointed side up through your
planer and flatten/thickness the board.

I'd heard of that process before and it has merit... particularly if there
is a lot of face jointing to do. In my case, on the occasions I work with
stock wider than 8" it's usually shorter pieces and small quantities and I
use my hand planes. Still, I'd like a 12", or wider, jointer. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:

[...]

Yup, me too. But one of those aircraft carriers would be about 2/3 out
of my gar^H^H^Hshop door.
Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

"CC" wrote in message
[...]

Now that's good to know, I'll remember it
thanks Doug
CC

Posted to rec.woodworking

CC wrote:
You can face joint up to 9 or 10" wide stock on a 6" jointer. Remove
the guard and joint a 6" wide flat part, kind of like a 6" wide shallow
rabbet. Place the flattened 6" wide jointed part on a 6" wide piece of
ply at least as long as your board and run it through your planer,
flattening the other side. Now run the jointed side up through your
planer and flatten/thickness the board.

Now that's good to know, I'll remember it
thanks Doug
CC

Oh, just like that, huh? You'll just *remember* it. What a show off.

Now where did I put that damn PENCIL!? :-)

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
CC wrote:
You can face joint up to 9 or 10" wide stock on a 6" jointer. Remove
the guard and joint a 6" wide flat part, kind of like a 6" wide shallow
rabbet. Place the flattened 6" wide jointed part on a 6" wide piece of
ply at least as long as your board and run it through your planer,
flattening the other side. Now run the jointed side up through your
planer and flatten/thickness the board.

Now that's good to know, I'll remember it
thanks Doug
CC

Oh, just like that, huh? You'll just *remember* it. What a show off.

Now where did I put that damn PENCIL!? :-)

You only have ONE pencil???

I have maybe a billion of them, everywhere, under every tool, every hunk
of wood, everywhere...

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

"CC" wrote in message ...

Thanks again everyone,
I don't anticipate doing anything longer than 6' and
don't have the room for an 8" jointer. Most of what I
do will probably be in the shorter sizes, maybe once in a
while something longer, but it may work out for that
using roller stands. I think the smaller jointer will work
for what I mostly will be doing. I have a new Craftsman
hybrid saw with a 50" table that takes up a lot of room on a mobile
base and this will have to have one too. I have a 1 1/2 car garage
as my shop area so everything needs to be able to move around.
CC

Not to start this up again, but, I just received the current issue of WOOD magazine (issue 189) and contained in it on page 54 is a comparison of 6" jointers.

Might be worth it to grab an issue just to see what is recommended.

Best Buy - Grizzly G604X at $575 (has its own wheels)
Top Value - Rigid JP0610 at $430

P D Q
Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
CC wrote:
[...]

Once you retire, you no longer have to remember things
like getting up to go to work, and which road if going to be
closed this week , not to mention all the rest.. Makes it a lot easier
to remember the good things
hehehe
CC

Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

"PDQ" wrote in message

"CC" wrote in message

[...]

This I wrote down.I didn't want to forget it while in Lowe's
getting light bulbs or some such for the wife
CC

Posted to rec.woodworking

"PDQ" wrote in message

"CC" wrote in message

Thanks again everyone,
I don't anticipate doing anything longer than 6' and
don't have the room for an 8" jointer. Most of what I
do will probably be in the shorter sizes, maybe once in a
while something longer, but it may work out for that
using roller stands. I think the smaller jointer will work
for what I mostly will be doing. I have a new Craftsman
hybrid saw with a 50" table that takes up a lot of room on a mobile
base and this will have to have one too. I have a 1 1/2 car garage
as my shop area so everything needs to be able to move around.
CC

Not to start this up again, but, I just received the current issue of WOOD
magazine (issue 189) and contained in it on page 54 is a comparison of 6"
jointers.

The next issue of Fine Wood Working magazine will have a cover article "Mill
wide boards on a small jointer."

How do I know this? I just made my cover pick again! I was batting 1,000 on
my choices until the last two issues... ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

CC wrote:
[...]

I have found that I NEED a calendar to tell the day of the week let
alone the date....

Posted to rec.woodworking

CC wrote:
[...]

The perpetual calendar: "TODAY".

Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

CC wrote:
[...]

Hell, I can't even find the day of the week on the calendar anymore,,,
The only way I know when it is Thursday, is when the neighbors
set out their trashcans to be emptied the next day. If I don't notice
mine doesn't get picked up.
I quit wearing a watch when I stopped working,,, The only way I know
it's time to
get up in the morning is when the cats drag the covers off me so I
will
get up and feed the little critters. Cats have a built in alarm clock
CC

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CC" wrote in message
Ok, so I buy the cheaper Craftsman jointer
I will be buying rough cut lumber and will want to face joint one side of it
before planning Will there
be much difference between the Craftsman
and the Jet for doing this, Not counting the longer
base of the Jet. I want what ever I buy to be able to
do the job I want. I know you get what you pay for,
but sometimes we buy more than we need too.
At my age, 62, I am not going to be doing this as
production, but something I want to enjoy and not get
frustrated with either. That's happened with some
more economic tools I've used.

Many of us have learned that the only day you enjoy a cheap tool is the day you
pay for it. If you can afford it, go for the better jointer. I bought a 8"
North State jointer a few years ago and while I seldom need its full capacity, I
always enjoy using it.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com