Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default OT NTL digital STB additional use

In article ,
dave wrote:
NTL changes my analogue stb for a digital one yesterday. All works
fine(!). I esp. like having the radio channels on there with good
quality sound - but it's a pity have to have the TV on to listen to it.
To my question...

Is there a way to get the (radio channels) sound from these STB radio
channels to another room somehow? Is there a way for have eg a 2nd tv
(or some black-box) hooked up to this new stb (radio link or cable)? I
don't want to get a dabs radio as have heard that the signal quality is
rarely as good as it could be as bandwidth is reduced because of demand
for channel space

If you're happy with the sound quality of the radio channels as heard
through your TV, DAB will sound just fine.

--
*We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

Not really. AFAIK DAB is off-air broadcast so have to compete with many other
stations. NTL run dedicated cable. Also I believe DAB runs different bitrates on
different channels becuase of bandwidth limitations. I don't have any comparable
figures. But it's not the same problem for them. Anyone here actually know?
That'd be interesting.

Http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk

Might give you the info what you need....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
dave wrote:
If you're happy with the sound quality of the radio channels as heard
through your TV, DAB will sound just fine.

I didn't actually say I was happy with it - but compared to my ancient
drifting trannie it's much better. The TV does have quad speakers
although I am well aware that speakers in a TV is no way hi quality
sound. DAB wil NOT be just fine for me if the bandwidth of the
transmission bandwidth varies with the programme.

Nice theory but you really need to try it out first rather than just
rejecting it out of hand. I know many people who are happy with it
compared to a 'drifting trannie'. I only use it for R3 and R4 at different
times of the day on a very expensive system and it sounds ok. Agreed some
of the pop channels sound crap but then they do on FM or DTTV as well due
to the processing before the transmitter. What the public wants,
apparently.

--
*Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article ,
dave wrote:
If you're happy with the sound quality of the radio channels as heard
through your TV, DAB will sound just fine.

I didn't actually say I was happy with it - but compared to my ancient
drifting trannie it's much better. The TV does have quad speakers
although I am well aware that speakers in a TV is no way hi quality
sound. DAB wil NOT be just fine for me if the bandwidth of the
transmission bandwidth varies with the programme.

Nice theory but you really need to try it out first rather than just
rejecting it out of hand. I know many people who are happy with it
compared to a 'drifting trannie'. I only use it for R3 and R4 at different
times of the day on a very expensive system and it sounds ok.

DABatable;-)

Agreed some
of the pop channels sound crap but then they do on FM or DTTV as well due
to the processing before the transmitter. What the public wants,
apparently.

Yes so the politburo at the BBC reckon;!.....
--
Tony Sayer