Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust Collection Set up

I'm getting excited, we're almost to the point where I can set up a shop in
the former warehouse (aka garage). By summer, I ought to have enough set
up to use the table saw indoors!

So, I'm thinking about dust collection systems. It seems to me the usual
set up around here is a single collector (with some kind of cyclone) that
runs to several tools. How is collection for a table saw be handled? I'm
not a big fan of tripping over a hose while trying to cut plywood down to
size.

Does anyone bother with dust collection for a drill press?

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 24, 2:27*am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
I'm getting excited, we're almost to the point where I can set up a shop in
the former warehouse (aka garage). *By summer, I ought to have enough set
up to use the table saw indoors!

So, I'm thinking about dust collection systems. *It seems to me the usual
set up around here is a single collector (with some kind of cyclone) that
runs to several tools. *How is collection for a table saw be handled? *I'm
not a big fan of tripping over a hose while trying to cut plywood down to
size.

Does anyone bother with dust collection for a drill press?

Puckdropper

Hey PD,
I dropped a flex hose down from the ceiling in a place outside the
range of any sheet of plywood that would pass over the saw table. I
used a quick disconnect in the rare instances that I had to remove the
hose to position a board on the table. As for the drill press, I had
previously used my DC with a nozzle on the hose for most chip
collection but now I have a remote actuated vacuum (Festool) that goes
on with the drill press and the hose is small enough that it does not
get in the way. It is a lot easier to make set ups without having the
DC running all of the time, and unlike my larger tools, the power
switch for my DC is not loacted near the drill press.
Wishing you quick success with getting that shop running.

Marc
(And wishing all of you a Mrry Christmas too!!!!!)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
runs to several tools. How is collection for a table saw be handled? I'm
not a big fan of tripping over a hose while trying to cut plywood down to
size.

I suspect many people run the hose along the upper corners of the workshop
and then bring the hose across the ceiling down to the machine in question.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

I'm getting excited, we're almost to the point where I can set up a
shop in the former warehouse (aka garage). By summer, I ought to
have enough set up to use the table saw indoors!

So, I'm thinking about dust collection systems. It seems to me the
usual set up around here is a single collector (with some kind of
cyclone) that runs to several tools. How is collection for a table
saw be handled? I'm not a big fan of tripping over a hose while
trying to cut plywood down to size.

Does anyone bother with dust collection for a drill press?

Puckdropper

This system can be attached to a shop vac and wheeled around from tool to
tool. The hose can be bent to where you need it and stays in place on its
own so it doesn't need to be attached to the machine or otherwise held in
place. There's a photo in LV's fall '08 flyer that shows the system
attached to a shop vac.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...t=1,42401&ap=1

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 24, 11:27*am, "DGDevin" wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

If you are really serious about DC, go he
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/Cyclone/Index.cfm

In a nutshell..

6" lines to every tool - sewer and drain pipe is good alternative to
high cost spiral metal.
A cyclone of Bill's or equivalent design (apparently there a quite a
few cyclones that dont really work)

I ended up pretty much arranging my tools to accomodate dust
collection. I have my TS, jointer, BS right next to each other. My
jet cabinet saw is proving to be my biggest challenge (as will any
compound miter saw be). I need to collect at the base and above the
blade. They make nice fixtures for above the blade at about 1/3 the
cost of the entire saw! I'm too cheap for that right now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:

So, I'm thinking about dust collection systems. It seems to me the usual
set up around here is a single collector (with some kind of cyclone) that
runs to several tools. How is collection for a table saw be handled? I'm
not a big fan of tripping over a hose while trying to cut plywood down to
size.

I have a drop that connects to the standard saw outlet and a shop-made
overarm collector. I still miss SOME dust, but I get enough.

Does anyone bother with dust collection for a drill press?

I do with Forstner bits, sanding, or long production runs, but not for
just a few holes. I have a quick connect on the 12" disc next to my DP.
The outside of the QC is velcro wrapped, and the DP table has matching
velcro. That drop uses an aluminum dryer hose that nearly stays in
place on it's own.
Posted to rec.woodworking

marc rosen wrote:
DC running all of the time, and unlike my larger tools, the power

switch for my DC is not loacted near the drill press.

Repeat after me...

"A Long Ranger remote is a fantastic value!"

I had to live without the remote for a month. It was a real drag...
Posted to rec.woodworking

marc rosen wrote in
:

[...]

That sounds like a good way to start. Maybe I'll run power to the TS the
same way. If I miss the hose, I'll certainly miss the power cord.

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DGDevin" wrote in
m:

This system can be attached to a shop vac and wheeled around from tool
to tool. The hose can be bent to where you need it and stays in place
on its own so it doesn't need to be attached to the machine or
otherwise held in place. There's a photo in LV's fall '08 flyer that
shows the system attached to a shop vac.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...t=1,42401&ap=1

I've done something similar with a clamp. It works ok until I hit the hose
and knock things loose.

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Take a look at this Barry:

http://www.ptreeusa.com/dusthose.htm

Scroll down to "Stay Put Hose" ....neat and "fairly" cheap.

B A R R Y wrote:

Does anyone bother with dust collection for a drill press?

I do with Forstner bits, sanding, or long production runs, but not for
just a few holes. I have a quick connect on the 12" disc next to my DP.
The outside of the QC is velcro wrapped, and the DP table has matching
velcro. That drop uses an aluminum dryer hose that nearly stays in
place on it's own.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
Take a look at this Barry:

http://www.ptreeusa.com/dusthose.htm

Scroll down to "Stay Put Hose" ....neat and "fairly" cheap.

Saw that at the woodworking show. Worked great.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Pat Barber wrote:
Take a look at this Barry:

http://www.ptreeusa.com/dusthose.htm

Scroll down to "Stay Put Hose" ....neat and "fairly" cheap

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep it in mind for when my dryer duct needs
replacing.

dust collection Kevin Cleary Woodturning 10 July 13th 06 06:26 PM
Dust Collection EdG Woodworking 13 June 20th 05 11:31 PM
Dust collection Bill Gooch Woodturning 4 June 10th 05 04:01 AM
Best TS for dust collection Matthew Woodworking 13 December 20th 04 03:36 AM