Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Antique tool show listings/ads

Anyone know a site or magazine where they advertise? I'm looking to
outfit a small shop and I'd like to buy a few things that aren't
really stocked anymore. If anyone knows of shows or particularly good
dealers within a long drive of central Pennsylvania (where I live) or
south Florida (where the folks are), that would be particularly
welcome. Thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Focusing on the "aren't really stocked anymore" phrase:
--it all depends upon WHERE you are shopping. 10 or 12 years ago we
spent several days in the town of Prerov, Czech Republic. A visit to
the local hardware store on "Main St." was like going back in time a
century or two. Two or three different models of wood cook stoves and
heating stoves, wooden-base hand planes and on and on and on. That's
what the local people use everydy there.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

Sledge Hammer wrote:

Anyone know a site or magazine where they advertise? I'm looking to
outfit a small shop and I'd like to buy a few things that aren't
really stocked anymore. If anyone knows of shows or particularly good
dealers within a long drive of central Pennsylvania (where I live) or
south Florida (where the folks are), that would be particularly
welcome. Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
,
Sledge Hammer wrote:

Anyone know a site or magazine where they advertise? I'm looking to
outfit a small shop and I'd like to buy a few things that aren't
really stocked anymore. If anyone knows of shows or particularly good
dealers within a long drive of central Pennsylvania (where I live) or
south Florida (where the folks are), that would be particularly
welcome. Thanks in advance.

What sorts of "few things" are you looking for? Many things that aren't
exactly common are still available new if you know where to look...you
might get a few more useful pointers if you ask for specifics.

Lee Valley of course carries a bunch of hand tools of yore and not of
yore. (http://www.leevalley.com/) I presume you probably already know
about them if you're posting here, but perhaps not.

Lehman's hardware (in central Ohio or catalog/online) carries a number
of old-time sorts of products, although not quite so many workshop
tools. (http://www.lehmans.com/) If you are interested in a
woodburning stove or living somewhere without electricity, this is
definitely one place to investigate.

Traditional Woodworker has a very impressive selection of mostly hand
tools. (http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/)

Good luck on your quest.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to rec.woodworking

You might try watching craigs list and ebay. I am a contstant watcher
of both and I hve gotten quite an education of all sorts of old
machines.

On ebay you can just search by specifc name of old thing or I try to
go in daily. I select categories= business and industrial=
woodworking and then sort by newly listed.

For Craig's there is a tool called CraigsList Reader Pro (google for
it) that lets you search on more than one craigs location at a time so
you can just choose areas to which you have access. I just had a buddy
of mine, 100 miles away, pick me up a 3hp Grizzly dust collector for
$100. Saved me the trip and made it possible. And then once he had it
onboard his truck he just drove down and dropped it on my doorstep
saving me the trip up I had planed in a few weeks.

On Dec 14, 7:05*am, Sledge Hammer wrote:
Anyone know a site or magazine where they advertise? *I'm looking to
outfit a small shop and I'd like to buy a few things that aren't
really stocked anymore. *If anyone knows of shows or particularly good
dealers within a long drive of central Pennsylvania (where I live) or
south Florida (where the folks are), that would be particularly
welcome. *Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 14, 12:53*pm, Andrew Erickson
wrote:
What sorts of "few things" are you looking for? *Many things that aren't
exactly common are still available new if you know where to look...you
might get a few more useful pointers if you ask for specifics.

Alas, large cast iron miter boxes (Stanley or Langdon/Miller Falls)
and compatible long backsaws appear to be out of production, even at
the sites you mention. Ultimately, I'd like to get a few more things,
but the miter box is more immediate. As someone suggested, I have my
eye on eBay as well.

I distrust the sturdiness of the Nobex Champion, which I take it to be
the biggest and best currently available.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 14, 4:05*pm, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
I can't help you out too much around Pennsylvania (long drive is less than
3 states away, right? :-)), but if you are looking for something specific
send me an email. *We've had an addition of a couple antique dealers to the
family and I can pass your request along. *

I'm looking for a larger miter box and saw (Stanley 360 or 460 look
like they'd do the trick from the old specs in the old catalogs) that
is either intact or only needs things that I can easily substitute. A
few states away works if it's in the direction of someplace I get to
now and again and can combine a trip for (MD, DC, Northern VA, NJ or
NY might work if I have a good chance of getting a lot done in a
single trip). If I've got to drive 300 miles into Appalachia and go
to 10 shops, paying the postage and risking ebay fraud isn't so bad
(no offense to Appalachia intended).
Posted to rec.woodworking
LD LD is offline

wrote:
What sorts of "few things" are you looking for? Many things that aren't
exactly common are still available new if you know where to look...you
might get a few more useful pointers if you ask for specifics.

Alas, large cast iron miter boxes (Stanley or Langdon/Miller Falls)
and compatible long backsaws appear to be out of production, even at
the sites you mention. Ultimately, I'd like to get a few more things,
but the miter box is more immediate. As someone suggested, I have my
eye on eBay as well.

I distrust the sturdiness of the Nobex Champion, which I take it to be
the biggest and best currently available.

The Nobex is fine, If you mount it firmly. I've had several years use from
mine and I'm quite satisfied with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 14, 4:15*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

For Craig's there is a tool called CraigsList Reader Pro (google for
it) that lets you search on more than one craigs location at a time so
you can just choose areas to which you have access. I just had a buddy

Thank you for that suggestion! I didn't know about that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:55:20 -0800, Sledge Hammer wrote:

Alas, large cast iron miter boxes (Stanley or Langdon/Miller Falls)
and compatible long backsaws appear to be out of production, even at
the sites you mention.

I've got a Goodell Manufacturing box with a Disston backsaw made for it
from 1898. I found it at an estate sale. I did see two of them on Ebay
a couple of years ago, so try your luck. Mine works great.

BTW, that's not Goodell Brothers or Goodell-Pratt. It's Goodell
Manufacturing, the third brother :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sledge Hammer wrote in
:

[...]

I haven't seen anything like that in their shops, but it sounds like it'd
be big and expensive to ship anyway.

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.