Posted to rec.woodworking

Default old substance under flooring

I've removed a section of herringbone oak flooring over concrete,
installed in 1929. They used some black
stuff for a substrate that's now hard, glossy and brittle. I was
wondering what it is, and the best way to remove it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote:

I've removed a section of herringbone oak flooring over concrete,
installed in 1929. They used some black
stuff for a substrate that's now hard, glossy and brittle. I was
wondering what it is, and the best way to remove it.

Sounds like it is an asphalt based mastic.

The VOCs are long gone; however, what is left will probably burn if it
gets too hot.

I'd try a 1,500 watt heat gun and a putty knife.

Under no circumstances would I use an open flame torch of any kind.

Be prepared to get a mask if you start to smell vapors.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Elrond Hubbard" wrote in message
If that's not an option, one of these bad boys will chisel it up in no
time:

http://www.toolmarts.com/bosch11241EVS.html

And if you're going to use one of those, then a pair of these will make your
day go a little easier.
http://www.labsafety.com/store/Safet...sredirect=true

Posted to rec.woodworking

If it's brittle and has any thicknes to it, maybe try an automated
tile remover.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sounds like tar.

It might just crack up and tote out. It kept out termites and
leveled the floor.

That is my thought.

Martin

wrote:
I've removed a section of herringbone oak flooring over concrete,
installed in 1929. They used some black
stuff for a substrate that's now hard, glossy and brittle. I was
wondering what it is, and the best way to remove it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in message
I've removed a section of herringbone oak flooring over concrete,
installed in 1929. They used some black
stuff for a substrate that's now hard, glossy and brittle. I was
wondering what it is, and the best way to remove it.

The old mastics that were used for flooring used to have been made with
asbestos. If the year stated is correct, this may predate that. I would have
a small sample checked before I chisel, burn or anything else..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Over concrete is the key. Concrete sweats. Wood floor over sweating
area - bad news.

Normally resin paper and tar paper is used.

I suspect the layer of tar was higher quality tar paper and leveling.

In any case if it is removed, something else has to replace it before
adding wood over the concrete.

Martin

wrote:
I've removed a section of herringbone oak flooring over concrete,
installed in 1929. They used some black
stuff for a substrate that's now hard, glossy and brittle. I was
wondering what it is, and the best way to remove it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've removed a section of herringbone oak flooring over concrete,
installed in 1929. *They used some black
stuff for a substrate that's now hard, glossy and brittle. *I was
wondering what it is, and the best way to remove it.

You might try dry ice.

Smitty