Posted to rec.woodworking

Default where the heck do all the old kitchen cabinets go?

About 2 years ago I finally got my woodshop going (
http://www.spaco.org/myshop.htm). I needed (and still do need) a work
bench. Not a regular woodworkers bench, but a thing with drawers and
doors and as large a flat surface as I can get.
I googled around a lot and made screen copies of anything that looked
good to me. Then I looked over the whole bunch of pictures (about 20 or
them) and picked out the size, shape and design that looked like "just
what I want". It turns out that is was an 8 foot long Kitchen sink
cabinet that someone had put a new top on.
Note: I don't want to build one: I just WANT one.

Anyway, I have been looking for a source for one of those in decent
condition on and off since and I just can't find a source.
Where do they go? There must be thousands of them. Do they get scrapped
out when they are replaced? A guy at a local cabinet shop says that
most of his customers put them down in the basement so he doesn't ever
get any.
Okay, but not EVERYONE has to have cabinets in the basement. Where
are the rest of them.

western Wisconsin, out in the sticks,
Pete Stanaitis
-------------------
Posted to rec.woodworking

spaco wrote:

About 2 years ago I finally got my woodshop going (
http://www.spaco.org/myshop.htm). I needed (and still do need) a work
bench. Not a regular woodworkers bench, but a thing with drawers and
doors and as large a flat surface as I can get.
I googled around a lot and made screen copies of anything that looked
good to me. Then I looked over the whole bunch of pictures (about 20 or
them) and picked out the size, shape and design that looked like "just
what I want". It turns out that is was an 8 foot long Kitchen sink
cabinet that someone had put a new top on.
Note: I don't want to build one: I just WANT one.

Is there a Habitat for Humanity outlet within reach? Here's my local
one in North Carolina.

http://www.habitatwake.org/

Maybe they have a site finder for something close to you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 24, 2:01*pm, spaco wrote:
[...]

Try Craigslist, I sometimes see them listed under 'free'
Posted to rec.woodworking

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

watch craigslist for one

Posted to rec.woodworking

spaco wrote:
[...]

Is there an architectural salvage place in your area?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...earch&aq=f&oq=

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Whenever I've pulled any out, they came out in pieces, they were so shoddily
built.

Guess that doesn't help you much, but good luck in your search.

You might try the orange or blue store for off-the-shelf cabinets. They're
usually pretty reasonably priced, especially if you're already seriously
considering 2nd hand.

jc

"spaco" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 24, 2:31*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:

[...]

Last time I did that, I ended up with a dog.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I recommend you scrap the kitchen cabinet idea. Go around to
construction dumpsters and salvage some plywood and framing lumber and
build your own. The best time to collect plywood is when the roofing
is being done.

I salvaged lumber in my spare time, this way, for about 2 weeks this
past summer in a subdivision being built. Results: I double-decked my
overhang to the shop (14' x 30') and made 5 floor/work cabinets and
several wall cabinets. I still have a stack of plywood 8' high and
lots of framing lumber under the overhang. Once a few contractors
learned what I was collecting for, they gave me several full sheets,
to boot. Note: Not all contractors allow you to salvage from the
dumpsters...liability! It's not unusual to find quarter to half rolls
of Tyvek in the dumpsters, also.

When the road in front of my house was being widened, 7-8 yrs ago, I
salvaged 21 full sheets and 32 half sheets of 3/4" CDX.... remnants of
catch basin construction. Also, 250' of 8" "old/used" PVC water
line, with sleeves.

I simply asked if I could salvage.

Sonny