Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can you identify the maker of this chisel?

I picked up a couple of chisels at a tool sale and I can't figure out
who the manufacturer was. There was a logo on the handles, but they are
beat up so badly I can't make out any details. These photos show all
the markings on the body and handles:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/3045175806/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/3044353239/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/3045175598/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/3044370115/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/3044370315/

Any ideas?

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
I picked up a couple of chisels at a tool sale and I can't figure out
who the manufacturer was. There was a logo on the handles, but they are
beat up so badly I can't make out any details. These photos show all
the markings on the body and handles:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/3045175806/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/3044353239/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/3045175598/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/3044370115/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/3044370315/

Any ideas?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

All right then, maybe someone can recommend a web forum where they
specialize in such obscure questions?

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...
Steve Turner wrote:
I picked up a couple of chisels at a tool sale and I can't figure out
who the manufacturer was. There was a logo on the handles, but they are
beat up so badly I can't make out any details. These photos show all
the markings on the body and handles:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/3045175806/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/3044353239/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/3045175598/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/3044370115/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/3044370315/

Any ideas?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

All right then, maybe someone can recommend a web forum where they
specialize in such obscure questions?

No, can't help. I _know_ I have seen that makers stamp before (the S-
shaped diving [whale]), I believe on a high quality kitchen knife, but I
can't name the manufacturer. I had a bit of a look around German online
tool sellers to see if I could find it, but it didn't show up.

Bahco uses a fish stamp, but 1. it's a different shape and 2. they're
Swedish as far as I can recall.

-P.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Peter Huebner" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Steve Turner wrote:
[...]

Just googled Germany+Tools+Whale and came up with a Sheffield forum
discussing knives. Mention made of a knife marked "Germany" with a
whale logo. Perhaps it might be Richartz Bros of Solingen.

Link to forum below. Maybe they can help : )

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/fo.../t727-100.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
[...]

Might do better to just email richartz http://www.richartz.com/.
Their current logo is more stylized, but that doesn't mean it has
always been so.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

DiggerOp wrote:
No, can't help. I _know_ I have seen that makers stamp before (the
S-
shaped diving [whale]), I believe on a high quality kitchen knife,
but I
can't name the manufacturer. I had a bit of a look around German
online
tool sellers to see if I could find it, but it didn't show up.

Bahco uses a fish stamp, but 1. it's a different shape and 2.
they're
Swedish as far as I can recall.

-P.

Just googled Germany+Tools+Whale and came up with a Sheffield forum
discussing knives. Mention made of a knife marked "Germany" with a
whale logo. Perhaps it might be Richartz Bros of Solingen.

Link to forum below. Maybe they can help : )

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/fo.../t727-100.html

Ah, so I should have Googled "whale" instead of "fish". :-) Thanks for
the leads guys, I'll follow up.

--
Repeat after me:
"I am we Todd it. I am sofa king we Todd it."

Chisel Storage Rick Cox Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 May 23rd 07 03:10 PM
Identify ceiling fan maker? [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 19th 06 03:12 PM
CHISEL HOLDER J T Woodworking 0 January 26th 05 05:12 PM
Bye-bye, chisel! Doug Miller Woodworking 16 November 22nd 04 10:46 AM
Chisel dissapointment Ramsey Woodworking 35 September 7th 03 04:41 PM