Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Boise: need help planing/flattening/sanding a workbench top

hello,

I am in the process of making myself a new workbench (nothing fancy, just
2*4 glued together).
I flatten the top in 3 parts (each made of around 6 2*4 glued on the face)
on my 12" planer so far and I am now doing the final glueing of the 3 parts
together... of course, such glue jobs are never perfect, and I would love to
be able to pass the whole slab (7' long*3" thick*27" wide) in a large
planner to finish the job (instead of the alternative: hand flattening :-().

I am just wondering if there is anyone in or around Boise that has such huge
planer (or drum sander) and is willing to let me have a go at it for 10
minutes or so (I am happy to pay for the service). I need to take out
roughly 3/32 of an inch on the top, probably 2 passes in the machine.

thanks,
cyrille at hp dot com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 19, 7:32*am, "Cyrille de Brebisson" wrote:
[...]

do a Google maps for Boise & then search for

drum sanding, drum sander or woodworking

make a few call & you're done

in my area (SoCal) I have local cabinet shop that will drum sand for ~
$40 / hr with $20 minium....a couple passes on both sides & you'd be
done

cheers
Bob
Posted to rec.woodworking

"BobK207" wrote in message
On Nov 19, 7:32 am, "Cyrille de Brebisson" wrote:
hello,

I am in the process of making myself a new workbench (nothing fancy, just
2*4 glued together).
I flatten the top in 3 parts (each made of around 6 2*4 glued on the face)
on my 12" planer so far and I am now doing the final glueing of the 3
parts
together... of course, such glue jobs are never perfect, and I would love
be able to pass the whole slab (7' long*3" thick*27" wide) in a large
planner to finish the job (instead of the alternative: hand flattening
:-().

I am just wondering if there is anyone in or around Boise that has such
huge
planer (or drum sander) and is willing to let me have a go at it for 10
minutes or so (I am happy to pay for the service). I need to take out
roughly 3/32 of an inch on the top, probably 2 passes in the machine.

thanks,
cyrille at hp dot com

do a Google maps for Boise & then search for

drum sanding, drum sander or woodworking

make a few call & you're done

in my area (SoCal) I have local cabinet shop that will drum sand for ~
$40 / hr with $20 minium....a couple passes on both sides & you'd be
done

cheers
Bob

Here is only a suggestion...... Try talking to the local shops that has
woodworking classes. They usually have a large planner and will help you
out.

Ifso

Posted to rec.woodworking

FYI, the glue is really hard on the planer blades. Most folks would
never let you rung thay type of glue up through a planer but a wide
belt or drum sander is the ticket.

Maybe try getting to know your local cabinet shop. Most smaller shops
are owned by guys who love woodworking and glad to meet a fellow
woodorker. Of course, there are assholes everywhere too, so just go to
the next shop whne that happens. Heck just use the phone. Everyone can
always use an extra $20 or a six pack. Just make an offer.

Honestly, I use the same process to make Maple edgegrain butcher block
tops. I've always had access to a wide sander. The shop I was last in
had a 24" capacity but I often made up 30" wide tops, starting with
maybe 8" wide slabs, sanding them flat and then and building them up
to 16's, etc. I always was just real careful and clamped the final
glue up down to the table to get it real close to perfect joints and
then some careful work with a hand held belt sander can finish the
job. Use an easy grit like 180 run the sander straight back and forth
inline with the grain but keep the sander at 30 degrees off line so it
is sanding to the side a bit and use a real lite hand so the sander is
just floating along doing its job. I've done the final flattening lots
of times this way.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just a different angle to peruse. Have you considered making a sled for a
router and using a wide diameter bottom cleaning bit as a method of planing?
A little slower I know but it gets the job done on surfaces too big to go
through your planer.

--

The Fluffy Bunny of Vile Carnage

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point
in being a damn fool about it. ~ W. C. Fields