Cyrille de Brébisson

Default looking for wood for floring in/near boise

Hello,

My SO wants to put wood flooring in the basement that I am building.
however, she does not want a "standard" oak flooring, but something that is
more red/dark and wich wide boards (4 to 6 inches)...

Of course, you can not find something like that at HD or similar, so I was
thinking of using cheap hardwood and route tongues and groves on them...

What do you think of that idea? I only need 100 sqft..
What type of wood should I use (must be low cost, $4/bf)
any advices from the experience peoples around?

thanks, cyrille

Edwin Pawlowski

"Cyrille de Brébisson" wrote in message

My SO wants to put wood flooring in the basement that I am building.
however, she does not want a "standard" oak flooring, but something that
is more red/dark and wich wide boards (4 to 6 inches)...

Wood flooring and basements are problematic. Are you building up a floor
with insulation and vapor barrier? If so, any local wood should do. Local
sawmills and suppliers will have better prices than something trucked, of
course. Wood flooring also has relief cuts milled on the back.

It may be easier and cheaper in the long run to use an engineered wood floor
with proper barrier.