Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 258

A new set of photos has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
A new set of photos has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1459: Ratchet to tighten fence wire.

1462: Looks like a hand truck that folds out to support a large box or
make it easy for two people to work together moving the load.

1463: Indoor UHF TV antenna. I never liked mine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Nov 13, 4:57*pm, "Rob H." wrote:
A new set of photos has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1459: I like EZ Peaces suggestion: a ratchet for tightening barbed
wire fencing.

1460: Steering yoke off of a Buckboard?

1461: I think the purpose of this device was to cause a small
'explosion'...the powder (flour? sawdust?) was blown down the handle
and up through the holes, where the candle would ingnite the cloud of
dust and cause a big flameball. Maybe to start the updraft in a
chimney or something?

1462: A trolly for moving rolled-up carpeting.

1463: A device to remind us 50-somethings of how old we are. Nowadays
replaced with a coaxial cable to the wall...

1464: A shepherd's prod, for pushing sheep and rams through a corral
gate.

I'll let you guys decide which of these were pure guesses...

--riverman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1461: I think the purpose of this device was to cause a small
'explosion'...the powder (flour? sawdust?) was blown down the handle
and up through the holes, where the candle would ingnite the cloud of
dust and cause a big flameball. Maybe to start the updraft in a
chimney or something?

I agree with this guess, though it's difficult to say how it was used, maybe
a science demo,or in a theatrical production, or just for fun.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1463 Just about everyone will recognize a UHF TV antenna. What I find
interesting about this one is that, unlike many UHF antennas that are
artwork or frauds, this one is largely functional. Each bowtie is a dipole,
with the leaf shape intended to match the impedance of the incoming waves
over a limited frequency range. The background grill is a reflector
creating image dipoles, for horizontally polarized signals, that narrow the
horizontal antenna pattern and provide antenna gain. The stacked dipoles
narrow the pattern vertically, again improving antenna gain. The vertical
copper straps seem sized to be about the 300 ohm impedance needed to match
to the connection. Whoever designed this knew what he was trying to do, and
was probably rewarded with commercial failure.

"Rob H." wrote in message
A new set of photos has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Alexander Thesoso" wrote in message
1463 Just about everyone will recognize a UHF TV antenna. What I find
interesting about this one is that, unlike many UHF antennas that are
artwork or frauds, this one is largely functional. Each bowtie is a
dipole, with the leaf shape intended to match the impedance of the
incoming waves over a limited frequency range. The background grill is a
reflector creating image dipoles, for horizontally polarized signals, that
narrow the horizontal antenna pattern and provide antenna gain. The
stacked dipoles narrow the pattern vertically, again improving antenna
gain. The vertical copper straps seem sized to be about the 300 ohm
impedance needed to match to the connection. Whoever designed this knew
what he was trying to do, and was probably rewarded with commercial
failure.

It's not terribly different than the one I just put up on my roof. I still
refuse to get cable or satellite. The OTA channels are more than enough
drivel for me.

Ed

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Ed Edelenbos wrote:

It's not terribly different than the one I just put up on my roof. I
still refuse to get cable or satellite. The OTA channels are more than
enough drivel for me.

Ed

Me too. At one time I used outdoor four-bay bow-ties with amps and
rotators. Then I decided that the quality of the shows wasn't worth
worrying about the quality of reception. Cable was worse because it
took me longer to determine that there was nothing worth watching.

Then I got an HDTV. I could get fifty channels if I rotated a four-bay
bow-tie above the roof. I could get the same fifty channels with the
same antenna indoors on a stand made from the pedestal of a broken
office chair.

There are a lot more worthwhile shows available to me because public
stations broadcast several digital channels at once. Better detail,
color, and sound make formerly boring shows enjoyable. Faces reveal
more character.

At one time I had reservations about Obama because I thought he had blue
lips. HDTV proved me wrong.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article ,
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

"Alexander Thesoso" wrote in message

[...]
impedance needed to match to the connection. Whoever designed this knew
what he was trying to do, and was probably rewarded with commercial
failure.

It's not terribly different than the one I just put up on my roof. I still
refuse to get cable or satellite. The OTA channels are more than enough
drivel for me.

It's the famed Double-Bowtie antenna. It's too small for really good UHF
reception (should be 16 inches wide or perhaps slightly wider, it's
actually 12 inches wide), and it tends to fall over. It is, however,
one of the the best indoor UHF antennas around. It's discontinued now
but it sold for years in Radio Shack and as the Channel Master 4149,
so it wasn't exactly a commercial failure.

Summit Source apparently still has some under the Channel Master part number.

I've gone all-OTA myself, with a Channel Master 4221 (same idea, only
considerably wider and with four "whisker-style" bowties -- it's an
outdoor antenna) and a neutered Terk HDTVo for VHF.
--
It's times like these which make me glad my bank is Dial-a-Mattress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Matthew Russotto wrote:
In article ,
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the antenna number. By golly, there are people who like it!

I tried mine with the original 300-ohm ribbon, with a uhf amplifier, and
with a balun. I ended up using the rabbit ears that came with the TV.

Channel Master advertised it as a Style Leader. It seems they quit
selling it just as people are scrambling for indoor HDTV antennas. It
sounds as if a lot of customers have been disappointed.

I think I know why. I was concerned with channels 18-33, and the 4149
seems too small for the lower frequencies. Perhaps the designer chose
higher frequencies because those stylish plates won't work for a wide
range. Maybe people who like it judge it on higher frequencies.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"E Z Peaces" wrote in message
. ..
Matthew Russotto wrote:
In article ,
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

[...]

For all the time I spent studying all that stuff, I sure don't seem to
remember much. (elec. engr. background) A lot of it is easy to over
think. By now, the designs are so proven, you almost have to try to make
'em fail. I have a buddy who made one out of coat hangars and a 2 by 3.
It looks god-awful but dang if he don't get all the same stations I do with
my $50 Antennas Direct store bought. (grin)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EHYG9K

Ed

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article ,
E Z Peaces wrote:

I think I know why. I was concerned with channels 18-33, and the 4149
seems too small for the lower frequencies. Perhaps the designer chose
higher frequencies because those stylish plates won't work for a wide
range. Maybe people who like it judge it on higher frequencies.

Yes, the Double Bow is pretty poorly matched down in the lower UHF
frequencies. It should still beat a loop, though.

The Silver Sensor is probably a better choice overall, especially
after February when most of 52-69 will go dark.
--
It's times like these which make me glad my bank is Dial-a-Mattress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Alexander Thesoso wrote:
1463 Just about everyone will recognize a UHF TV antenna. What I find
interesting about this one is that, unlike many UHF antennas that are
artwork or frauds, this one is largely functional. Each bowtie is a dipole,
with the leaf shape intended to match the impedance of the incoming waves
over a limited frequency range. The background grill is a reflector
creating image dipoles, for horizontally polarized signals, that narrow the
horizontal antenna pattern and provide antenna gain. The stacked dipoles
narrow the pattern vertically, again improving antenna gain. The vertical
copper straps seem sized to be about the 300 ohm impedance needed to match
to the connection. Whoever designed this knew what he was trying to do, and
was probably rewarded with commercial failure.

Back about 1980 I was similarly impressed, so I bought one. I was
disappointed. IIRC, I found no improvement over rabbit ears or a loop
for UHF gain and multipath rejection.

I don't know if others were similarly disappointed. The classic design
uses wires like cat whiskers for the bow ties. I don't know if metal
plates are equivalent. The classic design has 10 cm between the bow
ties and the reflector. This one has only 5 cm. The classic design
uses series/parallel wiring to get 300 ohms. The indoor model looks
like 75 ohms, which could mean standing waves in the transmission line.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

E Z Peaces wrote:
Alexander Thesoso wrote:
[...]

Actually the cat whiskers are the equivalent of the bow ties. If you
take a line normal (90 degrees) to the centerline of the bow tie you
will have the electrical equivalent of a tuned wire antenna for any
given UHF TV channel.

Dave Nagel
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1459 - Maybe an old security type fastener?

1460 - Model of a suspension equipped steerable tongue?

1461 - Looks like some type of home made flash pot.

1462 - Made in China game hauler, based on the design used on a rolled
goods dolly. The give away is the background...

1463 - Double bowtie UHF antenna. Worked OK if you were in line of sight
of the station.

1464 - Looks like some type of fork, maybe for moving shocks of wheat?

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

E Z Peaces wrote:

Back about 1980 I was similarly impressed, so I bought one. I was
disappointed. IIRC, I found no improvement over rabbit ears or a loop
for UHF gain and multipath rejection.

In the days before cable I built a 7-element quad loop antenna for a
friend in the Philly area who wanted to watch NYC's Channel 9 (ESPN?)
but couldn't quite pull it in. With the antenna sitting on a pair of
sawhorses in his garage, reception was "like right next door!"

It didn't bother him that it only worked for the one channel.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 06:41:12 -0500, Alexander Thesoso wrote:

1463 Just about everyone will recognize a UHF TV antenna. What I find
interesting about this one is that, unlike many UHF antennas that are
artwork or frauds, this one is largely functional. Each bowtie is a
dipole, with the leaf shape intended to match the impedance of the
incoming waves over a limited frequency range.

No, the bowtie shape is to give a broad frequency range (like 470-890
MHz). The impedance is determined by other aspects of the geometry.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 03:57:49 -0500, Rob H. wrote:

A new set of photos has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

I rarely answer these, since I'm so lousy at them.

1463 is clearly an indoor antenna of some sort. TV, I'd presueme.

1462 is a hand truck. Or did you want to know what specific use this
configuration of hand truck is for? :-)

If I had to guess on 1461, I'd guess some sort of thurible that you blow
into to release the incense, but that seems bizarre.

--
Ted S.
fedya at hughes dot net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
A new set of photos has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1459 I cant figure this out but the "leesburg 'O'" suggest something to do
with railroads to me. so I am going to guess that its some kind of fastener
that resists loosening with vibration. Maybe on the rails?
1460 Cart steering yoke?
1461 opium pipe?
1462 like a sack truck but for carrying boxes rather than sacks.
1463 some kind of ariel. Cant guess what for I'm thinking radar but i very
much doubt it.
1464 could this be a kind of pitchfork? maybe for passing bundles of thatch
up to a roof?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Dwayne" fired this volley in
:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1461 looks like a lycopodium fireball effect for stage shows.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote:

A new set of photos has been posted:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1462 Is yea old big game cart. To haul that big Buck out of
the woods. Looks a lot like this one:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...a&type=product

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , "Rob H."
wrote:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

My guesses:

1459 - Wire fence tightener; the groove on the thingy is slipped over
the fence wire, and then the wire twisted around the middle using a
wrench. The teeth serve to keep it from unwinding after tightening to
the right degree.

1460 - Appears to be some sort of a wagon hitch, with either a
cushioning spring or (more likely, in my estimation) an automatic
braking feature.

1461 - Fumigator? Some chemical placed in the can could be dispersed
and heated by blowing into the pipe.

1462 - Folding handcart for, ummm, maybe toting stovewood, although it
looks hard to balance regardless of what is toted.

1463 - Antenna; frequency band uncertain, but possibly UHF television or
the new fancy digital television.

1464 - I don't even have a faint idea what the intended use of this tool
is, but I don't think I want to be on the receiving end of it.

Now to see other guesses....

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

All but the last one were answered correctly this week, the answer page has
been posted including an update on one of the tools from the previous set:

http://answers258r.blogspot.com/

Rob