Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Variable Angle Dovetails with the Akeda

A little bit of a different dovetail:

http://www.krtwood.com/varyangledovetail.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd go with a shallower angle on the ends - the ones in the photos look
apt to split off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

An interesting idea, and one that's never crossed my mind. It'd look pretty
cool with smaller angles on both ends, increasing toward the middle,
wouldn't it?

Tom Dacon

wrote in message
A little bit of a different dovetail:

http://www.krtwood.com/varyangledovetail.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 27, 10:38 pm, charlieb wrote:
I'd go with a shallower angle on the ends - the ones in the photos look
apt to split off.

Akeda recommends the 20 degree angle for 1/4" stock, I've been using
14 though. It really should have wider half pins, but this was just a
test and to go any wider I would have had to do a glue-up which would
have exceeded my time for screwing around.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 28, 11:39 am, "Tom Dacon" wrote:
An interesting idea, and one that's never crossed my mind. It'd look pretty
cool with smaller angles on both ends, increasing toward the middle,
wouldn't it?

It's stronger having them out at the outsides where the stresses are
larger, but going the other way would be interesting too. I want to
try alternating between steep and shallow as well. I've seen variable
spacing where the tails get narrower as you get to the edges but
haven't seen different angles.

Another use would be to just make very subtle variations to make it
look more hand cut. When they come out with the 6 degree bits and
guides it'll be possible to use 6 and 7 degrees, which I'm fairly sure
would be too subtle to notice but it might just inexplicably look
better and you wouldn't know why. That's my theory anyway

-Kevin