Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hearne Hardwoods order arrived

I bought 50 bdf of common #1 4/4 cherry from Hearne Hardwoods about a week
ago. It arrived today via UPS, and I'm quite pleased with the contents,
despite my worries to the contrary. The extra $15 to mill one face and one
edge was well worthwhile. It's all straight, flat, and square, ready to run
through the planer and rip to size. The shortest board is 7', the remainder
all 8' long; one 12" wide, another 8+" wide; the remainder 5" to 7". In all,
cutting around the expected defects will yield easily as much as 90%
excellent, furniture size stock, delivered to the door for just a smidge
over $5/bdf. I'd do it again, and just spend the extra for FAS only for the
occasional long, wide boards.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

MikeWhy wrote:
I bought 50 bdf of common #1 4/4 cherry from Hearne Hardwoods about a
week ago. It arrived today via UPS, and I'm quite pleased with the
contents, despite my worries to the contrary. The extra $15 to mill one
face and one edge was well worthwhile. It's all straight, flat, and
square, ready to run through the planer and rip to size. The shortest
board is 7', the remainder all 8' long; one 12" wide, another 8+" wide;
the remainder 5" to 7". In all, cutting around the expected defects will
yield easily as much as 90% excellent, furniture size stock, delivered
to the door for just a smidge over $5/bdf. I'd do it again, and just
spend the extra for FAS only for the occasional long, wide boards.

Out of curiosity, what fraction was shipping (and roughly where/how
far)? I didn't realize UPS shipped stuff that long routinely...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...
MikeWhy wrote:
I bought 50 bdf of common #1 4/4 cherry from Hearne Hardwoods about a
week ago. It arrived today via UPS, and I'm quite pleased with the
contents, despite my worries to the contrary. The extra $15 to mill one
face and one edge was well worthwhile. It's all straight, flat, and
square, ready to run through the planer and rip to size. The shortest
board is 7', the remainder all 8' long; one 12" wide, another 8+" wide;
the remainder 5" to 7". In all, cutting around the expected defects will
yield easily as much as 90% excellent, furniture size stock, delivered to
the door for just a smidge over $5/bdf. I'd do it again, and just spend
the extra for FAS only for the occasional long, wide boards.

Out of curiosity, what fraction was shipping (and roughly where/how far)?
I didn't realize UPS shipped stuff that long routinely...

Their listed price is $2.25/bdf for common 4/4. The UPS pack is $243 for 50
bdf; I opted for $15 extra to mill one face and edge. Pricing is uniform
regardless of location, so I'm helping subsidize shipping for folks in
Southern CA. It works out to about $130 for shipping, just about exactly
half the total cost. It came in 3 packages, 2 were 70 lbs each, one was
under 50 lb.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

MikeWhy wrote:
Their listed price is $2.25/bdf for common 4/4. The UPS pack is $243 for
50 bdf; I opted for $15 extra to mill one face and edge. Pricing is
uniform regardless of location, so I'm helping subsidize shipping for
folks in Southern CA. It works out to about $130 for shipping, just
about exactly half the total cost. It came in 3 packages, 2 were 70 lbs
each, one was under 50 lb.

Thanks...guess I'll just continue to make the 250 mile (one-way) trek
every so often w/ the trailer and load up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote:

Thanks...guess I'll just continue to make the 250 mile (one-way)
trek every so often w/ the trailer and load up.

Since these days you are looking at probably at least $0.50/mile, hope
you buy a lot of wood to cover that 500 mile, $250 trip cost.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"dpb" wrote:

Thanks...guess I'll just continue to make the 250 mile (one-way)
trek every so often w/ the trailer and load up.

Since these days you are looking at probably at least $0.50/mile, hope
you buy a lot of wood to cover that 500 mile, $250 trip cost.

Yeah, typically 3-400 ft of 3-4 species per trip plus whatever specialty
stuff. I try to keep a couple thousand feet on hand so it's when a
needed particular is required I do a general restocking. Hasn't been
too frequent lately, though, I've done very little the last couple years
other than maintenance -- the feedlots and corrals rebuilding project
ended up at _way_ more than I intended both time and bucks...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
Yeah, typically 3-400 ft of 3-4 species per trip plus whatever specialty
stuff. I try to keep a couple thousand feet on hand so it's when a
needed particular is required I do a general restocking. Hasn't been

Considering the amount you get at one time and the length it lasts you,
particularly with the last amount, how do you store it to minimize warping?

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Upscale wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message
Yeah, typically 3-400 ft of 3-4 species per trip plus whatever specialty
stuff. I try to keep a couple thousand feet on hand so it's when a
needed particular is required I do a general restocking. Hasn't been

Considering the amount you get at one time and the length it lasts you,
particularly with the last amount, how do you store it to minimize warping?

It's just stacked and covered in the barn mow. This is a dry climate so
moisture changes aren't much of a problem. There's construction lumber
and siding in the barn that's been there I believe as left over from
when it or the house was built (1914-19) that's still in perfect
condition other than the surface oxidation. I can't bring myself to use
it on but _very_ special purposes as replacing it would be impossible.
(Clear fir and syp 20-ft'ers.)

But, even in TN/VA before I moved it wasn't much issue. Of course, I
was using it up much quicker there for the most part.

SL Hardwoods Arthur2 UK diy 2 October 11th 08 11:40 AM
Finish on Hardwoods Steve Home Repair 2 July 26th 05 09:21 PM
staining hardwoods Mark Woodworking 3 December 29th 04 01:23 PM