Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Info Required on Jet 34L Shaper

I am hoping that someone else has had experience with the electric motor for
this unit. After finally getting all the parts that I needed for a used unit
I picked up, upon start up for a first test run, I discovered a problem with
the lower bearings as well as the enclosed fan for the motor.

The bearing were no problem getting replacements by OEM manufacturer
(upgraded bearings in fact) but the electrical motor had no info plate on
it. WHM sells only a complete motor replacement and manual gives no hint as
to manufacturer. Without some info, I have found it near impossible to
locate the replacement part online. During the week I plan on hitting a
couple of local shops looking for part. Anyone have any idea as to the
manufacturer of the 2 hp motor in thia unit??, if nothing else, for future
reference..

SteveA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Pull it out and take it to any decent motor shop\electric supply
\Grangers and they should be able to tell at a glance. Most likely a
TEFC 56 NEMA frame. If you tell them it is woodworking equipment, they
can look up the typical units used for that application. Jet surely
uses standard stuff and it should be real easy to replace it. New
probably about $250.

On Oct 18, 7:43*pm, "SteveA" wrote:
I am hoping that someone else has had experience with the electric motor for
this unit. After finally getting all the parts that I needed for a used unit
I picked up, upon start up for a first test run, I discovered a problem with
the lower bearings as well as the enclosed fan for the motor.

The bearing were no problem getting replacements by OEM manufacturer
(upgraded bearings in fact) but the electrical motor had no info plate on
it. WHM sells only a complete motor replacement and manual gives no hint as
to manufacturer. Without some info, I have found it near impossible to
locate the replacement part online. During the week I plan on hitting a
couple of local shops looking for part. Anyone have any idea as to the
manufacturer of the 2 hp motor in thia unit??, if nothing else, for future
reference..

SteveA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 18, 7:43 pm, "SteveA" wrote:
[...]

How hard would it be to make an adapter to allow usage of a 56 frame motor
in a shaper which was designed for a special frame?
Jim

Info on SWR amp required Ron(UK) Electronics Repair 9 August 10th 08 02:10 AM
Screed info required Donwill UK diy 3 May 29th 06 09:38 PM
Chuckollet by Hancock Mng info required [email protected] Metalworking 9 February 28th 06 06:03 AM
Does a Grizzly Shaper/Router collet fit a Delta 1/2" shaper? Toller Woodworking 9 November 20th 05 07:49 PM