Kevin B

Default Dowels

Folks,
Pardon my ignorance, but is there a tool I can get that will make small
dowels. Let say 2 to 3 inches long by 1/4 or 3/8 diameter.

Thank you,

Kevin B

Mark Jerde

Kevin B wrote:
Folks,
Pardon my ignorance, but is there a tool I can get that will make
small dowels. Let say 2 to 3 inches long by 1/4 or 3/8 diameter.

BORG dowels & a hand saw. g

One starting point:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=router+jig+dowel

HTH.

-- Mark

SawEyes

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a tool I can get that will make
small
dowels. Let say 2 to 3 inches long by 1/4 or 3/8 diameter.

Sure is. Available at Lee Valley.
http://tinyurl.com/ypqwk

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 5 Reviews:
- Workshop Essentials Under $30
- Festool PS 300 Jigsaws
- Delta Universal Tenoning Jig
- Ryobi Reciprocating Saw
- Infinity Router Bits

Jon Dough

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 03:13:30 +0000, Kevin B wrote:

Folks,
Pardon my ignorance, but is there a tool I can get that will make small
dowels. Let say 2 to 3 inches long by 1/4 or 3/8 diameter.

Thank you,

Kevin B

Make a subbase for your router. Say, about an inch thick (at least in the
center) For a 3/8" dowel drill a hole straight across the center 3/8"
diameter. Enlarge this hole to around 9/16", if my math is correct, half
way across, to the point where the router bit drops down. Use a 1/2 or
3/4 inch straight bit in the router, cut a slot in the center where the
bit drops down for chip clearance. (I wish I could draw a picture...)
The square strips should just fit in the large hole, the turned pieces
should just fit in the small hole when the router is set correctly. Then
you can rip 3/8" x 3/8" square strips on the saw, slide them in the large
hole while the router is on, rotating them as they pass through. You will
have to play with the settings some but this jig will give you accurate
3/8" dowels... same setup could do 1/4" dowels. Minimum length will be
about 7" with a standard router base, they can be cut to length after
turning. The jig works really well with longer pieces, like 36" lengths.

Lew Hodgett

Kevin B writes:

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a tool I can get that will make

small
dowels. Let say 2 to 3 inches long by 1/4 or 3/8 diameter.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but why bother?

You can buy packages of serrated dowels from lots of supply houses at very
modest cost.

It's hardly worth the effort.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

JohnV

I have posted an interesting way to do this with a router and a bullnose bit
in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.. Can't remember the source so if
anyone recognizes it please help me give credit where due. I have also had
instruction at some time on how to do this on a tablesaw with a jig that
consists of two pieces of wood, one with a square hole and the other with a
round. unfortunatley I cant find that literature. Good luck.

John V
"Kevin B" wrote in message
Folks,
Pardon my ignorance, but is there a tool I can get that will make

small
dowels. Let say 2 to 3 inches long by 1/4 or 3/8 diameter.

Thank you,

Kevin B

Sweet Sawdust

Go to machine shop get a piece of 1/2 inch steel plate drill holes for the
size dowel you want in it. Cut wood to approx size but a little large,
chamfer one end to fit in proper hole, hit with hammer, short dowel of
proper size falls out bottom of steel plate.
"Kevin B" wrote in message
Folks,
Pardon my ignorance, but is there a tool I can get that will make

small
dowels. Let say 2 to 3 inches long by 1/4 or 3/8 diameter.

Thank you,

Kevin B

Phisherman

wrote:

Folks,
Pardon my ignorance, but is there a tool I can get that will make small
dowels. Let say 2 to 3 inches long by 1/4 or 3/8 diameter.

Thank you,

Kevin B

Most woodworkers buy dowels. One time I needed walnut dowels and made
them on my router table starting with square stock and using a
round-over bit. I could use my lathe, with the added benefit of easy
sanding.

Frank Shute

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 03:13:30 GMT, Kevin B wrote:

Folks,
Pardon my ignorance, but is there a tool I can get that will make small
dowels. Let say 2 to 3 inches long by 1/4 or 3/8 diameter.

Thank you,

Lie Nielsen make dowel plates in either imperial or metric. I've just
used my metric plate to make some dowels to pin some tenons on a
cabinet I'm making. Made the dowels out of oak.

Aswell as dowels for pinning tenons, I use dowels for breadboard ends
so it was a good investment for me.

Dowels for doweled joints I buy ready made - bashing bits of wood
through a hole in a plate is tedious & best avoided if at all
possible.

The good thing about the dowel plate is that the grain of the wood
lines up along the length of the dowel as it's punched through ie.
it's not severed like doweling you buy. Therefore, it's got a good
deal more strength than dowel that's been cut, although I haven't
tested that empirically.

--

Frank

http://www.freebsd.org/

Silvan

Kevin B wrote:

Folks,
Pardon my ignorance, but is there a tool I can get that will make
small
dowels. Let say 2 to 3 inches long by 1/4 or 3/8 diameter.

Sure. Get a wood lathe.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Dave Balderstone

In article OxNMb.76822$X%5.13802@pd7tw2no, JohnV
wrote:

I have posted an interesting way to do this with a router and a bullnose bit
in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.. Can't remember the source so if
anyone recognizes it please help me give credit where due.

It looks a lot like the demo I saw on The Router Workshop last spring.
They were making oak dowel for a towel rack IIRC.

djb

--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Wooden dowels Chris UK diy 2 April 17th 04 03:41 PM
Help salvage this mess... Silvan Woodworking 26 November 19th 03 05:00 PM
face frame...dowels or Kreg jig? Ted Woodworking 35 October 24th 03 10:59 PM
Help, please? Need blunt "points" on dowels Larry Jaques Woodworking 13 September 29th 03 06:33 AM