Posted to rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

Default Chipboard Repair

I'm trying to repair a wall unit that was damaged during transport.
Basically a harsh stop forced the door to drop and the sudden drop
smashed the hinges and tore out some other supports. Trying to
reattach the door I've discovered that the wood will no longer
accepted new screws, the old ones being lost in the truck. Like I said
this is because the screws were torn from the chipboard under force!
I'm trying to figure out ways that I can make possible repairs to the
chipboard that would allow the screws to be recieved and the weight of
the door to be accepted again by the supports. The unit in question is
a bar unit and the door acts as an area to pour drinks. The inside of
the door had a mirrored sheet of glass (yet to be replaced).

Still looking for the hinges too! Who'd have thought they'd be a
nuisance to find!!

Before anyone suggests replacing the unit or the door, the unit is
part of a set of units and any replacements would be out of place. A
new unit is impossible because it was built late 70's/ early 80's. It
came from my parents and I rather like the thing!

Many Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

I don't totally understand the damage from the description. In a
typical stripped out screw hole we will take a bundle of toothpicks or
something like that, glom them with wood glue and tap them into the
hole. Let dry, trim flush, screw away.

On Sep 24, 4:55*pm, TrailRat wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:55:22 -0700 (PDT), TrailRat
wrote:

[...]

Particleboard and chipboard don't hold screws very well, but I've
found that a piano hinge holds just fine. I guess it is the number
of screws that does the trick.
Posted to rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

"TrailRat" wrote in message
[...]

A pencil sharpener will put a cone on a small dowel. Cut the cone off and
glue it in the old screw hole. After trimming the cone flush, drill a pilot
hole and insert the new screw. You can also whittle the cones, but a pencil
sharpener is quicker.

Posted to rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y
CC CC is offline

"TrailRat" wrote in message
[...]

If you have a largish area of tear out, you can fill with enough
sawdust and glue to
make a thick mixture and fill, let dry day or so, then sand, color the
repair with
a wax stick to match, then redrill
You could also fill with a reddish tinted bondo, (a little more
hardener in the mix) and redrill
If just a small tear out of the hole, then fill with a piece of glued
in dowel and redrill
with a good brad point bit. Better yet, drill with a hinge centering
bit which will prevent
the hole from getting off center in the hinge plate,
CC

Posted to rec.woodworking

TrailRat wrote:

I'm trying to repair a wall unit that was damaged during transport.

Time for "snot" AKA: Epoxy thickened with microballoons.

Aggressively remove all damaged areas with 60 grit right angle sander.

Drill out all screw holes with a 3/4 dia bit.

Think of yourself as a dentist removing tooth decay before filling.

Once all damaged material has been removed, mix up some laminating
epoxy thickened with epoxy to the consistency of stiff snot and putty
all damaged areas proud.

Lay unit on side and tape underside of holes to trap snot in 3/4
holes.

Allow to cure 48 hours, then sand repair flush and drill hinge holes
as required.

When unit has returned to compost, epoxy patch will still be there,

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

[...]

Car body filler works 100% for this. I have repaired old cupboards with
hinges torn out time and again.
Posted to rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 12:55*am, TrailRat wrote:
[...]

Ordinary woodfillers are much too weak for this, go with car body
filler.

The recessed hinges should be available at any BM or diy shed. There
are 2 sizes, and a few different opening patterns. Or you might have
sprung surface hinges - who knows.

NT
Posted to rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

TrailRat wrote:
I'm trying to repair a wall unit that was damaged during transport.
Basically a harsh stop forced the door to drop and the sudden drop
smashed the hinges and tore out some other supports.

What sort of hinges & where is the damage in relation to them? Picky?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

On 25 Sep, 08:13, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
TrailRat wrote:
I'm trying to repair a wall unit that was damaged during transport.
Basically a harsh stop forced the door to drop and the sudden drop
smashed the hinges and tore out some other supports.

What sort of hinges & where is the damage in relation to them? *Picky?

The hinges are a flush fitting flap hinges. They look like a number 8.
The damage to the wood isn't there though. The hinges themselves
smashed at the pin which makes them unusable now. Part metal, part
plastic these things were!! The damage to the wood is where the fall
flap stays were attached. The actual stays weren't damaged, just the
locations where they were mounted.

Posted to rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

"TrailRat" wrote in message

Before anyone suggests replacing the unit or the door, the unit is
part of a set of units and any replacements would be out of place. A
new unit is impossible because it was built late 70's/ early 80's. It
came from my parents and I rather like the thing!

Many Thanks

A pic wuld be nice,we can all mae assumptions how to repair it but some
types of repair are not fiting for the job.

Posted to rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"TrailRat" wrote in message
Before anyone suggests replacing the unit or the door, the unit is
part of a set of units and any replacements would be out of place. A
new unit is impossible because it was built late 70's/ early 80's. It
came from my parents and I rather like the thing!

Many Thanks

A pic wuld be nice,we can all mae assumptions how to repair it but some
types of repair are not fiting for the job.

Car body filler every time.
Posted to rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

On 25 Sep, 10:13, "George" wrote:

A pic wuld be nice,we can all mae assumptions how to repair it but some
types of repair are not fiting for the job.

The Hinges - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t/P9251022.jpg

The Damage - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t/P9251026.jpg

And the unit - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t/P9251029.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

TrailRat wrote:
[...]

You might find a suitable replacement hinge he

http://www.blum.com/gb/en/index.php

Note: Their catalogues are the big PDF documents and have *lots* of
hinges and detail in them - including fixing positions, screw sizes, etc.

If so, you (probably) can get them from:

http://www.isaaclord.co.uk/

even if it needs a special order.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

"TrailRat" wrote in message
On 25 Sep, 10:13, "George" wrote:

A pic wuld be nice,we can all mae assumptions how to repair it but some
types of repair are not fiting for the job.

The Hinges - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t/P9251022.jpg

The Damage - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t/P9251026.jpg

And the unit -
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t/P9251029.jpg

I would just have moved the hinges a couple of inches further along. And
tidied up the damage with filler.

--
Bartc

Posted to rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 10:38*am, TrailRat wrote:
On 25 Sep, 10:13, "George" wrote:

A pic wuld be nice,we can all mae assumptions how to repair it but some
types of repair are not fiting for the job.

The Damage -http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/TrailRat/P9251026.jpg

With damage that small you could just araldite a bit of dowel in
there, no need to go out and get anything.

NT

Chipboard Repair TrailRat UK diy 14 September 25th 08 07:39 PM
Saw for chipboard floors etc.? oh UK diy 28 April 7th 08 10:15 PM
sealing chipboard Mark UK diy 2 December 10th 06 11:48 AM
cutting chipboard [email protected] UK diy 12 April 17th 05 11:29 AM
chipboard flooring neil leslie UK diy 3 January 4th 05 09:24 PM