Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Getting Cedar or Redcedar from lumber mill

I noticed that when I was last in the lumber yard they were offering Cedar.
So I'm thinking, is that Cedar, or Western Redcedar? Then I also started
wondering if there was any functional difference between the two. I
understand that Cedar is type of tree, and Western Redcedar isn't even a
cedar, but a cyprus. But all that aside, both are aromatic and it is my
understanding that both can accomplish the same goal (moth prevention and
rot resistance). So I'm wondering, is it cedar, or Thuja plicata (redcedar)
or does it even matter? I've always assumed it was Redcedar, that's the
stuff that grows all over where I live.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I noticed that when I was last in the lumber yard they were offering Cedar.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eigenvector wrote:
I noticed that when I was last in the lumber yard they were offering
Cedar. So I'm thinking, is that Cedar, or Western Redcedar? Then I
also started wondering if there was any functional difference between
the two. I understand that Cedar is type of tree, and Western
Redcedar isn't even a cedar, but a cyprus. But all that aside, both
are aromatic and it is my understanding that both can accomplish the
same goal (moth prevention and rot resistance). So I'm wondering, is
it cedar, or Thuja plicata (redcedar) or does it even matter? I've
always assumed it was Redcedar, that's the stuff that grows all over
where I live.

You want eastern red cedar - Juniperus virginiana - for moths. Western red
cedar's forte is weather/rot resistance, no idea how eastern red cedar is in
that department but it shouldn'r matter if you are looking for the aromatic
quality. Also, Cyprus is a country, cypress is a tree.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eigenvector wrote:
I noticed that when I was last in the lumber yard they were offering
Cedar. So I'm thinking, is that Cedar, or Western Redcedar? Then I
also started wondering if there was any functional difference
between
the two. I understand that Cedar is type of tree, and Western
Redcedar isn't even a cedar, but a cyprus. But all that aside, both
are aromatic and it is my understanding that both can accomplish the
same goal (moth prevention and rot resistance). So I'm wondering,
is
it cedar, or Thuja plicata (redcedar) or does it even matter? I've
always assumed it was Redcedar, that's the stuff that grows all over
where I live.

"Cedar" can be just about anything. If you're looking for the
moth-repelling stuff it's generally called "aromatic red cedar" and
has a distinctive appearance with dark, reddish heartwood and light
sapwood and a distinct aroma. In a "big box" store it may be sold in
bundles as "closet lining". While white cedar is decay resistant I've
never seen a claim of moth repellancy for it.

The only way someone here can tell you which is in stock in the yard
in question is if you tell us the name and location of the yard and
someone just by chance happens to be familiar with their stock.

Your best bet is to call the yard and ask what species their cedar is.
If that fails, and if you can't tell whether it's what you want by
looking at it, then you need to get Hoadley's wood identification book
and a microscope and go to work.

Incidentally, "Western Redcedar" is an arborvitae, "Eastern White
Cedar" is a cypress, "Eastern Red Cedar" is a juniper, and "Spanish
Cedar" is related to mahogany. The true cedars are native to the Old
World and are seldom seen in the US.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Better not tell that to the Greeks (or the Turks)! But based on yours and
the other two answers (which I appreciate) it sounds like there is some
confusion here. The logs at the yard were marked simply 'Cedar', so based
on the color it would appear they were Western Redcedar, not eastern
redcedar or true cedar. That's fine, I'm okay with using western redcedar
for the project. It just seemed to me like an area that a lot of people
buying lumber don't realize might make a difference.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Eigenvector" wrote:

That's fine, I'm okay with using western redcedar for the project.

You need to verify if this stuff is really western red cedar.

If so, adequate breathing protection, while you work, is a must.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 17, 10:16*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Eigenvector" wrote:
That's fine, I'm okay with using western redcedar for the project.

You need to verify if this stuff is really western red cedar.

If so, adequate breathing protection, while you work, *is a must.

Lew

As one who has managed to develop COPD, I can tell you that adequate
breathing protection is a frigging MUST even if you're using pine or
oak or maple. It may be marginally moreimportant with some woods, but
it is important all the time. Good dust collection. A good mask. Then,
when you get to my age, good lungs (assuming you're not as stupid as I
was while smoking heavily for 35 years, too---been off the butts for
about 20 years, and wish I'd never started).