Angelo Castellano posting

Default hearing loss

There has been some talk of hearing protection and such. But sometimes the
effects are overlooked.

I have been working at a reno this week and a crew of 2 hardwood floor
installers showed up to install parkay flooring ( glue down ).

They worked with a small table saw ( no guard ) and no hearing protection. One
even was wearing a ring all day.

One of the installers was in his early 30 and both had the radio playing LOUD.
But to them it wasn't loud at all. And you had to speak loudly to have a
converstion with them.

Wear your protective gear and take safety precautions seriously.

: "The only person sure of himself is the man who wishes to
: leave things as they are, and he dreams of an impossibility"
: -- George M. Wrong.
:
: Angelo Castellano emails - statsone@sympatico dot gov
: gov to be replaced with ca
: www.reliable-quality.com

Jon Dough

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:05:56 -0500, Angelo Castellano posting
wrote:

Wear your protective gear and take safety precautions seriously.

Huh?????
I wish someone had told me that 35 years ago!
Doug Miller

In article , "Angelo Castellano posting" wrote:
[snip]
They worked with a small table saw ( no guard ) and no hearing protection. One
even was wearing a ring all day.

serious
What's the big deal about wearing a ring? If you get your hand so close to a
moving part that you're in danger of snagging your ring on it, you have your
hand too damn close to it anyway, ring or not.
/serious

tongue-in-cheek
What else am I gonna do with my wedding ring, anway? Put it on a chain around
my neck? I don't think so.

Put it in my pocket? And lose it? Then try to explain that to SWMBO? That's an
even _greater_ hazard than putting it around my neck. :-)

Leave it on the dresser? Then try to explain to SWMBO's _parents_ why I'm not
wearing my ring anymore? Or her brother? Yeah, right.

I'll take my chances with the machinery, thank you very much.
/tongue-in-cheek

Angelo Castellano posting

Doug Miller

In article , "Angelo Castellano posting" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Angelo Castellano wrote:
[snip]
They worked with a small table saw ( no guard ) and no hearing protection.
One even was wearing a ring all day.

serious
What's the big deal about wearing a ring? If you get your hand so close to a
moving part that you're in danger of snagging your ring on it, you have your
hand too damn close to it anyway, ring or not.

This goes back to my high school days with a warning, and shop rule, about
wearing jewellery in the shop. Seems my teacher had seen an operator try to
slow down a drill press or milling machine with his hand. The ring was caught
and tore the ring off.

The problem wasn't the ring...

The operator didn't even know he lost a finger until it was seen on the
floor.

... the problem was that the machine was being operated by an idiot. Your shop
teacher learned -- and taught -- the wrong lesson from this incident. Instead
of "Don't operate machinery while wearing a ring" the proper lesson is "Don't
operate machinery if you're stupid."

As for a table saw, you are probably right. But why
take the chance?

*What* chance? That's my point: your fingers should never be so close to any
moving part that a ring makes a difference. If I could get a ring caught on
something moving, my finger is *already* in danger because it's too close.

As for SWMBO, explain.

SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed, i.e. wife.

Silvan

Angelo Castellano posting wrote:

slow down a drill press or milling machine with his hand. The ring was
caught
and tore the ring off. The operator didn't even know he lost a finger

That's why I don't try to stop moving machinery with my left hand.

Being aware of the ring and actively working to protect it from harm is IMHO
sufficient to avoid catching it on anything. I don't want to get it
scraped up. It belonged to my great grandfather.

Good argument for taking it off, granted, but I always lose track of it when
I do. It and a watch are the only jewlry I ever need.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Mark Jerde

Doug Miller wrote:

serious
What's the big deal about wearing a ring? If you get your hand so
close to a
moving part that you're in danger of snagging your ring on it, you
have your
hand too damn close to it anyway, ring or not.

This goes back to my high school days with a warning, and shop rule,
about
wearing jewellery in the shop. Seems my teacher had seen an
operator try to
slow down a drill press or milling machine with his hand. The ring
was caught
and tore the ring off.

The problem wasn't the ring...

Fine, exercise your right to ignore lessons of others. I don't wear my ring
while doing any kind of manual labor. I've had rings catch on stuff.
Something on the ranch went wrong and even through leather gloves my finger
was bleeding 360 degrees.

My dad doesn't wear his when doing manual labor either. When he was a young
he jumped out of a hayrack. The ring caught on a nail. If the hayrack had
been a couple inches taller he would have lost the finger.

I put these all in the same category: "Use your TS guard." "Use push
sticks." "Take off your rings in the shop."

-- Mark

Lazarus Long

Hearing is not only lost to loud noise exposure, but to illness.
That's were a part of mine went.

Sitting in front of some Marshall stacks at concerts in younger days
didn't help.

As for the power tools, yikes! The planer, router, vac, TS, jointer,
well the list can go on......

Today, it's hearing protect or no tool use. No concerts anymore since
the people I'd go to see are either dead or no longer perform. Not to
mention I'm not interested in music that loud. And illness, well,
that's strictly chance.

posting" wrote:

[...]

Mark Jerde

Mark wrote:

irritating as hell. I know exactly where this one is (inside the
safe). I wear it only at weddings and job interviews.

I wear mine on business trips to help remind me... g

-- Mark

Mark

Mark Jerde wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

The problem wasn't the ring...

Fine, exercise your right to ignore lessons of others.

No, he's making excuses so when his finger gets ripped off he can call
it an accident.

We've been married 12 years. I don't wear a ring and if I wear a watch
it has a rubber band.

I told wife before we were married I wouldn't wear a ring, I was around
too many things at home and work and it would be a hazard. She got me a
small band for the ceremony. I would wear it on occasion. Found myself
wearing it one day at work, figured all I was going was pulling wrenches
so I left it on. When I got home I went to take it off and couldn't,
found it was ovaled. Took it off and haven't seen it in years. We
figured I lost it.

Got another ring, this time a 'comfort fit'. It's a big fat band and
irritating as hell. I know exactly where this one is (inside the safe).
I wear it only at weddings and job interviews.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Angelo Castellano posting

CP

Every commercial endeavor that falls under the control of OSHA has similar
safety requirements to protect people's hands and other parts of the body.
It amazes me that the guys who fall outside the realm of OSHA often don't
take any safety precautions at all. I think they're crazy. Because of OSHA
the company I work for has various workgroups of 50 to 200 people who have
worked for years with no recordable OSHA injuries. Not permitting finger
rings is part of the protection scheme.

Chris

"Angelo Castellano posting" wrote in message
.. .

Silvan

Angelo Castellano posting wrote:

situation about shop safety. My ring is too big and haven't worn it in
years. I'll resize it someday.

Wow. Wish I had problems like that. I had mine resized, resized, then had
to get a new one. Because it kept getting too small. I didn't realize
gold would shrink like that, but that *must* be why it kept getting tighter
and tighter.

My college ring is very tight, and my high school ring is the tighest of
them all.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Reyd Dorakeen

guess he should have work a better fitting ring(I still cant see how it
would catch, unless he tried really hard and jammed the thin edge of the
ring in the teeth that you use to tighten which i have skinned a knuckle
nicely on trying to slow down)

in article , Angelo Castellano

Reyd Dorakeen

put your ring on a toe while your in the shop, your wearing, its hard to
lose, and unless your wearing sandals by the time its a problem your foot is
hurting anyways

in article ValMb.72526$Fg.20772@lakeread01, CP at wrote on
1/11/04 3:46 PM:

Every commercial endeavor that falls under the control of OSHA has similar
safety requirements to protect people's hands and other parts of the body.
It amazes me that the guys who fall outside the realm of OSHA often don't
take any safety precautions at all. I think they're crazy. Because of OSHA
the company I work for has various workgroups of 50 to 200 people who have
worked for years with no recordable OSHA injuries. Not permitting finger
rings is part of the protection scheme.

Chris

"Angelo Castellano posting" wrote in message
.. .

Jim K

"As good as a 20-year-old" really doesn't mean anything. When I was 20
I already had tinnitus.

What gets me are those kids cruising with 300+ amps pushing out bass
in the confines of a shut up car. You know the ones -- the ones you
can hear over your running table saw when they drive by. Can you
imagine their hearing when they start griping about their kids' bad
habits??

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:10:43 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I heard about wearing rings and hazards. Some shops just don't allow
them. I'm 49 and had my hearing tested. I was surprised to hear my
hearing is as good as a 20-year-old. I do wear earmuffs in the shop
(some of the time) and when mowing the lawn. It would be nice if my
eyes were as good as my ears. I use a jeweler's loupe to remove
splinters.

Charlie Self

Jim K writes:

"As good as a 20-year-old" really doesn't mean anything. When I was 20
I already had tinnitus.

Mine started the year before I was 20.

What gets me are those kids cruising with 300+ amps pushing out bass
in the confines of a shut up car. You know the ones -- the ones you
can hear over your running table saw when they drive by. Can you
imagine their hearing when they start griping about their kids' bad
habits??

I don't get upset out of consideration for the little turds who drive those
things. But my youngest did tell me some time ago that a lot of them drive with
ear plugs in.

Makes sense to them, I guess. I've got a small subwoofer on this computer that
I hardly ever use. It is louder downstairs, thgouh the floor, than it is here,
3' away. Not an essential ingredient. I'd probably never use it if I hadn't
paid extra for it for some reason I no longer recall.

Charlie Self
If God had wanted me to touch my toes he would have put them higher on my body.

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Mark

Charlie Self wrote:

Jim K writes:

"As good as a 20-year-old" really doesn't mean anything. When I was 20
I already had tinnitus.

Mine started the year before I was 20.

I've had tinnitus so long I don't remember not having it.
Probably my late teens or early twenties. It's just gotten
much worse lately.

Does the sound of your own voice make your ears ring?
Sometimes mine does.

Bought a set of Leight muffs last week. 31 dB noise
reduction. Though I have a box of plugs here I find it
inconvenient when I may run a machine once or twice an hour.
Plugs in, plugs out, plugs in ..... irritates the hell out
of my ears.

Plus the muff keeps my ears nice and warm when it gets below
freezing.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart.
(S. Clemens, A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure
ends the suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Nancy A. Kroes

Default wearing a ring in the shop (was hearing loss)

In article , "Angelo Castellano wrote:
[snip]
They worked with a small table saw ( no guard ) and no hearing protection.
One even was wearing a ring all day.

serious
What's the big deal about wearing a ring? If you get your hand so close to a
moving part that you're in danger of snagging your ring on it, you have your
hand too damn close to it anyway, ring or not.

As for a table saw, you are probably right. But why
take the chance?

*What* chance? That's my point: your fingers should never be so close to any
moving part that a ring makes a difference. If I could get a ring caught on
something moving, my finger is *already* in danger because it's too close.

I had a kickback in the shop while wearing a ring. It smashed my fingers,
including the ring, which it smashed flat on my finger.
My finger immediately started swelling and turned black and I could not get
the ring off. I had to try to hit it with a hammer to some semblance of
roundness and then use soap to get it off. Wasn't an easy thing to do
when it felt like my whole hand was smashed. Believe me, I no longer wear
a ring in the shop!
Mark Jerde

Doug Miller wrote:

My finger immediately started swelling and turned black and I could
not get the ring off. I had to try to hit it with a hammer to some
semblance of roundness and then use soap to get it off. Wasn't an
easy thing to do
when it felt like my whole hand was smashed. Believe me, I no longer
wear a ring in the shop!

IMO, not wearing a ring is the wrong lesson to take out of this
experience. The right lessons to take out of it would be to take
steps to prevent kickback, and ensure that all of your body parts are
well out of the way should one occur.

Incredible. Doubtless you also believe

- Woodturners who dropped a gouge that stuck in their foot because they
were wearing sandles shouldn't wear boots, they should just be more careful
to avoid lathe catches.

- Woodworkers who trip on electric cords on the floor should just walk
more carefully, not take actions to remove the hazard. (I have 3 extension
cords running along the ceiling of my shop because I got tired of the
tripping hazard -- do you think I should take them down & just be "more
careful"?)

People have posted here, "Something bad happened while I was working with my
hands. The injury was *worse* because of a circle of metal on my finger.
I'm not wearing rings in the shop anymore." Seems reasonable to me. It's a
personally-proven technique of reducing the chance of injury.

-- Mark

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...
While it is great advice to keep one's hands
out of any situation where a ring might get grabbed,
it is not always possible. Accidents happen. So...
my rule is "no jewelry in the shop".
But then...I got out of the habit of wearing
rings some years ago when I was more heavily involved
in working on electronics and cars. It is just not
a happy thing to stick one's hand into a piece of
equipment and have a ring short something out.
At best, it dings the equipment...at worst, it
tries to weld the ring to the frame...which is NOT
a pleasant experience.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Randy Chapman

That's why I don't try to stop moving machinery with my left hand.

Being aware of the ring and actively working to protect it from harm is

IMHO
sufficient to avoid catching it on anything. I don't want to get it
scraped up. It belonged to my great grandfather.

Good argument for taking it off, granted, but I always lose track of it

when
I do. It and a watch are the only jewlry I ever need.

Same here (well, except that the ring doesn't have that much sentimental
value). I always take my ring off, pop it onto my watch band, re-do the
watch band, and put the pair of them on top of the microwave in the kitchen
(right on the path to the gara^H^H^H^Hshop). Same thing I do in the shower,
at night, and any other time I don't want to wear them (excepting that they
might be on the headboard or sink, instead). Keeping a pattern -- and
attaching the ring to something else! -- prevents it's loss.

--randy

Doug Miller

In article , "Mark Jerde" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

My finger immediately started swelling and turned black and I could
not get the ring off. I had to try to hit it with a hammer to some
semblance of roundness and then use soap to get it off. Wasn't an
easy thing to do
when it felt like my whole hand was smashed. Believe me, I no longer
wear a ring in the shop!

IMO, not wearing a ring is the wrong lesson to take out of this
experience. The right lessons to take out of it would be to take
steps to prevent kickback, and ensure that all of your body parts are
well out of the way should one occur.

Incredible. Doubtless you also believe

- Woodturners who dropped a gouge that stuck in their foot because they
were wearing sandles shouldn't wear boots, they should just be more careful
to avoid lathe catches.

Nope. I believe that anybody who wears sandals in a woodshop isn't too bright.
There are just too many things that can land on your toes. Wearing shoes is
just one of those things that falls into the category of "reasonable
precautions", along with using a splitter and push sticks on a TS, and keeping
your various body parts out of the line of fire.

- Woodworkers who trip on electric cords on the floor should just walk
more carefully, not take actions to remove the hazard. (I have 3 extension
cords running along the ceiling of my shop because I got tired of the
tripping hazard -- do you think I should take them down & just be "more
careful"?)

You really should pay a bit more attention to posts before you respond to
them. I never advocated leaving obvious safety hazards in place, and for you
to conclude that I would, is quite a stretch of the imagination.

People have posted here, "Something bad happened while I was working with my
hands. The injury was *worse* because of a circle of metal on my finger.
I'm not wearing rings in the shop anymore." Seems reasonable to me. It's a
personally-proven technique of reducing the chance of injury.

Keeping your hands away from things that can hurt them is also a proven
technique, and IMO a better one, of reducing the chance of injury.

Lawrence Wasserman

I have seen 2 accidents involving rings. One involved a drill press; I
don't know exactly what the guy did, but the ring was cracked (making
a 'C' shape instead of an 'O') and the two ends thus created had
punctured the wearer's fingers. One of the older and calmer guys
in the shop grabbed 2 pairs of pliers and pulled the ring open
to remove it from the finger.

The other time, an automotive mechanic accidentally let his wedding
band complete a 12 volt circuit. That was around 15 years ago and he
still has a circular scar around his ring finger.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Mark Jerde

Doug Miller wrote:

You really should pay a bit more attention to posts before you
respond to
them. I never advocated leaving obvious safety hazards in place, and
for you
to conclude that I would, is quite a stretch of the imagination.

Not trying to pick a fight, or insult, or engage in a long subthread. g

IME wearing a ring in the shop *is* a safety hazard. If you don't agree,
fine. I hope you never have to wish you had not had it on. It's really
un-fun getting a ring off when the skin is no longer continuous under it.

-- Mark

Steve Turner

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Mark Jerde" wrote:

Keeping your hands away from things that can hurt them is also a proven
technique, and IMO a better one, of reducing the chance of injury.

And what will you do when you find yourself in a situation where you'd LIKE
NOTHING MORE than to keep your hands away from harm's way, but an unfortunate
circumstance and a powerful machine have different ideas? Haven't you read the
stories about limbs getting dragged into hungry machines because something got
hooked onto a ring or a watch or a piece of loose clothing? Wearing jewelry
around any kind of machinery is just dumb, no matter how "careful" you are.
Picture having a stout splinter of wood catch under your ring while feeding a
board into the planer. A contrived example perhaps, but you never know what
kind of **** is going to happen. Better safe than sorry.

--
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.

Jerry Gilreath

I've had my wedding band on for so long, I couldn't even get it off if I had
to. I always wondered why my finger is black and blue!

--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Homer Simpson
"Lawrence Wasserman" wrote in message
I have seen 2 accidents involving rings. One involved a drill press; I
don't know exactly what the guy did, but the ring was cracked (making
a 'C' shape instead of an 'O') and the two ends thus created had
punctured the wearer's fingers. One of the older and calmer guys
in the shop grabbed 2 pairs of pliers and pulled the ring open
to remove it from the finger.

The other time, an automotive mechanic accidentally let his wedding
band complete a 12 volt circuit. That was around 15 years ago and he
still has a circular scar around his ring finger.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Ian Wheeler

One of the first lessons drilled into my head when I started work (early
70's) by our instructor was about safety (and so it should be). No rings,
no loose clothes, no long hair. These came before safety glasses and safety
shoes................

Rings are inherently dangerous - it's all to easy to catch a ring when you
least expect it. I've heard all the arguments that your finger shouldn't be
near the blades / drills etc., but the consequences of a minor mishap are
too high - rings can rip a finger off.

Don't get me started about those videos of long hair in a drill press -
makes you want to run out and get one of those geeky hair nets.

Play safe - don't argue it shouldn't happen - no accident should happen, ne
careful - no rings, no loose clothes, not loose long hair and use eye
protection.

Ian.

"Nancy A. Kroes" wrote in message

[...]

Tim Carver

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:38:06 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
wrote:

- Woodworkers who trip on electric cords on the floor should just walk
more carefully, not take actions to remove the hazard. (I have 3 extension
cords running along the ceiling of my shop because I got tired of the
tripping hazard -- do you think I should take them down & just be "more
careful"?)

Note that tacking extension cords along your ceiling is a big safety
no-no according to the electrical codes. Now is it really a problem?
Well, it's probably safer than having them on the floor, but
the right thing to do is to have permanent wiring sufficient that you
don't need extension cords.

I'll bet you that the fire marshal would give you a lecture about
those extension cords on your ceiling that sounds an awful lot like
the way you are lecturing everybody about wearing a ring around a saw.
Is it a big deal? No, but wearing a ring around a saw isn't that big
a deal, either. There are situations in the shop where a ring could
be dangerous, just as your cords could be dangerous if they are
overloaded. But neither the ring nor the cords wiil lead to disaster
if some care and common sense are exercised.

Tim Carver

Mark Jerde

Tim Carver wrote:

I'll bet you that the fire marshal would give you a lecture about
those extension cords on your ceiling that sounds an awful lot like
the way you are lecturing everybody about wearing a ring around a saw.
Is it a big deal? No, but wearing a ring around a saw isn't that big
a deal, either. There are situations in the shop where a ring could
be dangerous, just as your cords could be dangerous if they are
overloaded. But neither the ring nor the cords wiil lead to disaster
if some care and common sense are exercised.

g Sorry, my practical experience is different. The extension cords on
the ceiling reduce a tripping hazard that existed when I ran them on the
floor Ideally, of course, I'd have outlets wherever needed. But the panel
and subpanel are maxed out. When I rewire the house I have to get a bigger
cable from the power company.

your cords could be dangerous if they are
overloaded.

Power in this house is a bummer. I have the extension cords (heavy, rated
gage) to avoid problems. The utility room with its washer is on a separate
15A circuit. I unplug the washer and plug my TS into that circuit. I can't
run the TS and shop vac on the gara^H^H^H^Hshop circuits and do any heavy
cutting or the 15A breaker trips. Sometimes I "steal" power from one wall
of the kitchen, which is also on its own circuit.

wearing a ring around a saw isn't that big
a deal, either. There are situations in the shop where a ring could
be dangerous

IMO the ring is an ever-present hazard, like wearing floppy clothing in the
shop. 25+/- years ago my ring finger was dripping blood from an accident
that (IIRC) could not have been forseen or prevented. The rest of my hand
was sore but not bleeding. Chalk the accident up to random quantum
fluxations. g

Perhaps I'm more "attached" to my fingers than others. I'm a piano player
and 75+ WPM typist. I'd rather lose a leg (I think) than a finger.

-- Mark

Mark Jerde

P.S.

Perhaps I'm more "attached" to my fingers than others. I'm a piano
player and 75+ WPM typist. I'd rather lose a leg (I think) than a
finger.

The overwhelming majority of my income the past 20 years has come from my
ability to type computer programs and documentation. I really want/need to
keep all 10 fingers!

-- Mark

Mark Jerde

Tim Carver wrote:

Note that tacking extension cords along your ceiling is a big safety
no-no according to the electrical codes. Now is it really a problem?
Well, it's probably safer than having them on the floor, but
the right thing to do is to have permanent wiring sufficient that you
don't need extension cords.

Like others have written, the power cord that came with my Grizzly
contractor saw is barely long enough to touch the floor. Likewise, my two
electric drills have laughably short cords. Only the Sears shop vac, the DW
router and PC router have long enough cords to be reasonably expected to
plug into a wall socket and not require the use of an extension cord.

-- Mark

Upscale

Why did you not just snip or cut one section of the ring and widen it to get
it off? I can't remember why it happened, but I remember crushing my ring
one day. Used a pair of tin snips to cut the thin part, spread it and had it
off easily. It was fairly cheap (e.g. $15) to have it repaired at the
jewellers.

I had a kickback in the shop while wearing a ring. It smashed my fingers,
including the ring, which it smashed flat on my finger.
My finger immediately started swelling and turned black and I could not

get
the ring off. I had to try to hit it with a hammer to some semblance of
roundness and then use soap to get it off. Wasn't an easy thing to do

Charlie Self

Mark Jerde writes:

Tim Carver wrote:

Note that tacking extension cords along your ceiling is a big safety
no-no according to the electrical codes. Now is it really a problem?
Well, it's probably safer than having them on the floor, but
the right thing to do is to have permanent wiring sufficient that you
don't need extension cords.

Like others have written, the power cord that came with my Grizzly
contractor saw is barely long enough to touch the floor. Likewise, my two
electric drills have laughably short cords. Only the Sears shop vac, the DW
router and PC router have long enough cords to be reasonably expected to
plug into a wall socket and not require the use of an extension cord.

My table saw placement would require floor outlets or overhead outlets. I do
not like floor outlets for anything in a woodshop and I don't like overhead
outlets because they create another problem with materials catching on the
hanging cables. Ergo, a 12' extension cord to my Unisaw works. I use extension
cords on the floor from time to time, but try to remember toremove and recoil
them as needed. I've got a total of more than 40 outlets in my shop, but there
always seems to be a tool placed where some kind of extra cord length is
needed. That's often because the manufacturer builds the tool to a bean
counter's list and cuts 2-3 feet off the cord to save 15 cents or so.

Charlie Self
"Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves."
Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html