Bob Bowles

Default wearing a ring in the shop (was hearing loss)

An ER doc had a photo on his site a few years ago of a left hand that
got hit by a slab of wood that ended up with fusing of the joints of a
couple of the fingers, one wearing a ring. It is taped to the front
of my saw near the switch.

What was your hand doing in the way of a kickback, in the line of fire so to
speak?

Dukester

Default Surfing & rings (was wearing a ring in the shop (was hearing loss))

(Slightly OT)

I had my wedding band on a total of 1 day on our honeymoon when I went
surfing and a wave made it slip right off into the water. (And please,
let's not go into whether surfing is foolhardy or not again on this
group!) I dove under and barely managed to grab it for a second
before it slipped out of my hand, lost forever. The 2nd band my wife
bought lasted about another week before it came off when surfing
again. Were these rings trying to tell me something? In any case,
while she forgave both incidents and bought a 3rd ring, I have to this
day to wear it in the water, the shop, or anywhere else! This,
however, she does not like!

Cheers!
Duke

(Nancy A. Kroes) wrote in message news:Y09Z9tkYeU4+@winnie...
In article , "Angelo Castellano wrote:
[snip]
They worked with a small table saw ( no guard ) and no hearing protection.
One even was wearing a ring all day.

serious
What's the big deal about wearing a ring? If you get your hand so close to a
moving part that you're in danger of snagging your ring on it, you have your
hand too damn close to it anyway, ring or not.

As for a table saw, you are probably right. But why
take the chance?

*What* chance? That's my point: your fingers should never be so close to any
moving part that a ring makes a difference. If I could get a ring caught on
something moving, my finger is *already* in danger because it's too close.

I had a kickback in the shop while wearing a ring. It smashed my fingers,
including the ring, which it smashed flat on my finger.
My finger immediately started swelling and turned black and I could not get
the ring off. I had to try to hit it with a hammer to some semblance of
roundness and then use soap to get it off. Wasn't an easy thing to do
when it felt like my whole hand was smashed. Believe me, I no longer wear
a ring in the shop!

Geoff

I had a scary moment with my wedding ring on the back deck a few weeks
ago. I was working with MDF and I knew I was wearing the expensive,
titanium wedding ring when I started. Then 6 hours later, I wasn't
married anymore! I don't have shop yet and so I work on the back
deck. I swept every dustpile carefully, I crawled underneath the deck
in the mud, and an hour later it was lost. I am still a newlywed and
my wife was none too pleased. The MDF dust acted like talc and off
slipped the ring.

The great thing is I found it 2 days later when I went out at night
with a good flashlight and searched the herb garden next to the end of
the deck. There it shone, ready to wear.

I don't do that anymore, needless to say.

Geoff Collins

"Upscale" wrote in message .cable.rogers.com...
Why did you not just snip or cut one section of the ring and widen it to get
it off? I can't remember why it happened, but I remember crushing my ring
one day. Used a pair of tin snips to cut the thin part, spread it and had it
off easily. It was fairly cheap (e.g. $15) to have it repaired at the
jewellers.

gabriel

Default wearing a ring in the shop

That's the second time i hear that titanium wedding rings are extra
expensive. Why? The material cannot be the reason, you get it (at 90%
purity) for 37 CHF per Kg....

Because people will pay for them? Might be a business for you to get
into. I know I paid more than the price of gold for my wife's engagement
ring...
--
gabriel

Jay Chan

... I've heard all the arguments that your finger shouldn't be
near the blades / drills etc., but the consequences of a minor mishap are
too high - rings can rip a finger off.

Exactly.

Actually, the ring can create a problem even without any power-tool or
electricity involved. I know a person who is missing a finger. He was
lifting a heavy object from the ground to his shoulder behind a
mini-van that has its rear door raised open. Unfortunately, his ring
got caught with the door hinger, and he ripped his finger off. That
didn't involve any power tool or any welding equipment. The only
things involved was the force that he applied to himself and a tiny
metal object that was sticking out.

No, I don't wear a ring when I work in my workshop or when I move
anything.

Jay Chan
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:47:24 +0100, Juergen Hannappel
wrote:

That's the second time i hear that titanium wedding rings are extra
expensive. Why?

FASHION!

Titanium is cheaper than gold. In fact, you can get a 3 POUND bicycle
frame, made of 100% Ti, for less than many people pay for a 2 oz.
ring.

Barry
Tom

And just try to get that titanium off if it's ever crushed onto your finger.
The doctors and EMTs don't like trying to cut them off at all. Tom

wrote:

That's the second time i hear that titanium wedding rings are extra
expensive. Why?

Someday, it'll all be over....
Tom

Titanium is cheaper than gold. In fact, you can get a 3 POUND bicycle
frame, made of 100% Ti, for less than many people pay for a 2 oz.
ring.

Actually, the titanium in bicycles is alloyed with vanadium and aluminum. Tom
Someday, it'll all be over....
Geoff

OK, it's not too bad. $149 for it and I must say it's very nice.
It's very light on my finger, I don't worry about it bending and its
quite comfortable.

SWMBO got all the diamonds and gold, I'm happy with Titanium.

DY (Tom) wrote in message ...
Titanium is cheaper than gold. In fact, you can get a 3 POUND bicycle
frame, made of 100% Ti, for less than many people pay for a 2 oz.
ring.

Actually, the titanium in bicycles is alloyed with vanadium and aluminum. Tom
Someday, it'll all be over....

Tom

Default OT wearing a ring in the shop

Andy wrote:
Not all of them. There have been quite a few CP frames about
(although mine is 6/4).

CP meaning "commercially pure"? Sorry, but none come to mind. What frame maker
is going that route? Tom
Someday, it'll all be over....
--={Flyer}=--

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 08:35:59 GMT, "Upscale" wrote:

Why did you not just snip or cut one section of the ring and widen it to get
it off? I can't remember why it happened, but I remember crushing my ring
one day. Used a pair of tin snips to cut the thin part, spread it and had it
off easily. It was fairly cheap (e.g. $15) to have it repaired at the
jewellers.

Gotta tell you all about our Shipping supervisor's encounter with ring
removal:
The fellow said he was replacing his wedding ring, which was too small, after
being mounted on his finger for 22 years. Couldn't twist, pry, soap or grease
it off, so he decided to cut it away.
He jams a pencil underneath the ring to stand it off his finger....and reaches
for his Dremel with one of those abrasive wheels mounted on it.
Me: "What about the heat....?"
Him: "Wait. I'm getting to that."
So he proceeds to slice through the ring, and given gold's excellent
conduction of heat, breaks through at the same instant the heat really begins to
burn his finger. This generates a reaction in which he places his hand in his
mouth to assist in cooling. Of course, saliva and moist skin are relatively
poor heat conductors, and the poor fellow burns the tip of his tongue and lower
lip. Made some interesting marks on his face, I can assure you, however, there
was more. As the ring was cut, internal stresses in the metal caused the band
to contrict tightly around his finger, still in the "very GD hot" stage. He
suffered 2nd degree burns on the root of his ring finger, which looked pretty
ugly a week afterwards.
This is one of those things that tickle your funny bone before moving on to
the sympathy zone.
My boss once said "You can find sympathy in the dictionary between
sh*t and syphillis."

Tom Flyer

Tim Carver

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 06:37:36 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
wrote:

g Sorry, my practical experience is different. The extension cords on
the ceiling reduce a tripping hazard that existed when I ran them on the
floor Ideally, of course, I'd have outlets wherever needed. But the panel
and subpanel are maxed out. When I rewire the house I have to get a bigger
cable from the power company.

Mark -

You're making my point very well :-) We all do things that might not
be textbook-perfect from time to time. You've just given an example
of where you've done something that improves your safety situation,
even though you are doing something which is still technically a
no-no. Even though it improves your situation and is perfectly safe
in this case, there are a whole raft of passages in the NEC that make
what you are doing not quite kosher. But again, I'm not saying
there's anything really wrong with your cords on the ceiling, they are
certainly safer there than on the floor - but dedicated outlets would
be neater and safer.

Personally, I think that if you're close enough to a tablesaw blade
that the ring matters, you'll soon have no fingers left, ring or no
ring. And I'm sorry, but the kickback scenario where the ring got
smashed just seems extremely unlikely - if you set yourself up for
that kind of kickback, you could just as easily be killed by a board
through the throat or something.

On the other hand (couldn't resist :-)) I can imagine cases where
wearing a ring in the shop would be dangerous. My brother was a
welder and maintenance supervisor at International Harvester. Nobody
wore rings in his department. This may be a myth, but they were told
that there had been an instance of a guy falling off of a steel
I-beam, catching his ring on the edge as he tried to grab the beam to
save himself, and having the skin completely ripped off of his ring
finger as his entire body weight hung from the ring caught on the
beam. Nobody was quite sure if this was true, but they all chose
to not wear rings, because it seemed like something that could
actually happen to even a reasonably careful person. This is very
unlike the ring-around-the-tablesaw question, which requires several
concurrent stupid decisions in order for an accident to occur.

Tim Carver

Frank McVey

Second that. In my case it was a young man shinning down a Lightning Mk6
ladder dirung a scramble start (Cold War days, guys) who slipped, caught his
ring in a step tread and managed to peel most of his ring finger like taking
a condom off.

The other big nono about wearing rings was the skinny dipstick whose ring
didn't fit and managed to drop it in the starboard equipment compartment of
the same aircraft type. We spent most of that night stripping the bloody
thing to find it before the aircraft could fly again.

I accept that it's slightly different when you're wearing a ring in your own
woodworking shop, but as far as I'm concerned, it's just another thing in
the way, so I don't wear one. I don't wear a wris****ch either.

YMMV

Frank

"Groggy" wrote in message
s.com...
I agree with Andy on this. For mechanical binding and (potentially)
electrical reasons, I'd recommend against wearing rings around machinery

or
anywhere it is likely to catch and cause damage.

I have personally seen a finger torn off by catching on a latch in an
aircraft (C130) doorway when the individual jumped to the ground - not
pretty. Whilst not directly relevant to the shop, mechanical binding has
shown (to me) that the weakest point is the finger, not the ring.

Some production shops have these as rules. In some countries they are
legislation. In all instances they are for a reason.

If you read this Doug, "no rings" is the wrong lesson to learn from the
given instance, but that does not mean the policy is a bad one in
conjunction with the other safeguards you mentioned.

regards,

Greg

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:31:38 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

Ahh, I see. Still IMO "no rings" is the wrong lesson to learn from

this.

I have no idea what "the right question" is.

But the right answer is don't wear rings in a workshop.
--
Do whales have krillfiles ?

Andy Dingley

On 14 Jan 2004 23:35:11 -0800, (Dave G)
wrote:

They can't cut them off you--too hard for their metal shears.

Complete rubbish. Ti is just another metal, not kryptonite.

Tim Douglass

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:51:05 GMT, Tim Carver
wrote:

On the other hand (couldn't resist :-)) I can imagine cases where
wearing a ring in the shop would be dangerous. My brother was a
welder and maintenance supervisor at International Harvester. Nobody
wore rings in his department. This may be a myth, but they were told
that there had been an instance of a guy falling off of a steel
I-beam, catching his ring on the edge as he tried to grab the beam to
save himself, and having the skin completely ripped off of his ring
finger as his entire body weight hung from the ring caught on the
beam. Nobody was quite sure if this was true, but they all chose
to not wear rings, because it seemed like something that could
actually happen to even a reasonably careful person. This is very
unlike the ring-around-the-tablesaw question, which requires several
concurrent stupid decisions in order for an accident to occur.

Essentially that same thing happened to a friend of mine in college.
He was climbing in (or maybe out) of a second-floor dorm room window,
when he slipped and grabbed at the window ledge. He caught his wedding
ring on the aluminum track of the sliding window and pretty much
skinned his finger to the bone. It was a very ugly mess and I'm not
sure he ever regained full use of that finger.

Frankly, the danger of a ring around power equipment is probably
pretty slight, if you are close enough to catch it all you might be
doing is increasing the severity of the injury. Sort of like wearing
gloves when using the TS. I do on rough lumber, but never on smooth
stuff. You just need to understand the risks and take steps to
minimize them.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Carver

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:30:11 -0800, Tim Douglass
wrote:

Essentially that same thing happened to a friend of mine in college.
He was climbing in (or maybe out) of a second-floor dorm room window,
when he slipped and grabbed at the window ledge. He caught his wedding
ring on the aluminum track of the sliding window and pretty much
skinned his finger to the bone. It was a very ugly mess and I'm not
sure he ever regained full use of that finger.

You have a friend who was a married man, injured while climbing thru a
dorm room window while he was in college?

Sorry about his finger, but I'm certain that it would be pertinent to
the safety discussion for us to know a little more about how this came
about :-)

Tim Carver

Mark

Tim Carver wrote:

On the other hand (couldn't resist :-)) I can imagine cases where
wearing a ring in the shop would be dangerous. My brother was a
welder and maintenance supervisor at International Harvester. Nobody
wore rings in his department. This may be a myth, but they were told
that there had been an instance of a guy falling off of a steel
I-beam, catching his ring on the edge as he tried to grab the beam to
save himself, and having the skin completely ripped off of his ring
finger as his entire body weight hung from the ring caught on the
beam. Nobody was quite sure if this was true, but they all chose
to not wear rings, because it seemed like something that could
actually happen to even a reasonably careful person. This is very
unlike the ring-around-the-tablesaw question, which requires several
concurrent stupid decisions in order for an accident to occur.

I'm a mechanic.

I went to Vocational school, I've worked on Uncle Sugars
Nuclear Missiles, and earned my A&P. The machinery I've
worked on is used on earth, sea, sky and outer space.
Compared to some equipment I've worked on, the nastiest
machine in your home shop is pretty pussy.

Woodworking is a past time for me but the safety rules still
hold: No adornment of any type while working. No rings,
chains or watches.

From my point of view it's funny as hell to read dumbasses
justifications for wearing jewelry around machinery. Bottom
line is, if you wear a ring in the shop your a Pollyanna.

Everyone has brain farts.

It's been three days since my right eye's been right. Seems
I got a piece of metal stuck in it from grinding. I was
installing outlets in the ceiling for my shop lights. I
needed to move one but I had ring shanked it to the truss
and the easiest way to get it off was with my die grinder.
I put on the safety glasses and ear muffs. I ground off the
heads making sure the sparks didn't go near anything
valuable, especially myself.

Later, while washing up in the shower, I get this pain in my
right eye. I figured it was soap. The next day it was a bit
scratchy but I couldn't see anything in the eye. WTF???

It was a bit of dark gray grinding bur in my cornea. Somehow
this ball got lodged in my eye *after* I was done using the
grinder. I think it got washed there in the shower.

(hospital story omitted)

Went to the opthamologist. Real freaky listening to a needle
twang while their picking at your eyeball.

I submit this story to illustrate how one can follow safety
procedures and still get bit.

So go ahead, wear your rings, work safely and if you get bit
tell us why it shouldn't have happened.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart.
(S. Clemens, A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure
ends the suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Silvan

--={Flyer}=-- wrote:

reaches
for his Dremel with one of those abrasive wheels mounted on it.

Gack!

I had to cut Dad's ring off because it was causing him pain. I used an
Xacto razor saw to get most of it, then cut through with tin snips. Worked
fine.

Tell your boss to try my way next time.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

hex

--={Flyer}=-- wrote in message . ..
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 08:35:59 GMT, "Upscale" wrote:

Why did you not just snip or cut one section of the ring and widen it to get
it off? I can't remember why it happened, but I remember crushing my ring
one day. Used a pair of tin snips to cut the thin part, spread it and had it
off easily. It was fairly cheap (e.g. $15) to have it repaired at the
jewellers.

Gotta tell you all about our Shipping supervisor's encounter with ring
removal:

Here's another one: never wear rings if you work around high current
DC supplies. Apparently some of the early IBM mainframes had
multi-hundred amp 5V supplies where the terminals were closely spaced
which lead non-zero numbers of tech's with ring fingers that were
blown off when the ring closed the circuit. In this case no ring was
left to be removed. There are still some systems used in various
particle and nuclear physics experiments that have a similar feature
300A @ 5V supplies with the terminals spaced about 1cm apart -- scary.

It's easier to take the ring off for WW before the accident than
after. That act, however, does not recuse one from being careful.

hex
-30-
Frankie

I still have the nick in my wedding ring that almost lost me a finger. Got
it while surfing (actually, while "trying" to surf) wthout a leash on the
board. Had a wipeout, grabbed for the board, and a fin caught my ring. Since
theboard & I were going in opposite directions with a few tons of seawater
pushing, it was quite painful.

wrote:

[...]

Silvan

Mark wrote:

I submit this story to illustrate how one can follow safety
procedures and still get bit.

Safety glasses still let stuff get in your eyes, in my experience. I caught
a rock in the eye while weed eating. Went right up at just the right angle
to slip under the glasses and wing me in the eye. Scratched my cornea.

There was nothing inappropriate about the glasses I was wearing, and the
opthamologist didn't bless me out for poor safety practices. It's just
that they don't really work that well. Goggles are much better at keeping
stuff out, but they fog so bad you might as well just put on blinders, and
stuff can still make it through the little holes.

Along with my lathe, I got one of those $11 full face shield thingies. I
LOVE it. Why have I been wearing safey glasses all these years? Safety
glasses SUCK.

Sure, stuff could still get under this too, but it's a lot less likely.

I've got two so far. One for me, one for one of the kids. I want to pick
up two more, so I can have one dedicated for weed eating, and one for the
other rug rat. They're awesome, and quite reasonably priced IMHO.

I was convinced of this the first time a piece came apart and bounced
harmlessly off of the piece of clear plastic in front of my mouth full of
expensive-to-replace teeth.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Tim Douglass

wrote:

Essentially that same thing happened to a friend of mine in college.
He was climbing in (or maybe out) of a second-floor dorm room window,
when he slipped and grabbed at the window ledge. He caught his wedding
ring on the aluminum track of the sliding window and pretty much
skinned his finger to the bone. It was a very ugly mess and I'm not
sure he ever regained full use of that finger.

You have a friend who was a married man, injured while climbing thru a
dorm room window while he was in college?

Sorry about his finger, but I'm certain that it would be pertinent to
the safety discussion for us to know a little more about how this came
about :-)

We attended college in Spokane, WA. His wife attended college in
Denver, CO (IIRC). Guys lived on the ground floor, girls on the second
floor. Beyond all that I really don't have any idea what was going
on... ;-)

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Andy H.

Silvan,

That is why my glasses (to see) have polycarbonate lenses just in
case. My son (rug rat) also has polycarbonate lenses in his glasses.
Adds very little to the cost of the glasses, but worth it.

Andy