Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Good by Gustav, Hello Ike

Looks like south Texas' turn in the barrel.

Take care and be safe you rascals.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Good by Gustav, Hello Ike

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Looks like south Texas' turn in the barrel.

Take care and be safe you rascals.

I was wondering about that. I saw it on the news.

For the geographically impaired, just exactly where is this storm hitting?

Is this in a diferent place than where most of the wreckers here reside?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote

For the geographically impaired, just exactly where is this storm hitting?

As of 10 PM tonight ( latest update from the NWS ), Galveston .. which is 50
miles south of Houston ... putting the eye right over downtown Houston
around 7 AM Saturday morning if it stays on the current track.

That said, every update for the last two days has shown a corresponding
slight shift to the East. That would be slightly better news for the
Houston-Galveston area if said Eastward trend continues, but obviously bad
news for those further East.

Being West of the center of a hurricane on the Gulf Coast is considered the
lesser of two evils as the winds on the West side are generally from the
North due to its counterclockwise rotation, meaning they are usually dry and
you are on the "clean", less chance of heavy rain/flooding side. It often
doesn't do much to mitigate the high winds, however, but does make a
difference on whether you evacuate/un-ass the area ... CW for hurricane
survival is to "hide from the wind (usually stay put and hunker down), run
from the water (get hell outta Dodge)".

Is this in a diferent place than where most of the wreckers here reside?

There are at least four of us that post here on a regular basis that will be
under the gun by tomorrow night, the above notwithstanding.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 11, 9:38*pm, "Lee Michaels" wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Looks like south Texas' turn in the barrel.

Take care and be safe you rascals.

I was wondering about that. I saw it on the news.

For the geographically impaired, just exactly where is this storm hitting?

Is this in a diferent place than where most of the wreckers here reside?

It's heading for Crawford!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

As of 10 PM tonight ( latest update from the NWS ), Galveston ..
which is 50 miles south of Houston ... putting the eye right over
downtown Houston around 7 AM Saturday morning if it stays on the
current track.

SFWIW:

From a sailing list I belong to:

KHOU has live coverage 24/7 on:

http://www.khou.com/video/?nvid=1788...e=yes&noad=yes

without the spam and usual filtering....

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

http://www.khou.com/video/?nvid=1788...e=yes&noad=yes

without the spam and usual filtering....

Here's a good web based hurricane "track" information model, updated with
each NWS update:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26295161/

It often shows the current track/positions of all
hurricanes/typhoons/tropical storms around the world, from the same URL.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

"Lee Michaels" wrote

[...]

Thanks for that chilling update. Sound a little scary. Hope all you guys
come out of this unscathed.

It seems appropriate somehow that this destructive force of nature was named
after a dead president.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 11, 10:24*pm, "Swingman" wrote:

There are at least four of us that post here on a regular basis that will be
under the gun by tomorrow night, the above notwithstanding.

Well, I will remember you, Leon, Dave, and anyone else in harm's way
tonight in my evening consultations with upper management.

I have been emailing with my sister that lives just off Braeswood
Bayou of Stella Link, and they have decided to ride it out. They are
scared, nervous, and everything else as the last hurricane/tropical
storm that flooded them out (2002?) took about 4 years to resolve all
the issues it created.

Some of the folks by the bayou had 5 feet of water in their houses and
lost absolutely everything. They were happy with 6" or so...

I went to see her and her family shortly after that and I was shocked
to see all the fantastically expensive furniture, etc., stacked in
front of some of those million dollar homes along the other side of
the bayou, ruined from being completely under water for couple of
days. I still remember a picture they ran in the Houston Chronicle of
an 18 wheeler and its cargo van under so much water that you could
just see the outline from a helicopter overhead.

It wasn't supposed to be nearly as bad as that according to
predictions... so many folks were caught flat footed and lost
everything...

Good luck to all. I will be thinking of you as I am sure many others
will as well.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

There are at least four of us that post here on a regular basis that will be
under the gun by tomorrow night, the above notwithstanding.

All the best!

Batten down the hatches and secure the mizzen mast...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:

It seems appropriate somehow that this destructive force of nature was named
after a dead president.

I thought it was named after my Tabby cat, Ike.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:24:41 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Is this in a diferent place than where most of the wreckers here reside?

There are at least four of us that post here on a regular basis that will be
under the gun by tomorrow night, the above notwithstanding.

As are a number of my family members in Richmond and down by the space
center.

You guys take care.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
: "Lew Hodgett" wrote
:
: http://www.khou.com/video/?nvid=1788...e=yes&noad=yes
:
: without the spam and usual filtering....
:
: Here's a good web based hurricane "track" information model, updated
with
: each NWS update:
:
: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26295161/
:
: It often shows the current track/positions of all
: hurricanes/typhoons/tropical storms around the world, from the same
URL.

Here's another (from the Tampa Bay Railroad no less) that is fairly
comprehensive:

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/wolfy/

Dave (boarded up ) in Houston
Hunkered down in Floresville, Texas

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Sep 11, 10:24 pm, "Swingman" wrote:

There are at least four of us that post here on a regular basis that
will be
under the gun by tomorrow night, the above notwithstanding.

Well, I will remember you, Leon, Dave, and anyone else in harm's way
tonight in my evening consultations with upper management.

I have been emailing with my sister that lives just off Braeswood
Bayou of Stella Link, and they have decided to ride it out. They are
scared, nervous, and everything else as the last hurricane/tropical
storm that flooded them out (2002?) took about 4 years to resolve all
the issues it created.

Allison. We worked five flood jobs including a couple about two
blocks north of Braes Bayou and two blocks east of Stella Link. Client
closest to the bayou had 31 inches and client across the street 16
inches.
Did we rip up a lot of hardwood flooring - or what.

Some of the folks by the bayou had 5 feet of water in their houses and
lost absolutely everything. They were happy with 6" or so...

I went to see her and her family shortly after that and I was shocked
to see all the fantastically expensive furniture, etc., stacked in
front of some of those million dollar homes along the other side of
the bayou, ruined from being completely under water for couple of
days. I still remember a picture they ran in the Houston Chronicle of
an 18 wheeler and its cargo van under so much water that you could
just see the outline from a helicopter overhead.

It wasn't supposed to be nearly as bad as that according to
predictions... so many folks were caught flat footed and lost
everything...

It rained 18 iches in about 12 hours at my house in NW Houston. We
didn't flood but many people three blocks down our street sure did.

Good luck to all. I will be thinking of you as I am sure many others
will as well.

Dave (enjoying the tropical breezes) in Floresville, Texas

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote

Lee Michaels wrote:

It seems appropriate somehow that this destructive force of nature was
named after a dead president.

I thought it was named after my Tabby cat, Ike.

Is your Tabby cat a destructive force of nature?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

"B A R R Y" wrote

Lee Michaels wrote:

It seems appropriate somehow that this destructive force of nature was
named after a dead president.

I thought it was named after my Tabby cat, Ike.

Is your Tabby cat a destructive force of nature?

Only if his second job is as a TV talking head!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08