Silvan

Default computer in the shop

Greg G. wrote:

Spelling apparently wasn't a criteria for employment... g
Nah... I didn't just say that...

Don't you hate it when you dig at someone for a spelling mistake, and then
sme smartass comes along to point out your own spelling mistake?

The word "criteria" is plural. You can't have "a criteria." You have "a
criterion."

Damn Greek words.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 04:23:45 GMT, Michael Baglio
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 00:16:51 GMT, "Jon Endres, PE"
wrote:

Agreed. I recently visited my town's local museum, a place that I have only
been once before. Always thought it was for the tourists. They have quite
an impressive early american furniture collection that I spent not nearly
enough time looking at. Unfortunately, they don't let you touch it.

They don't let "the public" touch it. Try a different approach:

Write-- (write, don't just show up)-- and explain that you'd like to
take some measurements during a quiet / slow / closed time that is
convenient for the curator.

Failing that, try to take digital pictures with a known sized object
in the photo. I've been known to drop a crisp dollar bill into a
photo for scale purposes. G

Digital cameras are also useful in "No Photo" areas, as they can be
set to video mode, and held at your side. You can then pull the
frame(s) you want later.

Barry
Sumner Sargent

The first home computer that I saw was a Altair. It had toggle switches
instead of a keyboard and programmed in binary , all for circa a
thousand or so. I passed it up and hand built one that programmed in
machine language. Next the CPM operating system came out and I rebuilt
to accommodate it. Over the years parts and circuit boards were
replaced. Today there is nothing left of the original machine. My
upgrades were a learning curve and less expensive than trashing a
machine every two years.

From my learned skills, I got a job as a field service engineer working
on Bridgeport and Pratt and Whitney computer controlled milling
machines. After fifteen years of getting on a airplane every sunday, I
got a R&D job with Douglas Aircraft. They paid all expenses and put me
through college where earned a AS degree in computer maintenance and a
BS degree in computer science.

I retired about ten years ago and have a horse ranch on forty acres in
Colorado with a nice barn and a forty two by fifty modern, shop. I'm
busy learning C++ programming language and autocad. I have a couple of
patentable ideas on the drawing board and am busier retired than when I
worked.

Computers have enriched my life and haven't cost me very much.

Regards: Sumner Sargent

Jon Endres, PE

t wrote:

Agreed. I recently visited my town's local museum, a place that I have

only
been once before. Always thought it was for the tourists. They have

quite
an impressive early american furniture collection that I spent not nearly
enough time looking at. Unfortunately, they don't let you touch it.

They don't let "the public" touch it. Try a different approach:

Write-- (write, don't just show up)-- and explain that you'd like to
take some measurements during a quiet / slow / closed time that is
convenient for the curator. Explain that you'll wear cotton gloves
and use only a cloth tape measure to do your measuring. Assure them
that you won't let a ball point pen anywhere near the furniture--
you'll do all your recording with a pencil.

A museum's purpose is not only to archive knowledge, but to
disseminate it. If you show you have a real interest, I bet you'll be
suprised at the positive response a respectful request brings you.

Michael

Umm. Hadn't thought of that. Since I am well acquainted with both the
director and curator, I guess I'll just ask. I like the dollar bill trick
that Barry gave.

Thanks.

Jon

Jon Endres, PE

"Don" wrote in message
t...

2000 seats? Holy cow!

I think he meant "Release 2000, seats". I can't imagine any company in the
world having 2000 seats of Autocad. Talk about bankruptcy.

Jon

Juergen Hannappel

"Jon Endres, PE" t writes:

[...]

They don't let "the public" touch it. Try a different approach:

Write-- (write, don't just show up)-- and explain that you'd like to
take some measurements during a quiet / slow / closed time that is

[...]

Umm. Hadn't thought of that. Since I am well acquainted with both the
director and curator, I guess I'll just ask. I like the dollar bill trick
that Barry gave.

Maybe as an added incentive you should offer them a cpoy of each
drawing of the furniture, an item that would very probably be welcomed
by the museum people.
Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Greg

I can't remember which, in the Smithsonian. I'm hanging on
to both my Vic 20 and Commodore.

The Univac I worked on (or one of its siblings) is in there too. I saw
it there 20 years ago. Made me feel old then :-). Hmmmm - maybe this
post belongs in the "getting old" thread.

The knobs on the 360/50 in the Smithsonian are mine. I was up there a few years
ago and noticed the ones they had were broken and a few were the wrong style. I
talked to the guy who ran the exhibit and arranged to get him some authentic
ones from my junk box.

Greg G.

Silvan said:

Greg G. wrote:

Spelling apparently wasn't a criteria for employment... g
Nah... I didn't just say that...

Don't you hate it when you dig at someone for a spelling mistake, and then
sme smartass comes along to point out your own spelling mistake?

The word "criteria" is plural. You can't have "a criteria." You have "a
criterion."

Damn Greek words.

Or when sme smartass sic makes his own spelling mistakes... g
Blame it on the stupid spell checker...

Greg G.
Jon Endres, PE

"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
"Jon Endres, PE" t

writes:

[...]

They don't let "the public" touch it. Try a different approach:

Write-- (write, don't just show up)-- and explain that you'd like to
take some measurements during a quiet / slow / closed time that is

[...]

Umm. Hadn't thought of that. Since I am well acquainted with both the
director and curator, I guess I'll just ask. I like the dollar bill

trick
that Barry gave.

Maybe as an added incentive you should offer them a cpoy of each
drawing of the furniture, an item that would very probably be welcomed
by the museum people.

Interesting concept, but I don't draw anything I'm not paid for. It's bad
enough sitting in front of a CAD workstation all day, I'm sure not about to
do it for fun. What I'd most likely do is simply make a quick rough sketch
with dimensions. I'm not after historical accuracy, just inspiration.

Jon E

Silvan

Greg G. wrote:

Or when sme smartass sic makes his own spelling mistakes... g
Blame it on the stupid spell checker...

Dammit. I proof read that three times just to avoid that vry problem.

Oh well.

I don't use spell checkers, incidentally.

(Yes, I said "vry" on purpose.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Don

"Jon Endres, PE" t wrote in
message et...

"Don" wrote in message
t...

2000 seats? Holy cow!

I think he meant "Release 2000, seats". I can't imagine any company in

the
world having 2000 seats of Autocad. Talk about bankruptcy.

I'd hope they received a volume discount!

Rick Cox

yeah i am a drafter and designer, i am pretty good at site grading and
earthworks, we are doing alot of schools all over ohio.

"Don" wrote in message
t...
I just got my upgrade in the mail yesterday, haven't installed it yet,

cause
I'm in the middle of a big project.
I used full blown AutoCAD until 1998 then I converted to LT, as I couldn't
justify the cost of the full blown version.
LT does fine for me, I design homes.
I don't like the way AutoDesk cuts you off at the knees regarding the
support and upgrades.
2000 seats? Holy cow!
Are you a drafter there at Sands Decker?

"Rick Cox" wrote in message
gy.com...
Autocad....sigh.....
Speaking of money down the toilet....we have till the 15 to upgrade some

of
our 2000 seats or they will no longer be updateable....to me that is
extorsion.
I use Land Development Desktop and Civil packages which cost about $8000

for
a new seat...sigh...

"Don" wrote in message

"Rick Cox" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am a long time wreck lurker. and a recent post by Jim Laumann

"A
'puter
in the shop" got me thinking.

In 1994 when I purchased my first house I wanted to buy a RAS to

help
with
some of the fix ups needed. My father who lived close by talked me

into
getting a tablesaw because he already had a ras and said it would be

nice
have both between us. So it was off to the local sears and I

purchased
contractors table saw. I purchased the saw for $449.00 and I could

not
believe that I spent that much on something I didn't event know how

use.

About a year later, my wife and I decided to purchase our first

computer.
am a CAD tech and I did not want anything less than I was using at

work
at
the time.
So I went to the local computer shop and had one built to try to

save
money.
I had to have that new HOTTT Pentium chip. I was really excited to

get
the
Pentium 90 that ran so hot it needed its own fan. I paid $150 bucks

extra
to double the RAM to 16 megs, and I got a huge 15" svga monitor.

Final
price for that computer was $2300 but man was I styling......AOL at

whopping 14.bps ...... life doesn't get any better....

Now 2004, I have a used $449.00 craftsman table saw that I still
thoroughly
enjoy, and that $2300 computer is darkening some corner in a land

fill
right
now..... what I wouldn't give to has that $2300 in tools now,
Funny what we are willing to spend money on.

Just this past week I finally kicked sniff my first 2 computers to

the
curb to free up some real estate in the garage.
A Commodore VIC20 bought in 1984 and a clone 286/12 bought in 1988.
Paid $80 for the VIC at Toys R Us and had a loan for 3 years on the

286,
it
cost $3300.
My present machine (I use AutoCAD daily for my livelihood) cost 1/3 of

the
286.

Greg G.

Silvan said:

Greg G. wrote:

Or when sme smartass sic makes his own spelling mistakes... g
Blame it on the stupid spell checker...

Dammit. I proof read that three times just to avoid that vry problem.

Oh well.

I don't use spell checkers, incidentally.

(Yes, I said "vry" on purpose.)

One of the hazards of being a smart-ass, I suppose... g

Just got in from replacing the sheetrock on the ceiling in the garage.
God, I hate fiberglass insulation! And damned termites!

Greg G.
Silvan

Greg G. wrote:

One of the hazards of being a smart-ass, I suppose... g

Quite. It's my nature though.

Just got in from replacing the sheetrock on the ceiling in the garage.
God, I hate fiberglass insulation! And damned termites!

Bleah. Reminds me, I need to do the rounds and make sure I don't have any
termites in the house. I definitely *had* termites. One exterior door
frame was nothing but paint. *Sneaky* little *******s.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Greg G.

Silvan said:

Bleah. Reminds me, I need to do the rounds and make sure I don't have any
termites in the house. I definitely *had* termites. One exterior door
frame was nothing but paint. *Sneaky* little *******s.

Yea they are! They ate a portion of one garage (shop) wall and the
roof framing, and after replacing all of that, I pulled sheetrock down
15 feet away and found they had tunneled under the sheetrock/stud
junction to it as well. I treated the soil around the entry point,
replacement sill plates, and framing with Bifenthrin. Fortunately, I
saw no evidence of current activity - just a lot of abandoned mud
trails. Industrious little fu#%ers...

Greg G.
Bob G

Gosh Rick.... I can relate... lol

I am retired and if I added up all the money I have spent on computers
...starting with a TI 49'er I guess I would also be sick.. BUT I used and
abused every computer I have ever owned..so I got my money worth...
no regrets... I would imagine my Cabinet Saw (purchased in the mid 80's
would be completely worthless today if
Saws were improved even 1/1000th as much or as fast
as Computers.... On the other Hand I restore and tinker with old cars
(another hobby) and my 64 high horserpower (365) solid lifter Corvette is
worth 15 times what I paid for it in 1965 and and is still worth 80 to 90
percent of the cost of a new Z06 Corvetteand it is NOT depreciating a cent
...BUT IT IS NOT.. 10 percent as GOOD A CAR as the new .ones... Hell of a
lot more fun to drive BUT honestly nowhere as good a car
as even a new FORD (did I say that 4 letter word??)
so sometimes old outdated "things" do hold their value

Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

jo4hn

[snip]
so sometimes old outdated "things" do hold their value

Bob Griffiths

Showed this to LOML to prove that other folks don't think I'm worthless.
Now she thinks you're a moron too. Sorry.
j4

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations.

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 16:20:25 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
wrote:

Mike in Mystic wrote:

Reinstalling stuff IS a bummer, but it really
isn't that big a deal. I've done it many times, and it usually takes
maybe 2-3 hours max. Not that big a deal, IMO.

To amplify... g installing the OS isn't bad. I've done it probably 200
times since Win3.x. It's everything else I use as a software developer that
takes the install/config time. Starting with FDISK it's about a 1.75 day
process. Office XP Developer, Visual Studio.NET, SQL Server 2000, ... This
time around I didn't install Delphi, Visual Studio 6 or IBM's DB2 database.
Hope I don't need 'em anymore.

In all the years I've been using computers, I've only had one hard
drive fail. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I think that the mfgs have
gotten pretty good at quality control.

I'd had good luck for years too then :-( two failures in a few months.

My experiences have been mixed. I just lost a hard drive in
one of my systems, a Seagate, that just would not load any more, or
recognize. I had a Western Digital drive (20 gig) that went for
about 4 weeks in a web server before going toes up. Of course, that
was after I had run a burn in on it for a week.... Apparently WD
has had some quality issues with the 20 gig drives, as my supplier
said they had gotten a LOT of the 20 gig units back. The bigger
drives seem reliable...but that 20 gig mech just was a bit flaky.

The other big issue is that the RAID 1 arrays suffer pretty
significantly in performance compared to the RAID 0 arrays. What's
the point of having all the processor, memory and video performance
if you handcuff it with a slow data storage/retrieval architecture?

IIRC RAID 5 has performance and fault tolerance. More info here.
http://www.acnc.com/raid.html

You REALLY should not see a performance hit if you use a RAID
controller (either separate or built into the motherboard). The
controller takes care of all that, and, at a fast enough speed
that there should not really be a hit. Now...if you are trying to
do it with sofware emulation...good luck...even if you ARE using
Linux.

brain fart
You could leave your transient data on RAID 0 for max speed and have the OS
and programs on mirrored (if you were concerned about fault tolerance).
Especially on separate controllers that would be very fast. I've read of
systems setup this way.
/brain fart

-- Mark

Depends on what is important to save. Any data that is not
backed up on at least ONE separate media is subject to loss. I would
go with having everything on the most fault tolerant media possible.
After all, it can really darken one's day to finish up an 8-10 hour
editing session and have a drive crash and lose everything.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Mark Jerde

Dave Mundt wrote:

Depends on what is important to save. Any data that is not
backed up on at least ONE separate media is subject to loss. I would
go with having everything on the most fault tolerant media possible.
After all, it can really darken one's day to finish up an 8-10 hour
editing session and have a drive crash and lose everything.

My practice is to constantly write to three hard drives:
- Work on either the desktop or laptop's C:
- Check the work into the version control system
running on the desktop's E:
- "Get latest version" to the C: of the other computer.

At the end of the day I often zip everything and send it to an email account
that I access only by webmail so if the office burned down overnight the
latest & greatest is safely offsite.

-- Mark

Mike in Mystic

Hey greg,

Could you send me an email, I tried to reply directly to you, but it didn't
work.

Mike

Greg G. wrote in message
Mike in Mystic said:

That was my point, now I can just pipe my cable signal into my computer

and
use that to record my shows. I don't know how much TiVO runs, but the
set-up I'm using can be had for about $50 (TV tuner card) and included
software. Electronic programming guides can be found online for free
(www.titantv.com). Plus, there's no monthly fees (something I'm assuming
TiVO has, but I'm not sure). I can then burn the shows onto CDs or DVDs

(if
I want particularly high quality) and watch them on my TV via the DVD
player. Or, just watch them on the computer. I think it kicks butt.

I've been doing that very thing since 1996, when a decent video
capture card cost $800. Guess what that card is worth now...
I DO have the complete NYW on disk, however... g

Greg G.

Bob G

]
so sometimes old outdated "things" do hold their value

Bob Griffiths

Showed this to LOML to prove that other folks don't think I'm worthless.
Now she thinks you're a moron too. Sorry.
j4

No need to be sorry I actually do not give a damn (honest I do not ) what
others think of me... lol

Bob Griffiths