Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Baffle for dust collector?

Anyone know how to modify the Harbor Freight dust collector to add the
baffle
that prevents the filter from clogging so quickly? I have the Wynn filter
with plastic catch bag. I thought there was a baffle that could be added in
the middle of the unit someway to prevent so much dust from being captured
in the filter.
thanks for any tips

Posted to rec.woodworking

toni towns wrote:
Anyone know how to modify the Harbor Freight dust collector to add the
baffle
that prevents the filter from clogging so quickly? I have the Wynn filter
with plastic catch bag. I thought there was a baffle that could be added in
the middle of the unit someway to prevent so much dust from being captured
in the filter.
thanks for any tips

I recycled a fiber drum and put two 4" elbows through the lid with the
inside parts facing opposite directions. It fills up about once a week
and have to empty the bag on the dust collector every couple of years.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A friend: someone who likes you even
after they know you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 18, 11:24*pm, "toni towns" wrote:
Anyone know how to modify the Harbor Freight dust collector to add the
baffle
that prevents the filter from clogging so quickly? * I have the Wynn filter
with plastic catch bag. *I thought there was a baffle that could be added in
the middle of the unit someway to prevent so much dust from being captured
in the filter.
thanks for any tips

This is basically what you want to make and put on top of a trash can
or other container.
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/DCLID21.html
You don't need to buy one, a couple PVC elbows and you're done.
I use this type of setup with an ear blistering shop vac and it works
great.

or you could make this
http://home.comcast.net/~rodec/woodw...e_details.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 05:48:38 -0400, Gerald Ross wrote:

toni towns wrote:
Anyone know how to modify the Harbor Freight dust collector to add the
baffle
that prevents the filter from clogging so quickly? I have the Wynn filter
with plastic catch bag. I thought there was a baffle that could be added in
the middle of the unit someway to prevent so much dust from being captured
in the filter.
thanks for any tips

I recycled a fiber drum and put two 4" elbows through the lid with the
inside parts facing opposite directions. It fills up about once a week
and have to empty the bag on the dust collector every couple of years.

I did the same, with one elbow in the center of the top and the other on the
edge, and later modified it by replacing the middle elbow with a straight
fitting, at the suggestion of a few folks in the wRECk..
It did improve the performance, which surprised me... I know that the lids that
you buy usually have one elbow and one straight, but didn't think it would make
any difference.. YMWV

I fill it, (55 gal.), about twice a year...
I emptied the bottom bag in October, 2006, when we moved and the DC was
disassembled and packed.. Haven't needed to empty it since it was set up in the
new shop that month..

NOTE: I have the HF DC and at first, the trash can/separator was mainly to catch
things like knots and screws, to keep them from damaging the impeller blade..
The collection of shavings and larger dust particles was just an added plus..
If they still make them like mine, the impeller is the first thing the
air/dust/bolts hit when entering the DC.. no screen or anything..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

JDS Dust Force or Harbor Freight dust collector? HerHusband Woodworking 4 October 28th 07 10:15 PM
JDS dust collector Chris Friesen Woodworking 0 May 19th 06 10:12 PM
JDS dust collector Toller Woodworking 0 May 15th 06 08:39 PM
Anyone have a JDS Dust-Force dust collector? [email protected] Woodworking 4 August 15th 05 05:48 PM
Dust Collector and compressing dust into burnable logs tiredofspam Woodworking 25 February 23rd 05 03:04 AM