Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Table Saw motor upgrade

I have a 20 year old 10" Craftsman table saw with a 13A/1.5HP (3HP
"Peak") motor.

I am finding that the saw seems to bog down when ripping even 3/4"
plywood (let alone hardwood) despite the fact that the saw is now near
perfectly aligned (via a dial-indicator) and I have upgraded to
machined steel pulleys and a link belt.

Part of the problem may be due to the fact that the upgraded pulleys
are 2.25" and 2.5" vs. the original 2.5" and 2.5".

But that aside, how hard and expensive would it be to upgrade the
motor?
- Any suggestions of where and how I could find a good motor (and be
sure that it is a quality replacement)?

- Could I get a (meaninfully) more powerful 110V motor (it is on a 20A
circuit) or would I be better off getting a 220v motor?

Thanks!