Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Radius corners?

I'm racking my brain trying to think of a way to make a perfect radius
corner.....about a half inch radius or so.

Is there any technique with a jig or something someone can share?

I really want an accurate, production setup to do these -- not a jig
saw cut and sanding etc.

There must be something?

(I don't mean a roundover edge -- I mean a rounded corner).

THANKS
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

mkr5000 wrote:
I'm racking my brain trying to think of a way to make a perfect radius
corner.....about a half inch radius or so.

Is there any technique with a jig or something someone can share?

What you have to use?

The "standard" way would be to make a pattern and then use it as a
template w/ a bearing-guided router or shaper to make the cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have just about every tool known to man. problem is, the pieces I
have to get corners on are pretty small, about 7" x 2.5".

If it were a large piece, I could make a template and then use it as a
guide for my small laminate trimmer.

Maybe I'll have to try something like a dremel or roto tool.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

mkr5000 wrote:
I have just about every tool known to man. problem is, the pieces I
have to get corners on are pretty small, about 7" x 2.5".

If it were a large piece, I could make a template and then use it as a
guide for my small laminate trimmer.

That's not that small -- what's the hangup? If you need more support
for the router, make a jig that holds them that has an edge the same
thickness for the router to ride on.

On the shaper, a toggle clamp will hold them and run the template
against the guide bearing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mkr5000" wrote in message
I have just about every tool known to man. problem is, the pieces I
have to get corners on are pretty small, about 7" x 2.5".

If it were a large piece, I could make a template and then use it as a
guide for my small laminate trimmer.

Maybe I'll have to try something like a dremel or roto tool.

Then using one of your "every tool know to man" ;~), make a pattern
plate out of Masonite or MDF as a guide and use a top bearing pattern bit in
you router table, use the pattern on bottom of the piece needing the
modification.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I make a lot of kids toys and have to do this a lot.

I use a straight router bit with a bearing pilot that I use 1/4" thick
templates I lay over the material I have to round and just let the router do
the work.

It works with corners, curves and all kinds of shapes.

"mkr5000" wrote in message
I'm racking my brain trying to think of a way to make a perfect radius
corner.....about a half inch radius or so.

Is there any technique with a jig or something someone can share?

I really want an accurate, production setup to do these -- not a jig
saw cut and sanding etc.

There must be something?

(I don't mean a roundover edge -- I mean a rounded corner).

THANKS

Posted to rec.woodworking

I gotcha.

Simple, really, just very busy right now and wanted to get some hints.

Just start feeding the corner into the router till a "rounded edge"
template hits the bearing pilot, right?

And yes, I do have just about "every tool known to man".

It's just an expression.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"How do I make a perfect radius cut?" "Make a template with a perfect
radius and follow the template to make the cut?" Circular logic no?
(pun intended)

There are easy ways to make an exact radious for the template but it
might be easier to buy a template made for that purpose. Look at the
lower template closely on the page link below. The outer corners are
all different radi so they can be used to do what you need. You can
use this template to make a better suited (size wise) template or use
it as it is.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20949

On Aug 5, 7:18*am, mkr5000 wrote:
I'm racking my brain trying to think of a way to make a perfect radius
corner.....about a half inch radius or so.

Is there any technique with a jig or something someone can share?

I really want an accurate, production setup to do these -- not a jig
saw cut and sanding etc.

There must be something?

(I don't mean a roundover edge -- I mean a rounded corner).

THANKS

Posted to rec.woodworking

Looks good.

I was going to use something premade -- I have some factory made
acrylic circles and some other "stuff" laying around.

In fact, it's just part of my "everything known to man" collection.

Posted to rec.woodworking

mkr5000 wrote:
I'm racking my brain trying to think of a way to make a perfect
radius
corner.....about a half inch radius or so.

1) Fix the cutter, move the piece.
2) Fix the piece, move the cutter.

Either way, the template moves relative to the cutter.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 5, 10:18*am, mkr5000 wrote:
I'm racking my brain trying to think of a way to make a perfect radius
corner.....about a half inch radius or so.

Is there any technique with a jig or something someone can share?

I really want an accurate, production setup to do these -- not a jig
saw cut and sanding etc.

There must be something?

(I don't mean a roundover edge -- I mean a rounded corner).

THANKS

Use a corner rounding cutter in your shaper or router table. Run the
workpieces by it, on edge, using a miter gauge or a push block against
the fence. You may need a backup piece to eliminate chipping. For
speed, gang the pieces.

John Martin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 07:18:39 -0700 (PDT), mkr5000
wrote:

I'm racking my brain trying to think of a way to make a perfect radius
corner.....about a half inch radius or so.

Is there any technique with a jig or something someone can share?

I really want an accurate, production setup to do these -- not a jig
saw cut and sanding etc.

There must be something?

(I don't mean a roundover edge -- I mean a rounded corner).

THANKS

Layout the radius. Mechanic sockets and a pencil work fine. Leaving
the line bandsaw the corners. An oscillating spindle sander does a
fast job sanding to barely touch the pencil line. Without a OSS, a
drum sander chucked in the drill press or disk sander with table will
do. Good lighting can make a difference.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I do it with a hardboard or MDF template and a pattern bit. I'll use a
coin or anything else that's the right size to trace and make the template.

In use, it's super fast and easy to use. If you're going to use it for
enough repetitions, adding "fence blocks" on the bottom side makes it
even faster to place on the work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Use a "De-Stako" or equal over center clamp to lock work piece into
jig.

Improves not only speed of operation, but also safety.

Lew