Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wall building (2*4) question

hello,

This might be a stupid question, but when creating a 2*4 stud wall, how many
nails are suposed to hold the 2*4 to the top or bottom plate? 1 or 2? is
this in the code?

Second simple question: does any one knows the setback between a building
(garage) and power and phone lines?

thanks, cyrille

Posted to rec.woodworking

cyrille de brebisson wrote:
hello,

This might be a stupid question, but when creating a 2*4 stud wall, how many
nails are suposed to hold the 2*4 to the top or bottom plate? 1 or 2? is
this in the code?

Second simple question: does any one knows the setback between a building
(garage) and power and phone lines?

thanks, cyrille

Two nails if nailing through the plate into the stud, three if
toenailing. Fasteners should be 12s or above for through nailing
and eights for toenailing (this may vary according to local
building codes).

Setback between building and power lines? I don't understand
that question. If there is a power line, then there is an
easement. If there is an easement, then you can't build there.
Stay out of the easements and you will be fine.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"cyrille de brebisson" wrote in message
hello,

This might be a stupid question, but when creating a 2*4 stud wall, how

many
nails are suposed to hold the 2*4 to the top or bottom plate? 1 or 2? is
this in the code?

Second simple question: does any one knows the setback between a building
(garage) and power and phone lines?

What Robert said ... but it is also important to check for building height
restrictions next to power line easements, as well as possible encroachment
of eaves and overhangs. Best to check with your local building services
department.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not just height restrictions next to a power line, but height
restrictions within zoning requirements. A friend of mine had to get a
variance just to add one foot of height to his garage so he could jack
it up and put a short concrete wall under it.
If you are in an area where you even have to ask the question, better
to check with the building department now than to have to tear it down
later.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------
snip

What Robert said ... but it is also important to check for building height
restrictions next to power line easements, as well as possible encroachment
of eaves and overhangs. Best to check with your local building services
department.

Posted to rec.woodworking

This might be a stupid question, but when creating a 2*4 stud wall,
how many nails are suposed to hold the 2*4 to the top or bottom
plate? 1 or 2? is this in the code?

Two nails if nailing through the plate into the stud, three if
toenailing. Fasteners should be 12s or above for through nailing
and eights for toenailing (this may vary according to local
building codes).

Just as an addendum, use three nails through the plate if using 2x6
studs.

Second simple question: does any one knows the setback between a
building (garage) and power and phone lines?

Setback between building and power lines? I don't understand
that question. If there is a power line, then there is an
easement. If there is an easement, then you can't build there.
Stay out of the easements and you will be fine.

Actually, there are many code requirements for clearances to electrical
wires.

Basically, the wire has to be more than 3 feet from any window, door, or
the side of a deck or balcony (so you can't reach out and touch the
wire).

The wire has to be more than 10 feet above a deck, balcony, or other area
only accessable to pedestrians (so you can't reach up and touch the
wire).

The wire has to 12 feet above a driveway, yard, etc., but has to be 18
feet above a roadway.

The wire has to be more than 22 feet above a swimming pool.

The wire has to be more than 8 feet above a roof that is less than 4/12
pitch, but only needs to be 3 feet above a roof that is 4/12 pitch or
greater. There is an exception that allows you to go as far as 4 feet
horizontally over an eave, as close as 18" to the roof. This basically
just allows for an incoming overhead service feed.

Of course, your local electric utility may have different requirements
than the standard codes spell out. You may want to call them and check if
the wire proximity is going to be an issue.

On the other hand, if this is new wiring, just go underground. It's out
of sight, won't be affected by weather or falling trees, and no risk of
accidently touching it with ladders or kites.

Anthony

Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:

[...]

I thought he was talking about power lines. He didn't say
anything about a drop. Do they allow you to build in power line
easements in your area?

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robert Allison" wrote

I thought he was talking about power lines. He didn't say
anything about a drop. Do they allow you to build in power line
easements in your area?

LOL He also didn't say anything about 2 x 6's ... around here you sometime
you get more answer than question.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robert Allison" wrote in message

I thought he was talking about power lines. He didn't say anything about
a drop. Do they allow you to build in power line easements in your area?

I suspect he was using the term loosely and not suggesting he was going to
build on the easement.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

hello,

Thanks for all the answers... but as always, answers do bring more questions
:-(

- for the toe nailed nails... the answer was 3 naisl. I assume that this
means 2 nails on one side and 1 on the other? am I correct?

- for the easements now: is there a difference between Power cables (ie:
electricity) and phone/cable lines?

Right now, the plans call for a phone cable 10'10" away from the roof (at a
9.8/12 pitch), but I would like to put some dormers which would bring the
cable around 5 feet ways from the window.... (but still above them)...

regards, cyrille

"HerHusband" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robert,

I thought he was talking about power lines. He didn't say
anything about a drop. Do they allow you to build in power line
easements in your area?

Yes, we're both speaking about power lines.

Around here anyway, it wouldn't really be considered an easement if say a
powerline comes from a pole at the road overhead to the roof of the house.
If I wanted to build a shed or other building between the power pole and
the house, I shouldn't have any problems as long as the distances I
mentioned are observed. Of course, it would always be wise to contact the
power company before you start building just to see if they have their own
requirements.

What would be considered an easement is where the powerlines and other
utilities run along the road. But that's usually built-in to the zoning
setbacks anyway.

Again, the wisest thing is to check with the building department and
electric utility. They will have more appropriate advice than anything I
have to say.

Anthony

Posted to rec.woodworking

"cyrille de brebisson" wrote in
:

hello,

Thanks for all the answers... but as always, answers do bring more
questions
:-(

- for the toe nailed nails... the answer was 3 naisl. I assume that
this means 2 nails on one side and 1 on the other? am I correct?

One on each side, and one on the end. If you've got the space, you might
put one more "naisl" in.

- for the easements now: is there a difference between Power cables
(ie: electricity) and phone/cable lines?

That's something your local utility/buildings department would have to
answer. Access to the lines is a major concern no matter if it's phone
or power. This is true for both stopping someone from "playing
squirrel" or allowing someone to actually work on them.

Right now, the plans call for a phone cable 10'10" away from the roof
(at a 9.8/12 pitch), but I would like to put some dormers which would
bring the cable around 5 feet ways from the window.... (but still
above them)...

regards, cyrille

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

LOL He also didn't say anything about 2 x 6's ... around here you
sometime you get more answer than question.

I just thought I'd mention it in case the original poster decides to
upgrade to 2x6 studs like we did on our garage. Gotta be thorough.

Anthony
Posted to rec.woodworking

- for the easements now: is there a difference between Power cables
(ie: electricity) and phone/cable lines?

I don't know if it varies by region, but we don't have specific power or
phone easements. They're simply referred to as utility easements. They're
free to run power, phone, cable TV, etc.

Right now, the plans call for a phone cable 10'10" away from the roof
(at a 9.8/12 pitch), but I would like to put some dormers which would
bring the cable around 5 feet ways from the window.... (but still
above them)...

I'm not aware of any restrictions for phone cables, as they are generally
low voltage anyway. I wouldn't want to stick one in my mouth, but if you
accidently grab the phone wire you're unlikely to be harmed. The biggest
side effect would be loss of your phone service.

But again, call the phone company if you have concerns.

Anthony
Posted to rec.woodworking

"cyrille de brebisson" wrote in message
hello,

Thanks for all the answers... but as always, answers do bring more
questions :-(

- for the toe nailed nails... the answer was 3 naisl. I assume that this
means 2 nails on one side and 1 on the other? am I correct?

- for the easements now: is there a difference between Power cables (ie:
electricity) and phone/cable lines?

Right now, the plans call for a phone cable 10'10" away from the roof (at
a 9.8/12 pitch), but I would like to put some dormers which would bring
the cable around 5 feet ways from the window.... (but still above them)...

You keep mixing terms here. An easement is a right of way that the power
company, or phone company, etc. has on your property. Typically by the
road, but not always. Clearances to the house are a different thing. You
need to use the appropriate term to avoid confusion.

You need to check with your local authorities regarding clearances. This
stuff varies by locale. Your power company will provide you with specs for
their lines. Your local building inspector can probably provide you with
comprehensive specs.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote

You keep mixing terms here. An easement is a right of way snip

Probably a legal difference in different parts of the country, but around
here a "right of way" is a specific type of "easement".

Sorry, Mike ... seems the temptation for nits to get picked around here is
irresistible. Beside, the devil made me do it!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08