Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing Cherry

I have just used cherry for the first time. I plan to put a clear
finish on the piece. The piece has some nail holes that I would like
to hide.
What does anyone recommend I use to hide these holes?
Thanks for any and all help.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"trvlnmny" wrote in message
I have just used cherry for the first time. I plan to put a clear
finish on the piece. The piece has some nail holes that I would like
to hide.
What does anyone recommend I use to hide these holes?
Thanks for any and all help.

If the nail holes are along an edge, a strip of duct tape will hide them.
Looks neat and straight that way so no one will suspect they are there. If
they are in the center of the board, the stick on dots from the stationary
store do a good job and they come in a variety of colors.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
finish on the piece. The piece has some nail holes that I would like
to hide.

they are in the center of the board, the stick on dots from the
stationary
store do a good job and they come in a variety of colors.

Not to criticise Ed, but doesn't that seem a little chintzy? I'd use some
plastic wood with matching stain mixed in or maybe a suitably coloured wax
stick like the ones from Lee Valley.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,42997

I use a previous reincarnation of a wax stick set purchased from LV. They
work quite well and are extremely easy to use.

I think Ed's nose smelled a troll and he was offering an appropriate answer.
I also detect an aroma of BS from the OP.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"trvlnmny" wrote in message
I have just used cherry for the first time. I plan to put a clear
finish on the piece. The piece has some nail holes that I would like
to hide.
What does anyone recommend I use to hide these holes?
Thanks for any and all help.

If the nail holes are along an edge, a strip of duct tape will hide them.
Looks neat and straight that way so no one will suspect they are there.
If they are in the center of the board, the stick on dots from the
stationary store do a good job and they come in a variety of colors.

Hillbilly designer??

Posted to rec.woodworking

"C & E" wrote in message
I think Ed's nose smelled a troll and he was offering an appropriate

answer.
I also detect an aroma of BS from the OP.

Oh, possibly. That didn't occur to me. Because I've come to expect a certain
level of expertise from Ed, his comment caught me off guard.

Posted to rec.woodworking
10x 10x is offline

In article
,
trvlnmny wrote:

I have just used cherry for the first time. I plan to put a clear
finish on the piece. The piece has some nail holes that I would like
to hide.
What does anyone recommend I use to hide these holes?
Thanks for any and all help.

My preference has always been for flat black paint. A little Elmers®
wood filler, some sanding, apply the paint, and Voila, the holes are
gone.

TIC

Joe
aka 10x
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
finish on the piece. The piece has some nail holes that I would like
to hide.

they are in the center of the board, the stick on dots from the
stationary
store do a good job and they come in a variety of colors.

Not to criticise Ed, but doesn't that seem a little chintzy? I'd use some
plastic wood with matching stain mixed in or maybe a suitably coloured wax
stick like the ones from Lee Valley.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,42997

I use a previous reincarnation of a wax stick set purchased from LV. They
work quite well and are extremely easy to use.

I think it combines both practicality and elegance. I guess it would be
chintzy if you used too bold of a color; muted earth tones are best with
cherry..

Posted to rec.woodworking

10x wrote:
In article
,
trvlnmny wrote:

I have just used cherry for the first time. I plan to put a clear
finish on the piece. The piece has some nail holes that I would like
to hide.
What does anyone recommend I use to hide these holes?
Thanks for any and all help.

My preference has always been for flat black paint. A little Elmers®
wood filler, some sanding, apply the paint, and Voila, the holes are
gone.

TIC

Joe
aka 10x

Criminy! It's *Spackle* all the way. Leaves a smooth surface with
little white dots where the holes used to be. Classy.
sincerely,
the *Spackle* Kid!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Two reccomendations for hiding nails holes in any design, regardless
of material.

1. Don't use nails.

2. Use nails where you can't see them.

But if you actually did use nails and are asking a serious question
then... Using some samples of the same or similar wood, apply a coat
or two of the finish, then use any colored wood putty of any brand and
any type that you can find or make yourself from sawdust and glue or
wax or crayons or plastic burn sticks or anything close in color. Best
if you have several close to the wood colors to choose from and see
which one matches best. Then finish finishing. Looking at the finished
result to see which one looks the best to you under the final finish.

On Aug 4, 6:04*pm, trvlnmny wrote:
I have just used cherry for the first time. I plan to put a clear
finish on the piece. The piece has some nail holes that I would like
to hide.
What does anyone recommend I use to hide these holes?
Thanks for any and all help.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 4, 9:04 pm, trvlnmny wrote:
I have just used cherry for the first time. I plan to put a clear
finish on the piece. The piece has some nail holes that I would like
to hide.
What does anyone recommend I use to hide these holes?
Thanks for any and all help.

The way I learned was to (before nailing) tke an Exacto knife (or
similar) and slice the wood to create a sliver - leaving it attached.
Then raise the sliver and nail under it. (don't forget to set the
nail) then, glue the sliver back to cover the nail. Never tried it in
Charry, but it should work to hide the nail heads nicely and takes any
finish the same as the rest of the piece with a little care, no one
will see where you placed those nails.

And, its much cheaper than Cherry Duct tape.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 5, 5:04*pm, Hoosierpopi wrote:

The way I learned was to (before nailing) tke an Exacto knife (or
similar) and slice the wood to create a sliver - leaving it attached.
Then raise the sliver and nail under it. (don't forget to set the
nail) then, glue the sliver back to cover the nail. Never tried it in
Charry, but it should work to hide the nail heads nicely and takes any
finish the same as the rest of the piece with a little care, no one
will see where you placed those nails.

And, its much cheaper than Cherry Duct tape.

Cherry colored, yes, cherry flavored, no. They use real cherry flavor
so it costs more.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"trvlnmny" wrote in message
I have just used cherry for the first time. I plan to put a clear
finish on the piece. The piece has some nail holes that I would like
to hide.
What does anyone recommend I use to hide these holes?
Thanks for any and all help.

If the nail holes are along an edge, a strip of duct tape will hide them.
Looks neat and straight that way so no one will suspect they are there. If
they are in the center of the board, the stick on dots from the stationary
store do a good job and they come in a variety of colors.

Flexner, Jewitt, and Dresdner have nothing on Ed! G

Why do these posts always come from Google with an anonymous email?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/08 8:16 AMAug 5, "10x" wrote:

In article
,
trvlnmny wrote:

I have just used cherry for the first time. I plan to put a clear
finish on the piece. The piece has some nail holes that I would like
to hide.
What does anyone recommend I use to hide these holes?
Thanks for any and all help.

My preference has always been for flat black paint. A little Elmers®
wood filler, some sanding, apply the paint, and Voila, the holes are
gone.

Bondo works better than wood filer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 18:04:45 -0700 (PDT), trvlnmny
wrote:

I have just used cherry for the first time. I plan to put a clear
finish on the piece. The piece has some nail holes that I would like
to hide.
What does anyone recommend I use to hide these holes?
Thanks for any and all help.

Why did you use nails?

Posted to rec.woodworking

news
wrote:

I have just used cherry for the first time. I plan to put a clear
finish on the piece. The piece has some nail holes that I would like
to hide.
What does anyone recommend I use to hide these holes?
Thanks for any and all help.

Why did you use nails?

I read all of the replies to this thread over the last few days. The one
above WINS!
Thanks for the laugh.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I was giving the original poster the benefit of the doubt and thought
that he had utilized cherry that had been used prior to his project
and had nail holes in it that were unavoidable. I've come across a
few reclaimed walnut beams that were nail ridden but with enough good
wood that I could mill away the damage.
As far as finishing tips, trvinmny should pick up the latest issue of
Fine Woodworking because there is a nice article on cherry finishing
and how to avoid splotches.

And if he was trolling, using copper bee bees in the nail holes will
look very stylish.
Lead pellets of the same size will add contrast much like using walnut
trim on cherry and can be sanded smooth too. Depends on your taste
but the lead will be easier to apply.
Marc (who does feel that wood is holy, in the religious
sense)

wrote:

I have just used cherry for the first time. I plan to put a clear
finish on the piece. The piece has some nail holes that I would like
to hide.
What does anyone recommend I use to hide these holes?
Thanks for any and all help.

Why did you use nails?

I read all of the replies to this thread over the last few days. *The one
above WINS!
Thanks for the laugh.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 23:41:53 -0500, "Upscale" wrote:

Oh, possibly. That didn't occur to me. Because I've come to expect a
certain
level of expertise from Ed, his comment caught me off guard.

Ed's expertise does extend to the jokester realm.

Beware of the wiked quip now and then.