Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Watching Norm

Let me first say that I am a Son of Norm (SON), but I
have a couple of questions about his project today
(an old rerun, actually), where he built a dry sink
with recycled pine.

1) He used biscuits to attach the face frame. I know
this makes the project sturdier, but is this really
necessary? Doesn't gluing a faceframe pretty much
make it permanent (if done right)?

2) Norm toe-nailed brads to secure a panel (shelf)
into a dado. I know there's a lot of back and forth
about Norm's use of the brad nailer, but again, isn't
a good gluing job pretty much permanent without the
brads?

Thanks,

S.
Posted to rec.woodworking

samson wrote:
Let me first say that I am a Son of Norm (SON), but I
have a couple of questions about his project today
(an old rerun, actually), where he built a dry sink
with recycled pine.

1) He used biscuits to attach the face frame. I know
this makes the project sturdier, but is this really
necessary? Doesn't gluing a faceframe pretty much
make it permanent (if done right)?

2) Norm toe-nailed brads to secure a panel (shelf)
into a dado. I know there's a lot of back and forth
about Norm's use of the brad nailer, but again, isn't
a good gluing job pretty much permanent without the
brads?

Thanks,

S.

Samson

I know the program well. I think that Norm used the biscuits simply to
insure the frame doesn't move while drying. He also uses a lot of brads
for the same reason.

The sink would work just as well without the help but goes together
quicker this way.

Dave N
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 1, 9:06*pm, samson wrote:
Let me first say that I am a Son of Norm (SON), but I
have a couple of questions about his project today
(an old rerun, actually), where he built a dry sink
with recycled pine.

1) He used biscuits to attach the face frame. I know
this makes the project sturdier, but is this really
necessary? Doesn't gluing a faceframe pretty much
make it permanent (if done right)?

2) Norm toe-nailed brads to secure a panel (shelf)
into a dado. I know there's a lot of back and forth
about Norm's use of the brad nailer, but again, isn't
a good gluing job pretty much permanent without the
brads?

Thanks,

S.

Hi,
I think Norm uses the brads and biscults to align and hold things in
position for the TV show.
That way he doesnt have to clamp and worry about mis alignment.
I think you are correct, done properly the glue works fine, no need
for brads.
I do use biscults myself but mostly to help with alignment.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 1, 7:06*pm, samson wrote:
Let me first say that I am a Son of Norm (SON), but I
have a couple of questions about his project today
(an old rerun, actually), where he built a dry sink
with recycled pine.

1) He used biscuits to attach the face frame. I know
this makes the project sturdier, but is this really
necessary?

If Norm does it, it is necessary.

Doesn't gluing a faceframe pretty much
make it permanent (if done right)?

Unless Norm does it differently.

2) Norm toe-nailed brads to secure a panel (shelf)
into a dado. I know there's a lot of back and forth
about Norm's use of the brad nailer, but again, isn't
a good gluing job pretty much permanent without the
brads?

Again, unless Norm does it differently.

Thanks,

S.

You call yourself a Son of Norm (SON) then you question him. You were
either given or took the name samson, a more fitting name for you
might be Cronus, Kronos or even Oedipus.
http://tinyurl.com/6esep3

If you are truly a SON then you will never question 'the plaid one'
again.

Now go glue your tv channel to PBS and hit it with a few brads until
the glue dries.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"samson" wrote in message
Let me first say that I am a Son of Norm (SON), but I
have a couple of questions about his project today
(an old rerun, actually), where he built a dry sink
with recycled pine.

1) He used biscuits to attach the face frame. I know
this makes the project sturdier, but is this really
necessary? Doesn't gluing a faceframe pretty much
make it permanent (if done right)?

2) Norm toe-nailed brads to secure a panel (shelf)
into a dado. I know there's a lot of back and forth
about Norm's use of the brad nailer, but again, isn't
a good gluing job pretty much permanent without the
brads?

For solid wood construction the glue should be enough for the face frame...
assuming it stays in the correct position and tight while drying.

Re the shelves, all the glue joints would basically be end grain to long
grain which is not a situation known for strength and longevity. Nails
alone, toe nailed from both the "top" and "bottom" would give a greater
probability of permanence. Seems to me Chris Schwarz (Popular
Woodworking/Woodworking) did an article on nails within the past couple
years.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"samson" wrote in message
Let me first say that I am a Son of Norm (SON), but I
have a couple of questions about his project today
(an old rerun, actually), where he built a dry sink
with recycled pine.

1) He used biscuits to attach the face frame. I know
this makes the project sturdier, but is this really
necessary? Doesn't gluing a faceframe pretty much
make it permanent (if done right)?

2) Norm toe-nailed brads to secure a panel (shelf)
into a dado. I know there's a lot of back and forth
about Norm's use of the brad nailer, but again, isn't
a good gluing job pretty much permanent without the
brads?

Thanks,

S.

You are correct about the glue. Furniture makes had no such tools and still
built items that lasted a few hundred years. OTOH, if they had biscuits and
brads, they may have built faster. Biscuits are good for alignment, brads
are good for holding wood in place until you get a clamp in place and the
glue dries.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 1 Aug 2008 21:06:53 -0500, samson wrote:

Let me first say that I am a Son of Norm (SON), but I
have a couple of questions about his project today
(an old rerun, actually), where he built a dry sink
with recycled pine.

1) He used biscuits to attach the face frame. I know
this makes the project sturdier, but is this really
necessary? Doesn't gluing a faceframe pretty much
make it permanent (if done right)?

Sure, but if you ever tried this you would want alignment help and
biscuits are perfect for this application.

2) Norm toe-nailed brads to secure a panel (shelf)
into a dado. I know there's a lot of back and forth
about Norm's use of the brad nailer, but again, isn't
a good gluing job pretty much permanent without the
brads?

Brads lock the joint in place. I don't use brads nearly as often as
Norm. Instead, I'll leave the assembly in the clamps for a day or two.

Thanks,

S.