Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T Shake, Rattle and Roll

Just finished a 5.8 earthquake here in SoCal.

Epicenter reported to be within 20 miles.

Lasted 20-30 seconds.

The walls of my bldg moved like they were dancing.

Couple of things fell off the shelf, otherwise no damage.

Gotta love that chicken wire construction.

The sun is shining, life moves on.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Just finished a 5.8 earthquake here in SoCal.

Epicenter reported to be within 20 miles.

Lasted 20-30 seconds.

The walls of my bldg moved like they were dancing.

Couple of things fell off the shelf, otherwise no damage.

Gotta love that chicken wire construction.

The sun is shining, life moves on.

That is good for you. What was it like at the epicenter?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 29, 3:14*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Just finished a 5.8 earthquake here in SoCal.

Epicenter reported to be within 20 miles.

Lasted 20-30 seconds.

The walls of my bldg moved like they were dancing.

Couple of things fell off the shelf, otherwise no damage.

Gotta love that chicken wire construction.

The sun is shining, life moves on.

Lew

I'll turn down my stereo. Sorry about that Lew.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I was on Shemya in Alaska back in 1976 when there was a 7.6 with it's
epicenter not that far away.

Let me tell you, when you see steel reinforced concrete driveways ripple
like someone droped a stone in water, you get a sense of just how much power
is in one of those quakes.

As they used to say, 'It's not nice to mess with Mother Nature'.

Very sobering indeed....

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Just finished a 5.8 earthquake here in SoCal.

Epicenter reported to be within 20 miles.

Lasted 20-30 seconds.

The walls of my bldg moved like they were dancing.

Couple of things fell off the shelf, otherwise no damage.

Gotta love that chicken wire construction.

The sun is shining, life moves on.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 29, 3:40 pm, "Timothy Drouillard" wrote:
I was on Shemya in Alaska back in 1976 when there was a 7.6 with it's
epicenter not that far away.

Let me tell you, when you see steel reinforced concrete driveways ripple
like someone droped a stone in water, you get a sense of just how much power
is in one of those quakes.

As they used to say, 'It's not nice to mess with Mother Nature'.

Very sobering indeed....

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

Just finished a 5.8 earthquake here in SoCal.

Epicenter reported to be within 20 miles.

Lasted 20-30 seconds.

The walls of my bldg moved like they were dancing.

Couple of things fell off the shelf, otherwise no damage.

Gotta love that chicken wire construction.

The sun is shining, life moves on.

Lew

A friend of mine keeps telling me of all the small prices he has to
pay to live in "paradise." Earthquakes; forest fires galore; mud
slides; smog.

But, hey, the weather's nice when it isn't raining.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I went through the San Fernando quake (1969? 7.2), in a woodframe
house only a few miles from the epicenter.

It really is impressive to hear the roar and rumble and cracking
noises, then feel the floor move up and down in rhythmic waves.

Makes you feel how small we are, as individuals.

And remember, "Mother Nature bats last".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 19:14:47 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Just finished a 5.8 earthquake here in SoCal.

Epicenter reported to be within 20 miles.

Lasted 20-30 seconds.

The walls of my bldg moved like they were dancing.

Couple of things fell off the shelf, otherwise no damage.

Gotta love that chicken wire construction.

The sun is shining, life moves on.

Lew

When I lived in Downey, CA I survived the Whittier earthquake which
was over 6. When I got home there was broken glass all over the place
and a few gallons of salt water splashed out of the aquarium and the
medicine cabinet threw out all its contents anything glass broke. Some
people lost their TV. Since then I prefer plastic over glass, bolt
bookcases to the wall, and always know where my shoes are before going
to bed. A flashlight is helpful too. Some folks left California
after that quake, yet is was only "medium size."
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:
That is good for you. What was it like at the epicenter?

For all practical purposes, if you are within 20 miles, you're at the
epicenter.

After all, it was felt in San Diego (90-100 miles) and reportedly in
Las Vegas (300 mile range).

It has been down graded to a 5.4 and now falls into the "garden
variety" quake for SoCal, and there is no serious damage reported YET.

Some broken glass, some stuff on the floor, that's about it.

Beats the hell out of a flood, snow storms, etc.

You know, all that stuff I left Ohio to escape.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

The sun is shining, life moves on.

Great to hear you're OK!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Self wrote:

On Jul 29, 3:40 pm, "Timothy Drouillard" wrote:
I was on Shemya in Alaska back in 1976 when there was a 7.6 with it's
epicenter not that far away.

.... snip
Just finished a 5.8 earthquake here in SoCal.

Epicenter reported to be within 20 miles.

Lasted 20-30 seconds.

The walls of my bldg moved like they were dancing.

Couple of things fell off the shelf, otherwise no damage.

Gotta love that chicken wire construction.

The sun is shining, life moves on.

Lew

A friend of mine keeps telling me of all the small prices he has to
pay to live in "paradise." Earthquakes; forest fires galore; mud
slides; smog.

But, hey, the weather's nice when it isn't raining.

Yeah, that's just the natural stuff. Then you get the other fun stuff
like high housing prices, high taxes, nanny-state regulations, and a state
that "knows" pretty much every substance known to man is "known to cause
cancer".

California is a beautiful place, especially the Coastal Highway, I know
why people want to live there. The downsides though are just too daunting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Just finished a 5.8 earthquake here in SoCal.

Epicenter reported to be within 20 miles.

Lasted 20-30 seconds.

The walls of my bldg moved like they were dancing.

Couple of things fell off the shelf, otherwise no damage.

Gotta love that chicken wire construction.

The sun is shining, life moves on.

Lew

I had laid down for my 40 winks and didn't feel a thing. Nothing out of
place here.

FYI. One of the local flatlander towns nearby has a baseball stadium
called the Epicenter. Yup the local team is called the

Rancho Cucamonga
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
QUAKES! Ta-da. [rim shot]

And yes, there is a statue of Jack Benny out front.

puff puff,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote:

Yeah, that's just the natural stuff. Then you get the other fun
stuff
like high housing prices, high taxes, nanny-state regulations, and a
state
that "knows" pretty much every substance known to man is "known to
cause
cancer".

California is a beautiful place, especially the Coastal Highway, I
know
why people want to live there. The downsides though are just too
daunting.

We need more downsides.

If there were enough, maybe 10-15nmillion would leave.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 29, 11:15 pm, jo4hn wrote:

And yes, there is a statue of Jack Benny out front.

You do know that Jack Benny couldn't make it as a comedian today?

He was neither loud, nor stupid.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
On Jul 29, 11:15 pm, jo4hn wrote:

And yes, there is a statue of Jack Benny out front.

You do know that Jack Benny couldn't make it as a comedian today?

He was neither loud, nor stupid.

Nor profane enough ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

On Jul 29, 11:15 pm, jo4hn wrote:

And yes, there is a statue of Jack Benny out front.

You do know that Jack Benny couldn't make it as a comedian today?

He was neither loud, nor stupid.

Nor profane enough ...

Or angry enough.

These days the "your money or your life" gag would have resulted in a
channel surf.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 19:14:47 GMT, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Just finished a 5.8 earthquake here in SoCal.

Epicenter reported to be within 20 miles.

Lasted 20-30 seconds.

The walls of my bldg moved like they were dancing.

Couple of things fell off the shelf, otherwise no damage.

Gotta love that chicken wire construction.

The sun is shining, life moves on.

Lew

Lew.. Being a native Californian, I'm glad it was only an earthquake..

Seeing your heading, I was afraid that your table saw or lathe was out of
balance...

BTW: According to our local news, they felt tremors in Mexicali and TJ, also..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie Self wrote:

A friend of mine keeps telling me of all the small prices he has to
pay to live in "paradise." Earthquakes; forest fires galore; mud
slides; smog.

But, hey, the weather's nice when it isn't raining.

You have to realize that California is long - about as long as a
quarter
of the width of the continental. lower 48, United States, which isn't
exactly a tiny country itself. And when 0.001% of a state with as
many different environments has an "event" - the "news" - which is
mainly (and in some case, exclusively) in business to get your
attention
and hold it so they can sell advertising time - keeps showing and
screaming
about the worst case of the relatively minor situation.

In 1989, when the San Francisco Bay Area had the Loma Prieta
Quake that caused a deck of ONE of the bridges in the Bay to fall,
and maybe a mile and a half to 2 miles of a double deck freeway
section to collapse, and some condos built on bay fill leaned badly
and some caught on fire - the impression was that northern
California (KahLeeFORNeeyaah) was devasated - AND on FIRE!
I live less that 20 miles from the epicenter of that quake. I lost
a bud vase - that's it. Phones didn't work for several days and we
were without electricity for an additional day - but so what.

Now compare the California coastline, Yosemite, SF Bay, any of
the So. Cal beaches - on their worst day - with say DC or NY or
Atlanta or Dallas or New Orleans, or Chicago, or Boston - in either
mid winter or mid summer. So every once in a while the ground
does Rock n Roll, or there's a mudslide in an area where houses
should never have been built in the first place, or some houses
in the middle of a kindling pile go poof in a firestorm. Then put
the number of people affected in the context of a population that's
about 1/10th the whole nation's population - and you might be
able to understand the appeal of this state.

Oh, and if you have access to Federal Census Data, look for the
census tracts with the highest per capita or household income.
There are a couple of "OLD MONEY" census tracts with higher
incomes, but out here, it's New Money - the kind people EARN
that explains the high per household income.\

Here's another indicator to note. Here in Silly Cone Valley aka
Silicon Valley aka Santa Clara County, one quarter of one percent
sales tax comes to about $100,000,000. That's 40 Billion in
sales taxable sales so you can imagine what the number is if you
include wholesale, non sales taxable sales.

Let me put it another way. I can be at the beach/coast in 30
to 45 minutes, at Monterey Bay in an hour and fifteen minutes,
in Tahoe in three hours, in wine country in 2 hours, in SF in
45 minutes. If I want to stand in a stand of Giant Sequoias
I can, in about an hour. Yosemite - maybe 3 1/2 hours.

And if I want to see "stars" - well I just wedge a 1" mortising
chisel
in a mortise, get my chin in line with it's exit path and pull -
real
hard. DAMHIKT

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

A friend of mine keeps telling me of all the small prices he has to
pay to live in "paradise." Earthquakes; forest fires galore; mud
slides; smog.

But, hey, the weather's nice when it isn't raining.

When it isn't raining? Lets see it hasn't rained since May and it won't
again until October. But the Quake was fun yesterday. Rock & Roll.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Just finished a 5.8 earthquake here in SoCal.

Epicenter reported to be within 20 miles.

Lasted 20-30 seconds.

The walls of my bldg moved like they were dancing.

Couple of things fell off the shelf, otherwise no damage.

Gotta love that chicken wire construction.

The sun is shining, life moves on.

Lew

Lew, I'm 20 miles too. 20 miles to the east, Rancho Cucamonga. Quake was fun
and then it was over.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to rec.woodworking

jo4hn wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Just finished a 5.8 earthquake here in SoCal.

Epicenter reported to be within 20 miles.

Lasted 20-30 seconds.

The walls of my bldg moved like they were dancing.

Couple of things fell off the shelf, otherwise no damage.

Gotta love that chicken wire construction.

The sun is shining, life moves on.

Lew

I had laid down for my 40 winks and didn't feel a thing. Nothing out of
place here.

FYI. One of the local flatlander towns nearby has a baseball stadium
called the Epicenter. Yup the local team is called the

Rancho Cucamonga
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
QUAKES! Ta-da. [rim shot]

And yes, there is a statue of Jack Benny out front.

puff puff,
jo4hn

That's where I live, is there really a Cucamonga? Jack Benny
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking

"evodawg" wrote:

Lew, I'm 20 miles too. 20 miles to the east, Rancho Cucamonga. Quake
was fun
and then it was over.

Are you a Quake's fan?

Lew

(Hunkered down in Whittier)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"evodawg" wrote:

Lew, I'm 20 miles too. 20 miles to the east, Rancho Cucamonga. Quake
was fun
and then it was over.

Are you a Quake's fan?

Lew

(Hunkered down in Whittier)

I would not say I'm a fan but I have seen them play a few times. I like how
easy it is to get in and out of their field and the price. Very family
friendly.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

BABY RATTLE J T Woodworking 0 November 12th 07 10:49 AM
Dassault.Systemes.P3.CATIA.V5R17, GibbsCAM.2006.v8.0.17, Copra Roll Forming v2007, Ubeco Profil Roll Form v4.3, Mazak CPC, FANUC Robotics Simulation, Lantek, AMADA, other ... kashumoto_tokugawa UK diy 1 November 10th 06 07:18 PM
Building the roll part of a roll top desk [email protected] Woodworking 3 July 24th 06 02:26 PM
Refinishing roll part of roll top desk [email protected] Woodworking 3 June 2nd 06 02:31 PM