Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Unique Furniture Shop

My wife spotted an ad for these folks in some kinda designer magazine. I
checked out the website and was just blown away. I have seen this kind of
thing done before as onesy's and twosy's. But nothing done on this kind of
scale. Great concept and some unique, heavy duty furniture.

Check it out.

http://www.urbanhardwoods.com:80/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote

My wife spotted an ad for these folks in some kinda designer magazine. I
checked out the website and was just blown away. I have seen this kind of
thing done before as onesy's and twosy's. But nothing done on this kind of
scale. Great concept and some unique, heavy duty furniture.

Check it out.

http://www.urbanhardwoods.com:80/

And I should have mentioned that all furniture is made from recycled trees,
building materials, etc. Most of this stuff would have been converted to
firewood or chipped up for mulch. As far as I am concerned, this is the
ultimate recycling activity.

Major props to these guys for looking at old, unwanted trees and seeing
beautiful furniture in them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Great slide show!

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
My wife spotted an ad for these folks in some kinda designer magazine. I
checked out the website and was just blown away. I have seen this kind of
thing done before as onesy's and twosy's. But nothing done on this kind of
scale. Great concept and some unique, heavy duty furniture.

Check it out.

http://www.urbanhardwoods.com:80/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Really nice stuff. Many times when you see this type of stuff it is
impressive in terms of size or shape and texture but often not much
design astehetic. This stuff is pretty consistently well designed.
Really inspiring actually. I didn't (yet) take the time to see if this
is a new genre with many contributing artists or just the work of one
artisan or shop. Regardless, they have really pulled together some
nice components in terms of re-use, heaft, rustic materials and useful
and pleasing designs.

This makes me want to start crusing the salvage yards for raw
material.

On Jul 29, 12:04*pm, "Lee Michaels" wrote:
My wife spotted an ad for these folks in some kinda designer magazine. I
checked out the website and was just blown away. I have seen this kind of
thing done before as onesy's and twosy's. But nothing done on this kind of
scale. *Great concept and some unique, heavy duty furniture.

Check it out.

http://www.urbanhardwoods.com:80/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Lee Michaels" wrote

My wife spotted an ad for these folks in some kinda designer magazine. I
checked out the website and was just blown away. I have seen this kind of
thing done before as onesy's and twosy's. But nothing done on this kind of
scale. Great concept and some unique, heavy duty furniture.

Check it out.

http://www.urbanhardwoods.com:80/

Yea . I like the bold designs.
I don't see any swings.
I wonder if I should design another.
Arthur
http://www.swingplans.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 29, 3:04*pm, "Lee Michaels" wrote:
My wife spotted an ad for these folks in some kinda designer magazine. I
checked out the website and was just blown away. I have seen this kind of
thing done before as onesy's and twosy's. But nothing done on this kind of
scale. *Great concept and some unique, heavy duty furniture.

Check it out.

http://www.urbanhardwoods.com:80/

Thanks for that, Lee. I really enjoyed sitting back with a few tunes
and watching the slide show...what a nice break.
To have the time, to have the time.......
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

On Jul 29, 3:04 pm, "Lee Michaels" wrote:
My wife spotted an ad for these folks in some kinda designer magazine. I
checked out the website and was just blown away. I have seen this kind of
thing done before as onesy's and twosy's. But nothing done on this kind of
scale. Great concept and some unique, heavy duty furniture.

Check it out.

http://www.urbanhardwoods.com:80/

Thanks for that, Lee. I really enjoyed sitting back with a few tunes
and watching the slide show...what a nice break.
To have the time, to have the time.......

When I came home, my wife was watching the slide show. It goes on and on.
Talk about an abundance of resources, wood wise.

And their bandsaw makes Leon's Laguna look like a little cheapie!

Again, I am blown away by the scale of those slabs. How do you plane or
sand them? Or even move them around the shop? Can you see delivering and
installing one of those conference tables?

Think you could make a natural looking countertop out of one of those slabs?
Ot a bartop?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote

Really nice stuff. Many times when you see this type of stuff it is
impressive in terms of size or shape and texture but often not much
design astehetic. This stuff is pretty consistently well designed.
Really inspiring actually. I didn't (yet) take the time to see if this
is a new genre with many contributing artists or just the work of one
artisan or shop. Regardless, they have really pulled together some
nice components in terms of re-use, heaft, rustic materials and useful
and pleasing designs.

This makes me want to start crusing the salvage yards for raw
material.

-----------------------------------

I have seen a number of one and two man shops that have made stuff like
this. We used to have a guy in town who used to harvest big tree stumps from
the beaches of the Pacific ocean and make some very impressive coffee
tables. He used to go through sanders at a record rate. He bought them ten
at a time.

But these guys are really different. Not only do they have some good
designs, like you said. But they can actually go out and harvest the raw
tree and cut into any shape they want. They have a big shop with some hefty
size tools. Forklifts, a BIG bandsaw, lots of working room in a well lighted
facility and a bunch of employees. This is definitely not a small, one man,
garage based shop.

It also points out that this kind of endevour can succeed. A nice enough
product, extremely politically correct (super GREEN!) presented to the right
people, etc., etc. They look like they are doing well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 29, 6:11*pm, "Lee Michaels" wrote:

Think you could make a natural looking countertop out of one of those slabs?
Ot a bartop?

A bartop? Certainly. A harder working countertop, not so much. A
decorative island could work in some settings.
But a bartop could be very nice. Especially if you found the right
curve/shape and built the rest of it to 'work' with the flow.
I had the pleasure of building a bar once after the customer picked
out a slab of Paradis granite and had it cut along the large, dark,
snake-like 'S' pattern which was in the slab naturally. Just bloody
gorgeous, if I say so myself. It's nice when the client has no budget
constraints. (Curved raised panel doors made from cherry were a
fortune, but the guy did a beautiful job on those.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:23:47 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote

[...]

It's like they say about experimental aviation. "How do you make a
million in experimental aviation? - start with 2!!"

Posted to rec.woodworking

My wife spotted an ad for these folks in some kinda designer magazine. I
checked out the website and was just blown away. I have seen this kind of
thing done before as onesy's and twosy's. But nothing done on this kind of
scale. Great concept and some unique, heavy duty furniture.

Check it out.

http://www.urbanhardwoods.com:80/

I wonder if they send George Nakashimas estate a royalty cheque every
month....