Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Center-finding tape measure

An interesting low-tech gadget. It has two scales, one on each edge.
They are both labelled in inches, but the second scale is actually 50%
the size of the first one. To find the center of what you are
measuring, read the true scale, then find the corresponding number on
the other edge. That is the center.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard Evans wrote:

An interesting low-tech gadget. It has two scales, one on each edge.
They are both labelled in inches, but the second scale is actually 50%
the size of the first one. To find the center of what you are
measuring, read the true scale, then find the corresponding number on
the other edge. That is the center.

I have a center-finding two-foot steel rule I got from Lee Valley that has
proven one of the most useful gadgets I've bought in years, I use it all the
time. Whoever invented this thing deserved a big raise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DGDevin" wrote:

I have a center-finding two-foot steel rule I got from Lee Valley
that has proven one of the most useful gadgets I've bought in years,
I use it all the time. Whoever invented this thing deserved a big
raise.

Been around forever.

Find an old time drafting machine that still has the scales on it.

Engineering scales have full size along one edge, 1/2 size on the
other edge.

Very helpful when doing layouts around centerlines.

A little tip to find the centerline of a large piece.

Eyeball the piece, then estimate total length.

Divide that estimate in half, the add 6".

Layout that value from the left and mark, then from right and mark.

Measure between the marks, divide in half, layout and mark from each
side and mark.

You now have the center.

Laying out twice is usually enough.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

"DGDevin" wrote:

I have a center-finding two-foot steel rule I got from Lee Valley
that has proven one of the most useful gadgets I've bought in years,
I use it all the time. Whoever invented this thing deserved a big
raise.

Been around forever.

As a carpenter's tape measure?

Find an old time drafting machine that still has the scales on it.

I've been around long enough that I took drafting as a shop class in
high school. Same principle, different application.

Engineering scales have full size along one edge, 1/2 size on the
other edge.

Do they come in 16' lengths?

A little tip to find the centerline of a large piece.

Eyeball the piece, then estimate total length.

Divide that estimate in half, the add 6".

Layout that value from the left and mark, then from right and mark.

Measure between the marks, divide in half, layout and mark from each
side and mark.

You now have the center.

Or just use the nifty 16' tape I just described.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:38:46 -0700, "DGDevin"
wrote:

Richard Evans wrote:

An interesting low-tech gadget. It has two scales, one on each edge.
They are both labelled in inches, but the second scale is actually 50%
the size of the first one. To find the center of what you are
measuring, read the true scale, then find the corresponding number on
the other edge. That is the center.

I have a center-finding two-foot steel rule I got from Lee Valley that has
proven one of the most useful gadgets I've bought in years, I use it all the
time. Whoever invented this thing deserved a big raise.

A cheap roll of drywall paper tape comes in handy to divide a line
segment into any number of equal sections, plus it's easy to pencil in
marks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard Evans writes:

An interesting low-tech gadget. It has two scales, one on each edge.
They are both labelled in inches, but the second scale is actually 50%
the size of the first one. To find the center of what you are
measuring, read the true scale, then find the corresponding number on
the other edge. That is the center.

I saw that Lee Valley has a Golden Mean version as well.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Richard Evans wrote:
An interesting low-tech gadget. It has two scales, one on each edge.
They are both labelled in inches, but the second scale is actually 50%
the size of the first one. To find the center of what you are
measuring, read the true scale, then find the corresponding number on
the other edge. That is the center.

It's pretty easy to find centers if you're using a metric tape measu just
measure the width and divide by two -- which is much easier using a whole
number of millimeters than when using fractional inches. (Quick -- what's half
of 55 13/16 inches?)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , Richard Evans
wrote:
An interesting low-tech gadget. It has two scales, one on each edge.
They are both labelled in inches, but the second scale is actually 50%
the size of the first one. To find the center of what you are
measuring, read the true scale, then find the corresponding number on
the other edge. That is the center.

It's pretty easy to find centers if you're using a metric tape measu
just
measure the width and divide by two -- which is much easier using a whole
number of millimeters than when using fractional inches. (Quick -- what's
half
of 55 13/16 inches?)

What's half of 536 3/8 mm? ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Leon" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
In article , Richard Evans
wrote:
An interesting low-tech gadget. It has two scales, one on each edge.
They are both labelled in inches, but the second scale is actually 50%
the size of the first one. To find the center of what you are
measuring, read the true scale, then find the corresponding number on
the other edge. That is the center.

It's pretty easy to find centers if you're using a metric tape measu
just
measure the width and divide by two -- which is much easier using a whole
number of millimeters than when using fractional inches. (Quick -- what's
half
of 55 13/16 inches?)

What's half of 536 3/8 mm? ;~)

g My metric tapes don't indicate fractional millimeters. Dunno about yours.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
What's half of 536 3/8 mm? ;~)

You have a tape measure that shows 8th's of a millimetre?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
What's half of 536 3/8 mm? ;~)

You have a tape measure that shows 8th's of a millimetre?

You have eyes that can see an 8th of a mm?

Measure without tape measure. Robatoy Woodworking 60 February 16th 08 07:31 AM
tape measure mohammad Woodworking 3 May 1st 06 07:13 PM
new use for a tape measure DOC Metalworking 8 November 4th 05 10:13 PM
finding center a6016 Metalworking 7 April 9th 05 07:29 PM
Tape Measure Rip Off Sunworshipper Metalworking 4 January 26th 05 04:36 AM