Posted to rec.woodworking
Richard Evans Richard Evans is offline

Default Center-finding tape measure

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

"DGDevin" wrote:

I have a center-finding two-foot steel rule I got from Lee Valley
that has proven one of the most useful gadgets I've bought in years,
I use it all the time. Whoever invented this thing deserved a big
raise.

Been around forever.

As a carpenter's tape measure?

Find an old time drafting machine that still has the scales on it.

I've been around long enough that I took drafting as a shop class in
high school. Same principle, different application.

Engineering scales have full size along one edge, 1/2 size on the
other edge.

Do they come in 16' lengths?

A little tip to find the centerline of a large piece.

Eyeball the piece, then estimate total length.

Divide that estimate in half, the add 6".

Layout that value from the left and mark, then from right and mark.

Measure between the marks, divide in half, layout and mark from each
side and mark.

You now have the center.

Or just use the nifty 16' tape I just described.