Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where can I buy a canoe bit for a tabletop router? Also known as"ball and socket"....

I'm looking to build an outdoor cedar barrel sauna and was thinking
tongue and grove. I looked on manufacturers website and it seems that
they use a "ball and socket" type joint to join the staves together.

Anyone know where to purchase a set for grooving 1" or 1-1/2" lumber?
I've seen plenty small bits on Ebay and the like but haven't found
anything for 1-1/2" height?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"hdivr" wrote in message
I'm looking to build an outdoor cedar barrel sauna and was thinking
tongue and grove. I looked on manufacturers website and it seems that
they use a "ball and socket" type joint to join the staves together.

Anyone know where to purchase a set for grooving 1" or 1-1/2" lumber?
I've seen plenty small bits on Ebay and the like but haven't found
anything for 1-1/2" height?

You might check with Amana, they make these bits for Tambours, they might
make larger ones.

Posted to rec.woodworking

This is really a job for a shaper, not a router, and a healthy one
at that. You can look at car siding, a standard mill shape, that
may accomplish what you are after. I don't know about
availability in cedar. A local mill shop may run the material for
you.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"hdivr" wrote in message
I'm looking to build an outdoor cedar barrel sauna and was
thinking
tongue and grove. I looked on manufacturers website and it
seems that
they use a "ball and socket" type joint to join the staves
together.

Anyone know where to purchase a set for grooving 1" or 1-1/2"
lumber?
I've seen plenty small bits on Ebay and the like but haven't
found
anything for 1-1/2" height?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Look here

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops.../bt_flute.html

This is what I used for my canoe ( the 5/16" version). These do not
work well with a cheap router. The bead bit wobbled like crazy in my
old crafstman. Worked fine with the dewault.

Rich

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"hdivr" wrote in message

Anyone know where to purchase a set for grooving 1" or 1-1/2" lumber?
I've seen plenty small bits on Ebay and the like but haven't found
anything for 1-1/2" height?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,46168,46184

That bit is for 1/4" lumber. The OP was looking for 1" or 1.5".

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

hdivr wrote:
I'm looking to build an outdoor cedar barrel sauna and was thinking
tongue and grove. I looked on manufacturers website and it seems
that
they use a "ball and socket" type joint to join the staves together.

Anyone know where to purchase a set for grooving 1" or 1-1/2"
lumber?
I've seen plenty small bits on Ebay and the like but haven't found
anything for 1-1/2" height?

You might want to look at the Lee Valley internal and external
half-radius bullnose bits
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...56&cat=1,46168 and
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...57&cat=1,46168. They
can go up to 1-1/4 inch and the radii are matched for each size.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

hdivr wrote:

I'm looking to build an outdoor cedar barrel sauna and was thinking
tongue and grove. I looked on manufacturers website and it seems that
they use a "ball and socket" type joint to join the staves together.

Anyone know where to purchase a set for grooving 1" or 1-1/2" lumber?
I've seen plenty small bits on Ebay and the like but haven't found
anything for 1-1/2" height?

See:

http://allita.net/Projects/omnicat5/index.php?cat_id=0

If the link doesn't bring up the page search for:

655-701 - FLUTE AND BEAD SET

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Friesen wrote:

Upscale wrote:

"hdivr" wrote in message

Anyone know where to purchase a set for grooving 1" or 1-1/2" lumber?
I've seen plenty small bits on Ebay and the like but haven't found
anything for 1-1/2" height?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,46168,46184

That bit is for 1/4" lumber. The OP was looking for 1" or 1.5".

Chris

The subject indicates "canoe bit". I'd sure hate to portage a canoe
made out of 1.5" lumber.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
The subject indicates "canoe bit". I'd sure hate to portage a canoe
made out of 1.5" lumber.

Maybe it's a war canoe.